Immigration ResourcesPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/international/immigrationlaws/
Students in the United States are required by immigration law to follow certain regulations in order to maintain legal status in the United States. The Kearney International Center (ISSS) is responsible for advising international students on immigration law, regulations, and for processing various immigration documents. When coming to the IC for immigration matters, we suggest that you bring your passport, I-94 card, and your I-20 or DS-2019.
It is your responsibility to know, understand and comply with immigration regulations. Please read e-mails sent to the Kearney International Center Listserve carefully. If you are not on the listserve, please contact the ISSS to subscribe (staff update the list each semester - you as an international student at Minnesota State University, Mankato should receive e-mails approximately once a week). If there is something you do not understand, contact the ISSS. Do not rely on your friends for information on immigration matters.
The IC website is organized separating regulations/procedures on on your F-1 or J-1 student status. Below is information on additional visa types and immigration-related topics.
The following link has a past Powerpoint presentation on Career and Visa options developed with IC and the Career Development Center - more recent updates are provided on D2L:
- Career and visa options presentation with IC and the Career Development Center and Corresponding Handouts
During orientation, IC provided general information about your SEVIS/non-immigrant status and options available to you. This information was presented to during a past International Student Orientation but is relevant to you at any time as reference.
Professional Development Day 2011 Presentation for MSU Faculty, Administrators, Staff entitled: "Forms for International Students - What are they for and why do you sign?"
- Diversity ("Green Card") Lottery information available - warning, no costs to apply, be wary of scams
- Immigration Attorney Reference booklet to know what an attorney can do for you and obtain a list of some immigration attorneys in the State of Minnesota (warning: list may be out of date so do your own supplemental search as well)
- NAFSA Region IV Career and Visa Option Presentation 2009
- POE Field Guide from NAFSA Workshop 2007 - a presentation provided to international student advisers about Port-of-Entry Inspection procedures
Links for additional information:
- Visa types for employment at Minnesota State University, Mankato
- International faculty and professional staff H-1B visa assistance at MSU Human Resources
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with its divisions of U.S.Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) (the agency which includes SEVIS).
- U.S. Department of State
- For updating passports, embassies/consulates located in Washington, D.C.