Classified Position Descriptions
Position Descriptions should be reviewed and/or updated once a year, usually in conjunction with an employee's performance evaluation. A paper copy, along with an electronic copy, of the signed position description should be provided to Human Resources a minimum of every 3 years.
In addition a position description should be reviewed and/or updated in the following situations; based on organizational need, when duties have changed significantly and/or when the position becomes vacant.
Writing a Position Description
- Access the Classified Position Description form from the HR web site
- Review the current position description to determine what changes you need to make, if any
- Review/print the Field Explanations for Classified Position Descriptions
- Review/print the applicable Job Class Specification - MMB
- Ask the incumbent questions
- Observe them work
- Check with HR for examples of other position descriptions for positions performing similar work
- Begin writing the position description
- Provide a paper copy along with an electronic copy of the completed and signed position description to Human Resources