MinutesPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/mssa/docs/minutes_years/minutes/1994-1995/minutes_2_1_95.html
1994-95 MSSA SENATE MEETING MINUTES
February 1, 1995
Meeting was called to order at 4:08 PM. Members in attendance were: Rochelle Olson (12-0-1) Brian Sutter/Tony Market-Proxy(10-0-3) Danae Blanck (13-0-0) Matthew Chase (13-0-0) Tara Mueller (4-0-0) Steve Ziller (8-5-0) John Mulcahy (13-0-0) Kristee Alm (12-0-1), Doran Hunter (4-0-0), Aaron Kurdle (3-0-1), Luayn Murphy (1-3-0) Ryan Jex (11-1-1) Leslie Knight (10-0-3-proxy Steph Schriock) Tracy Majeske (13-0-0) Stacy Rogge (3-2-1) Krista Schleicher (13-0-0) Megan Daniels (10-0-1) Jessica Johnson (11-1/2-1) Scott Vance (5-0-0), Chris Held (3-2-0) Libby Albers/Carrie Wall-Proxy (7-0-6) Emily Auseth (11-0-0) (President Kris Hammes (11-0-0) Vice President Jerry Flynn(13-0-0) Speaker Kris Esser(13-0-0) Staff members in attendance: Eddy Guzek (11-0-0)Mona Wallace (13-0-0), Naomi Marietta (9-4-0) Steph Schriock (13-0-0) Francis Klinkner(11-2-0), Steven Tkach (9-1-0)Mohammad Abbas (3-1-0)
Agenda stands approved.
Minutes of 01/25/94 stand approved with one correction
Elections Postponed for two weeks
Old Business (no Old Business)
1. Congratulatory Resolution for the Reporter's Minnesota News Association
Awards (see written resolution) 2nd Jerry. Move to approve by unanimous
A. President Kristopher Hammes (see written report)
1. MSUSA Lobby Day - Wednesday February 8
2. "State of Students" Address went well, if you want to sign the contract, let
3. February 2 9:00-10:00 A.M. Admissions Fair Table
4. Friday February 4 11:00 AM President Rush will be speaking on MSU's
budget for 95-96 in Ostrander Aud. Everyone please attend.
B. Vice President Jerry Flynn (see written report)
1. Working on Athletic issues, OCR/Gender Equity
2. Civic Center Open House/Grand Opening -shuttle busses will be leaving
every half hour from residence halls 5:00 PM-12:00 AM
C. Speaker Kris Esser
1. Reviewing many applications for FYE Search Committee
2. Woman seeking legal council has not contacted me or attorney
D. Treasurer Francis Klinkner (no report)
A. Objection to SAC appointment. Senator Kurdle abstains on all appointments
of those who are not present at the meeting.
B. Objection to Treasurer Francis Klinkner to be appointed to Constitution
Committee because of conflict of interest.
Previous question called - Tracy 2nd Steven Failed
Previous question called - Matt 2nd Scott Failed
Information needed and asked for by Senator Hunter
Jerry-explained the conflict of interest. Staff members can influence the committee to do to do our will by stacking the committee-it is "beyond our realm"
Scott called question - 2nd Tracy Motion carries
Appointment Fails Francis not appointed to Constitution Committee
2 abstentions 6-13-2
Staff and Committee Reports
A. Academic Affairs-Eddy Guzek(see written report)
B. Cultural Diversity-Mona Wallace (see written report)
C. Legislative Affairs-Stephanie Schriock
1. Lobby Day Feb 8 Leave MSU 6:00 AM or 10:00 AM. Rally starts at 12:30
Meetings w/Senators are scheduled throughout the day. Buses returning
at 5:50 PM. We would like 50 people to attend.
2. Encourage classes to write to local legislators for funding, sample letters will
be available. Give a "speel" at the beginning of your classes about writing letters
3. Go to President Rush's Budget meeting on Friday! $3-5 million short-fall is being looked
at for MSU.
4. Resolution from committee to support Security Initiative (see written resolution)
Fund five full-time Security officers for the University-Passed unanimously-
MSU Legislative platform will include this.
5. Horror story-tuition increase 20-25%-IFO estimation, Dean Trauger estimates
10%, Chancellor said 40%
6. Letter wiring can go through May-April is best time.
D. Public Affairs-
1. Camera needed for Meet the Senator pictures
2. Committee meetings are Mon @ 4PM
E. Student Affairs-Steven Tkach (Tracy Majeske-see written report)
1. Recommendation from committee to add Line Item 3 on Agenda - Student
Forum open to the gallery only
Senator Jex called question, 2nd Tracy Failed 11-9
Formal Amendment: Rochelle Olson-add a student forum to the agenda and
place it where appropriate under the discretion of the speaker
Emily 2nd Passes 2 abstentions
Senator Jex called question 2nd Tracy 2 Abstentions
2. Recommendation from committee to recommend each senator to write 15 letters to
to legislators. Previous question called 2nd Passed
F. SAC-Jim Louis
1. Talk of either dept. retrenchment or retirement cuts to help w/deficit.
2. Recommendation to let Health Services use depreciation and current budget
($44,913.59) for a computer system contingent upon use of the MavCard with in
two years. Passed 1 no.
3. Bylaw addition to Article 7, Section 1. Add treasurer to be ex-officio non-voting member (along w/pres and vice-pres.)
Question called-Ryan 2nd Steven Fails Big concern about a conflict of interest.
Question called-Scott 2nd Ryan Fails
Jim Louis-Chair SAC is in favor of this.
Ryan called question 2nd Mona Passes Main Motion Passes 12-4-5
4. Recommendation to give $1,000 to MSSA for Washington D.C. Lobby Trip.
Senator Chase-motion to suspend the rules 2nd Steph 16-5 Passes
Motion to recess for 8 minutes 2nd.
Called to order at 6:35 PM Roll Call taken.
Arguments took place to up the figure back to the original $1,110.00 SAC took
away the $110 which allotted only $6.90 for food in a day.
Amendment: Motion to up the SAC $ back to $1,110.00. Krista 2nd.
Tracy called question Ryan 2nd Fails 10-8
Kris Esser called question 2nd Passed
Amendment voted on Yes Passed 12-5-2
Main motion of funding $1,110.00 Passed
Eddy called question Tracy 2nd Passed
*Be it noted-Kris Esser didn't agree w/amendment. Scott Vance was not
allowed to make an amendment requesting fundraising be done to pay
SAC back. Steven Tkach agrees w/Scott. Jerry was Speaker and did not
participate in vote.
Recommendation to give $2,431.00 to forensics for their trip to Wisconsin for the
National Competition. Chris called the question. Ryan 2nd Main Motion Passes
14-5 1 abstention
G. Union Board-Matthew Chase
1. Lincoln's Ten Commandments. Recommendation from committee to hang
the art work. MSU College Republicans brought forth art work to hand in the
Lincoln Lounge and donated it to the CSU.
Doran called previous question. 2nd Ryan Fails There was lots of discussion on
this subject. Concerns were the subject matter and political.
Motion-provided that this plaque is authentic (make sure the quotes are correct)
the artwork should be displayed and approved by the History Dept. 2nd Emily
2nd Tracy Fails Amendment Passes 10-8
Tracy-previous question 2nd Ryan
Main Motion as Amended Passed 2 abstentions (Steph abstained), Mona voted
no because of amendment, Jerry voted no because of amendment.
2. Recommendation to approve $400 for two new baby changing tables. Question
called 2nd Fails
Amendment to make sure recommendation reads one baby changing table in a men's restroom and one in a women's restroom. 2nd Steph
Previous question called-Tracy 2nd Steven Passed
Main Motion as Amended Passed unanimously
3. Recommendation from committee banner hanging policy.
Jerry move to table fro two weeks-as Old Business. 2nd Tracy
Steph-motin to suspend the rules to bring new business back 2nd Jerry Passed
Steph move to support a $.02 increase only of the MSUSA fee and that MSSA/Senate share its concerns with the HEB. 2nd Jerry
Tracy called question 2nd Steven Fails
Main Motion Passed 4 abstentions. Mona abstained on the limit of the increase
H. Urban Affairs-Matthew Chase
1. Resolution (see written resolution) Judson Road bike/walk dedication
2nd Mona Unanimous consent motion passed
2. Mass Transit meeting information-Home Ride survey
Matthew-move to begin fundraising for the Home Ride Program as Urban Affairs
Coordinator 2nd-Eric Passes Unanimously
3. Move to form an Urban Affairs Committee 2nd Danae
Previous question called-Danae 2nd Emily Main Motion Passes
I. MSUSA Campus Representative-Matthew Chase
Nominated as Vice Chair-Kris Hammes for MSUSA
J. Constitution Committee-Eric Bakke
Apologized to Jerry Flynn for reaction to Senate's will.
A. Tracy Majeske (see written report)
Eric Bakke Fan Club
Francis expressed his disappointment in not being appointed to the Constitution Committee
Kris Esser-Student Forum issue-didn't want to have agenda hindered, totally in favor of a Student Forum
Jerry expressed his opinion about the Constitution Committee nomination and stated he did not say staff shouldn't be on committee. Francis is an excellent treasurer, he's laid every doubt to rest, he's gone beyond every expectation I've had in this position.
Thank you from Steven to Tracy and Matt for driving for his fund-raiser.
Quote: The choices we make dictate the life we lead!
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 9:06 PM