shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minutes

Page address: https://www.mnsu.edu/mssa/docs/minutes_years/minutes/1998-1999/minutes_02_03_99.html

Minutes
66th MSSA Senate
February 3, 1999 Minutes

Meeting called to order at 4:00 P.M.
Roll Call
Senators Present
Houa Vue 8-3-0, Chelsea Dullard 18-3-0, Bob Pavlenko 5-2-0, Adam Hutzenbuhler 11-0-0, S.R. Nithy 2-0-0, Andrew Marshall 1-0-0, Kyle Jarvis 20-1-0, Lucretia Burgess 17-4-0, Laura Depuydt 21-0-0, Chris Boyce-proxy Tina England 14-1-6, Vicki Edwards-Merton 15-3-3, Nate Prouty 15-1-3, Arif Khan-proxy ­Chris Elvebak 5-2-4, Abdoul Aziz- proxy Corey Howk 5-8-8, David Paulzine 1-0-0, Muhammad Qamar 1-0-0, Andy Welti 7-0-0, Phil Rowan 20-1-0, Tim Huebsch 2-0-0, Ken Feucht 12-0-0, Chris Hennek 2-0-0
Senators Absent
Marie Ntangsi 9-8-4, Mohammed Rafizuzzaman 11-8-2, Mickey Cupkie 8-3-0, Rachel D. Noah 17-2-2, Helen Mbuagbaw 7-1-0,
Executive Staff Present
President Jason Kocina 21-0-0, Vice President Sylvia Oelberg 20-1-0,
Campus Coordinator Kyle Jarvis 20-1-0, Legislative Affairs Coordinator Chris Elvebak 19-1-1, Assistant Campus Coordinator Bob Pavlenko 17-1-0, Macharia Githaiga 4-2-0

Approval of Minutes ­January 27, 1999 (approved)

Committee Reports
a) Elections Committee ­ Chair Jason Kocina
(see yellow document) Highlighted changes: Article I: Clerical-institution name,
refers to next semester, intent of rule. Article II. Sec A-change to semester system and closing date Sec B- eliminated last sentence, making it easier to understand. Article II, Sec 2-switch to semester system Article IV Sec B strike one large poster, concern is over "what is a wall"? Large posters fall under same guidelines as small poster. Article V, Sec A clarification. Subsection 3 ­ reflects change of office hours
Senator Rowan-has the proportionate for colleges been looked at?
President Kocina-that is done one week prior to official campaigning.
Senator Hennek-Article IV is this for each candidate?
President Kocina-joint expenditure, yes this is for each candidate.
Senator Hennek-the maximum amount is $200 per candidate?
President Kocina-yes that is correct
Election Rules R# 02.03.99A Passes President Kocina abstained
Time line of events etc. will be posted in office.
Vice President Oelberg-has the committee talked about getting people involved
and getting the word out about elections?
President Kocina-committee will be talking about this at next meeting.

Elections
a) Allied Health & Nursing (no candidates )
b) Gage A (no candidates)
c) Graduate Studies
Candidate: Andrew Marshall-Graduate student in College of Education
Elect - Andrew Marshall

d) Off-Campus
Candidates: Jesse Palmer, David Paulzine
Mr. Palmer-was a senator last year. Would like to work on Dial-in-Accounts
for Off-Campus students.
Mr. Paulzine-Jr. Political Science major. Previously involved with MN State Community College system, was involved with state appropriation committee.
Senator Khan-Proxy Elvebak-state your lobby experience
Mr. Palmer, very little experience with lobbying.
Mr. Paulzine-attended advocacy days when involved with community college
Senator Hennek-do you have anything further you would like to see done on campus?
Mr. Paulzine-would like to learn about Off-Campus affairs.
Mr. Palmer-would like to see more money in the technology fee, would
like to see us educate Off-Campus students. Many students do not know where to go, or even that we have a lawyer.
Senator Edwards-Merton-are you involved with any other activities on campus?
Mr. Palmer-besides course work, do not have any involvements. Free
Wed. nights.
Mr. Paulzine-currently work at Young America, would devote 8-10 hours to senate
Mr. Paulzine-I feel I have the experience from past involvements at
Community college to do the best job for Minnesota State
Mr. Palmer-I am familiar with issues, such as Parking, SAC. Know people on and off campus.
Elect - Mr. David Paulzine
e) Undeclared (no candidates)

Officer Reports
a) President - Jason Kocina
Appointments: Commencement Adhoc Committee-Tina England, Andy Welti,
Bookstore Advisory-Tim Huebsch, Leg Affairs-David Paulzine
General information: How to proceed if you are helping someone with a problem with the Reporter or MN River Review-Customer Feedback Sheet (available in office)-talk to Reporter or MN River Review Editor first, then can fill out a Customer Feedback Sheet.
City issues-we should work with the City Council. Received a complaint on people failing to yield to crosswalks. City Patrolmen at crosswalks in AM.
Room and Board rates and Union Board fees are due at Minnesota State. Room and Board
rates have been reviewed. Union Board has been given a preliminary fee, this
is under review.
Food Service contracts are being reviewed in the Twin Cities. Senator Boyce
is in the cities now working on this recommendation.
Bookstore contracts are being sent out, Bookstore Advisory will review bids
and determine through this process a new contract. Bring issues for Meet & Confer
to President for agenda.
b) Vice President - Sylvia Oelberg
Tenant Forum was a success, students had questions answered. Thanks to Senator Dullard and Reporter, we had very good coverage. From this forum
we have decided to create a book that will be available in the office to help answer questions.
This week reporting on the Wrestling team. Last week our wrestling team defeated 12th ranked Division II Augustana 45-0. Several of the individual team members are now ranked in first place. This weekend they host the #2 and #3 ranked teams in Division II, Nebraska Omaha and NDSU. Both matches will be held at 7:00 PM in Otto Arena. Very important that you recognize all sports and students.
Thanks to those senators that have worked at the senate table, especially Senator Rowan and Senator Dupuydt. We continually need to get students involved. Newsletter will be done next week. This will cover general information regarding election announcements, open senate seats and committees.
Union Board-regarding lockers that are there for handicapped students, they are possibly going to be removed. We will look into keeping these available for students.
We have a roach problem. I checked into this and found out that we have a contract with an exterminating company.
Candy Cart-was not quite what we wanted. Company will be changing appearance, so it will not attract the bugs that we have.
Spoke at a FYE class today. Enlightening experience.
Ate at Carkowski-found one student that is not having dietary needs met.
Did find some positives, we will be working on other issues. Will continually
work with ARAMARK.
Volunteered with Student Events Team today. They have a big job serving all students.
In two weeks we will be hosting 200-.300 students for Pan African Conference.
Help them out on campus, be available to answer questions. They are looking
at the college of their future.
Support students sleeping on Rugby field to raise funds for homeless.
Nametags-thank you to whoever returned my name tag. New nametags
available, will be ordering them on campus.
Group Photo-Feb 17.
Senator Edwards-Merton-good report but the roaches grossed me out.
Vice President-Roaches are mainly in mechanical rooms.
Senator Dullard-what was the roach incident?
VP-Dealing only with the Union and I only saw one roach.
Senator Qamar-were there any complaints against ARAMARK?
Senator Dullard-the reason the contract is being rebid is because the
contracts were up at this time. Many students were talked to about ARAMARK.
There are changes that we want to see happen, they were requested before bids went out .
Senator Qamar-ARAMARK-seems to violate some laws, International students
are working more than 20 hours per week.
Asian New Year-Feb. 13. Would like this to be a group gathering, sign up will be on door.
c) Speaker - Dan Van Every
Recognized Student Organizations:
MenÕs Club Volleyball, Mass Communication Club, BGLAD (Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, and Ally Development) organization

Staff Reports
a) Legislative Affairs Coordinator Elvebak
Tax matters Reduction-(see copy)
Rush Stanton-IFO Lobbyist-Governor Ventura-came up with a $121 million increase in the budget. This is huge. Money is earmarked for faculty salary and tax relief programs, tech fees, and tech grants. This is the best budget proposal we have seen in years. We will send e-mails tomorrow to the governor.
Note the letter in Reporter regarding Lobby Day. February Monitor lists top five legislative priorities, please review before Lobby Day.
Record breaking semester for Penny Fellowship- recently awarded the highest number of Penny; Fellowships for a single semester.
MSU student received Fellowship - Catherine Thielbar, a senior interning with Three Rivers Community Action, Inc. in Faribault.
Students at Moorhead State living in Neumaier Hall were told they had three weeks to get out of their residence because their building might collapse, we may have bugs but at least our buildings arenÕt collapsing.
Lobby Day Agenda-Leg committee will leave Tuesday night for 8:00 AM
meetings. 9:00 Press Conference. 10:00 meeting with Finance committee
cancelled, due to moving committee to U of MN. At this time Finance
committee is not changing schedule to meet with Minnesota State. Van will
leave MSU at 10:00 sharp for noon meeting. At 12:15 students converge
in mass on Capitol steps. Rally in Rotunda at 1:15. Teams will be assigned
to meet with individual regional reps. This is our chance to partake
in our political responsibilities.
Budget request for Minnesota Colleges and Universities (copy available
in office) also received Session Weekly, HESO (handouts available for perusal)

Senator Reports
a) Phil Rowan
You are all designated representatives of the students, you speak for them, and act in their best interests. I would like to remind you about the MSUSA Lobby Day and student Rally scheduled for February 10th. This is an important event because of the current state of the state. Our governor has released his proposed budget for the new biennium. Minnesota State has asked for an increase of about $240 million. The governor has proposed an increase of about $121 million. A ten percent increase in spending but only 50% of the increase asked for. This increase will cover faculty contract raises and inflation. The purpose of Lobby Day is to attempt to persuade the state legislators how they should vote on issues regarding higher education. The purpose of the rally is to draw attention to these issues. As representatives of the students, it is our duty to go to Lobby Day and the Rally to act in the studentÕs best interest and speak for them. The studentsÕ voice needs to be heard this year. We need to draw the needed attention. I urge all of you to go to the capital next Wednesday, to speak for your constituents. Please clear your schedules, your instructors will understand, and most likely support you. ItÕs in the studentÕs best interest and yours!

Announcements
Senator Jarvis-regarding Tax Credit-forms in office.
Vice President Oelberg-Billiards Tournament in Gameroom this Saturday.
Senator Huebsch-ACC recognition Friday.
President Kocina-Senator Huebsch has done a wonderful job of updating
Web page, check out your name etc.

Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 5:45 PM
Roll Call
Senators Present
Houa Vue, Chelsea Dullard, Bob Pavlenko, Adam Hutzenbuhler, Andrew Marshall, S.R. Nithy, Phil Rowan Abdoul Aziz-proxy Corey Howk, Chris Boyce-proxy Tina England, Vicki Edwards-Merton, Chris Hennek, Andy Welti, Lucretia Burgess, Kyle Jarvis, Arif Khan-proxy Chris Elvebak, Tim Huebsch, Muhammad Qamar, Laura Depuydt, David Paulzine, Nate Prouty, Ken Feucht
Senators Absent
Marie Ntangsi, Mickey Cupkie, Mohammed Rafiquzzaman, Rachel D. Noah, Helen Mbuagbaw
Executive Staff Present
President Jason Kocina, Vice President Sylvia Oelberg