DependentsPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/international/dependents.html
Dependents (F-2) are defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (<21 years of age) of an F-1 student.
- may enter the U.S. with/after the F-1 student, but never before
- cannot be employed
- must have Form I-20 each time they travel outside the U.S.
- cannot be admitted as a full-time degree seeking student (Exception: Elementary, middle school, & high school students).
- must leave if F-1 student has been outside U.S. >5 months
Inviting an F-2 Dependent
F-1 students may invite a spouse or unmarried children to join them at Minnesota State University, Mankato. You will be required to show sufficient financial resources and proof of adequate insurance.
- Complete the Request for Dependents/Responsiblity Form
- Evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, etc):
- $6,500.00 for spouse
- $3,000.00 for each child
- Passport copies for each dependent
ISSS will prepare a dependent I-20 marked "for use by dependents". The dependent(s) will then use the I-20 to apply for an F-2 dependent visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The following items must also accompany the visa application:
- Original or attested true copy of marriage certificate (spouse)
- Birth Certificate (for each child)
- Financial Documentation
- Demonstration of residence abroad
- Visa application form DS-160 and DS-157
- Passport for each applicant
When the F-2 dependents arrive in the U.S., the F-1 student must update his/her information to reflect the presence of dependents. Bring all I-20 documents and family member passports to ISSS (250 CSU) to make copies for our records.
If the F-2 dependent changes his or her status successfully to an F-1, the F-1 principal visa holder must have his/her name and dependent expenses removed from the form I-20. To do this, stop by ISSS to request this change on your I-20 by completing the Student Request Form.