shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Program Extension

Page address:

If you wish to extend your stay in Mankato there are some logistical matters that you need to be aware of when your program is sponsored by MSU P-1-04472. You can also make an appointment to speak with an advisor.

Immigration matters

  1. You need to obtain permission from your host university as well as Minnesota State University, Mankato to identify if you are eligible for an extension.  This request must be done at least 30 days in advance of the end date on your DS-2019.
  2. You will need to be extended both within our MSU database and within the U.S. Department of State’s SEVIS database. You will recieve a new DS-2019s. There is no need to do anything but hold onto the new form. Keep it for entry/exit to from US and use both the old and the new one for travel (plus unofficial transcript to show pre-registration for following semester)
  3. Your initial visa can expire with no problems IF YOU REMAIN IN THE U.S. UNTIL THE END OF STUDIES
  4. IF YOU PLAN TO LEAVE THE US, you must come and talk with an advisor in the Kearney International Center first to determine whether or not you may need to apply for a new visa to re-enter the US.

Class registration for next semester

With the assistance of the Office of the Registrar, you will be allowed to register as 3rd year students to allow you to register early. Classes are very competitive so you will want to have your choices for classes ready as soon as classes are posted. If you have any questions, please contact  the Registration Help Desk located at WA 132.

Health insurance: You will see that this will be added to your account. You will need to pay this when you are approved for the extension.