English Placement Test
Who will take the English Placement Test
International Students, both Graduate and Undergraduate
International transfer students (from another U.S. college or University) who have not received MSU English Composition credit and show the MSU transfer evaluation or if their grade is less than C
The Department of Modern Languages at Minnesota State University, Mankato will conduct the English Placement Test for both undergraduate and graduate international students. MSU will use the College Board’s AccuPlacer ESL tests. General information about the test can be found at http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/accuplacer/accuplacer-esl-tests.html
Structure of the English Placement Test:
- Essay Test (30 minutes)
- AccuPlacer ESL Reading Skills
- AccuPlacer ESL Listening
Students who are exempt from the English Placement Test:
- International Students who have earned a bachelor's degree at a U.S college or university
- International transfer students (within the US)—must have at least a C for English Composition
- International transfer students (outside of US)—must provide the MSU transfer evaluation with the transfer of MSU English Composition credits
- Native Speakers of English—UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand
- TOEFL scores of 575(paper-based), 232 (computer-based) and 89 (internet-based)
- IELTS score of 6.5 or higher
If you think you fulfill the above the criteria, please bring supporting documents (score reports and transcripts) by the day of the English placement test.
You cannot retake the English Placement Test. If your English Placement Test results reveal that you have tested into ENG 105 and/or ENG 206, you must be present for and attend the first day or class. You will be given a diagnostic test on the first day of class- you therefore have another opportunity to demonstrate what you can do. There are no exceptions. Please be aware that the only criteria accepted for ESL course waivers is demonstration of your English Language Ability.
Math Placement Test
All Undergraduate students are REQUIRED to take the math placement test. Check with the Staff at the Center for Academic Success testing site prior to the test to see if you are required to take the test. Remember to bring your MavCard and #2 pencil.