Please visit the Campus Hub website for information on Tuition and Fees
Applying for Graduate Study in Spanish
You must complete three steps in the application process in order to be considered for acceptance into the Department of World Languages and Cultures graduate program. Please complete all three steps carefully:
1. College of Graduate Studies Application
You must submit your graduate school application to the College of Graduate Studies and Research first. A non-refundable application fee of $40 USD is required. See the requirements for admissions and the online application to the College of Graduate Studies and Research here: http://grad.mnsu.edu/applying/
2. International Students
International applications must also file additional documents. You can find this information at: http://grad.mnsu.edu/applying/internationalletter.html.
Note that international students applying to World Languages and Cultures Spanish master’s programs are not required to have their transcripts officially evaluated. These documents are submitted directly to the College of Graduate Studies and Research:
115 Alumni Foundation Center
Mankato, MN 56001 USA
Phone: (507) 389-2321
3. Departmental Application Packet
The Department of World Languages and Cultures application must include the following:
A. Proof of Spanish oral proficiency level of advanced low on the ACTFL proficiency scale or equivalent.
- If you would like to submit an official oral proficiency reading, you can contact the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) directly through their website to schedule an Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). You can also contact Dr. Enrique Torner on our campus to schedule an OPI. Dr. Torner is a certified oral proficiency tester for ACTFL (email@example.com).
- You can also contact Dr. Taylor (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange for alternative assessment of oral proficiency.
- If this document is submitted digitally (via email) it must be submitted as a .pdf file and labeled as follows: last name_first initial_proficiency_year.pdf. Example: morales_l_proficiency_2013.pdf.
B. A writing sample in Spanish.
- You may want to submit a paper you wrote recently for an advanced Spanish course or an essay on a literary or cultural topic of interest to you.
- If this document is submitted digitally it must be submitted as a .pdf file and labeled as follows: last name_first initial_spansample_year.pdf. Example: morales_l_spansample_2013.pdf.
C. A personal statement in English.
- Summarize your experiences and professional goals that apply to the master’s degree you wish to pursue in Spanish.
- This writing sample should communicate your plans and reasons for graduate study as well as your preparation for an advanced degree in this area.
- If this document is submitted digitally it must be submitted as a .pdf file and labeled as follows: last name_first initial_personalstatement_year.pdf. Example: jones_r_personalstatement_2013.pdf.
D. Two letters of recommendation
- One must be from an undergraduate instructor or academic advisor.
- If these documents are submitted digitally they must be submitted as a .pdf file and labeled as follows: last name_first initial_recommendation1_year.pdf and last name_first initial_recommendation2_year.pdf. Example: morales_l_recommendation1_2013.pdf.
Please submit your departmental application packet directly to:
Adriana Gordillo, PhD
Professor, Coordinator of Graduate Studies
Department of World Languages and Cultures
Armstrong Hall 227
Minnesota State University
Mankato¸ MN 56001 USA
Tel. 507-389-2116 x5527