D2L BrightspacePage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/its/academic/d2l.html
Desire2Learn (D2L) Brightspace is the learning management system (LMS) we use here at Minnesota State, Mankato. Whether courses are online, blended, or face to face, D2L Brightspace is the driving mechanism for delivering content or supplemental materials for courses. Also includes a place for discussions, announcements, dropbox for assignments, quizzes, gradebook, and more.
On this page, you will find simple start-up and get help information:
- Request a D2L Brightspace course
- Get started with D2L Brightspace
- Get your questions answered
- Schedule a workshop or consultation
As well as information about course requests, deletions, and upgrades:
- Course request schedule
- Course deletion schedule
- Updates schedule, release notes of updates and features
- Faculty Documentation & Getting Started for Instructors tutorial videos from D2L Brightspace
- Student Documentation & Student Technology Resource Center D2L Brightspace help
Faculty & Teaching Assistants: Get your questions answered on the spot! Stop-in or call-in to D2L Drop-in hours:
- Location: ML88, Center for Excllence and Innovation
- Phone: 507-389-1048
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to auto-create a help request ticket with the IT Solutions Center.
Customized workshops for programs, departments, and Teaching Assistants, as well as individual consultations are available on demand, contact us to schedule your training:
- Who can request a D2L Brightspace course?
- Step-by-step: How to Request a D2L Brightspace Course
- Course request becomes available approximately two months prior to each semester start:
- For Spring 2019 courses, course request is available October 17, 2018
- For Summer 2019 courses, course request is available March 13, 2019
Semester courses are removed/purged from D2L Brightspace on a two-year cycle:
- Summer 2016 (20171) courses will be removed starting October 1, 2018
- Fall 2016 (20173) courses will be removed starting February 1, 2019
- Spring 2017 (20175) courses will be removed starting July 1, 2019
Recommended best practice: Export your gradebook and course materials every semester, and save on a password protected device/server. Note: Course removal does not affect non-credit university offerings such as Development, Training, Sandbox, etc... courses.
D2L Brightspace is a cloud-based software that is updated with new features and fixes on a monthly basis around the 20th of each month. There is no monthly update in December. Faculty can preview and test out new features and changes up to a week in advance of updates in the campus Quality Assurance (QA) site. Log into the QA site with your StarID credentials. Note: QA is not a live site, students do not have access to QA.
Release Notes for Instructors: Learn about the newest updates and features of D2L Brightspace.
- September 2018: Relase Notes for Instructors (v10.8.5)
- October 2018: Release Note for Instructors (v10.8.6)
Release Notes for Students: Learn about the newest updates and features of D2L Brightspace.
- September 2018: Release Notes for Students (v10.8.5)
- October 2018: Release Notes for Students (v10.8.6)
Below you will find resources and step-by-step information for answering the most commmon questions Teacher's ask about D2L Brightspace. For additional training or help, please stop in to a D2L Drop-in Hour or contact us to set up a workshop or consultation.
- How do I add a Teacher's Assistant, Grader, or Co-Teacher to my D2L course?
- How do I share my D2L Brightspace course materials with others?
- How do I copy course materials from one semester to another?
- I have a .zip file course package, how do I import the materials into my course?
- How do I randomize quiz questions?
- How do I make a quiz with a random set of questions unique to each student?
- How to I link a grade item to an Assignment folder?
- How can I quickly make a print copy of a D2L Quiz? How can I quickly transfer a Word document quiz into D2L Brightspace? Answer: Use Respondus Quiz Maker.