shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minutes

Page address: https://www.mnsu.edu/mssa/docs/minutes_years/minutes/2003-2004/02-18-2004.html

Meeting called order by Speaker Zach Biesanz

Senators Present (Present-Absent-Proxy-Excused)

Jessica Cichy 15-0-0, Rebecca Schaffer 2-1-0, Muhammad Jiwani 11-3-0, Nicole Schultz 4-0-0, Mohammed Omar 3-0-0, Irfan Bangash 21-0-1, Greg Lessard 20-2-0, Taku Kurashige 2-0-0, Bryan Hart 20-0-1-1, Faizan M. Khan 21-1-0, Ryan Flynn 3-0-0, Nathan Entinger 15-0-0, Adam Weigold 3-0-0, Kail Decker 15-0-0, Megan Brandt 21-0-1, Ian Radtke 21-1-0, Rachel Mudd 21-1-0, Trevor Fleck 3-0-0

Senators Absent

Abbas Raza 9-5-1

Executive Staff Present

President Rhys Gaffer, Vice President Shahzad Anwer

Elections: Graduate Studies

Graduate Senator applicant-Stacey Stump. Currently advisor in LGBC. I am a strong advocate for everyone to have a voice.

President Gaffer-What motivates you to want to be on senate?

Ms. Stump-I wanted to be a senator as an undergraduate but academics did not allow. I understand that now is the season of change and I want to be a part of that.

Senator Weigold-What is your opinion on the current status of things supported by student activity fees?

Ms. Stump-I don’t know about all the activities that are supported but I am learning.

Senator Cichy-What committees are you interested in?

Ms. Stump-Student Union Board and Student Allocations.

Vice President Anwer-Are there certain things you would like to work on?

Ms. Stump-I would like to see everyone treated equally; I am interested in the smoking policy.

Senator Hart-What prevented you from running for this seat earlier in the year?

Ms. Stump-I was an undergrad doing an internship in Iowa last semester.

Senator Hart-Would you consider continuing in this capacity if elected?

Ms. Stump-I am actively willing to learn, I see a need, and I want to be fair with everyone. I lived

in the dorms, I have many connections.

Elected: Stacey Stump-Graduate Studies Senator.

Presentation-Don Descy-Learning Technology Roundtable Co-chair

This Roundtable started in 1996. It is represented from all areas of campus, including students.

We are an advisory body that has to do with technology. We work on issues such as on-line grading, funding, and wireless. The committee needs the voice of the students; this is an open meeting for

all students to attend. Everyone is fighting the same battles. We work on wireless issues and many

other issues all concerning technology on campus.

President Gaffer-What is coming forward that we will be working on?

Mr. Descy-Novelle and links on the Web portals. It will be like your own web page with links to

your major, mail, weather, etc.

Presentation-Kevin Buisman, Director of Intercollegiate Athletics

Process of Athletic review-this pertains to the budget process and I owe this body an update on

that process as you are certainly one of the biggest investors. Last November The President appointed a work group to study core issues in athletics. We had a short time frame to work on this before the draft report was forwarded to the president in January. The university has a significant gender equity problem pertaining to maintaining a proportionate number of participation opportunities consistent with the university’s undergraduate enrollment population. Without immediate attention to the current gender equity plan, the university could be in jeopardy of facing another Title IX complaint. The charge to the committee addressed four major objectives, including the scope of programming, placement of programming, funding and facilities. I am giving you an abbreviated recommendation from what was passed on to the president. There are some major issues, gender equity and budgets. When we discuss elimination it is very sensitive and that has been excluded from this report until the President reviews this. The work group felt they were finishing the work of President Rush’s committee, a committee on the Future of Athletics that met for 18 months. They studied similar issues but things were never completed. One theme central to both committees-what we do, we will do well. We tried to focus on the mission of the athletic review-what should you expect? Corrective programming changes should be undertaken to allow remaining sports in the portfolio to be financially sound, competitively funded and gender equity compliant. There are many strategies that could be developed to address these issues, the work group tried to narrow its focus on alternatives that seemed most reasonable, with due consideration to factors like gender equity, budget, comparative programming, fan support, community interest, team history and tradition, and the program’s ability to compete at the conference, regional, or national level.

With the changes that have occurred in the North Central Conference a new day is dawning and MSU must be poised to seize the moment. With traditional powers such as Northern Colorado and North Dakota State leaving the conference MSU can affirm its commitment to Division II athletics and become a premier athletic program in the Midwest.

Gender Equitable-looks at proportionate of undergraduate enrollment. Proportionality –we have added women’s sports, we still have gaps between men and women. We also need to demonstrate that we are meeting needs of underrepresented. We have a problem; participation has climbed on men’s

side, women’s side has dropped. Our undergraduate enrollment is made up of 47% men and 52% women. With 566 participants it is 61% men and 38% women, that is the first thing OCR looks at. There needs to be equal access of facility, scholarship, personnel.

There are four different schedules-first, where we are currently-that is the problem at hand. 14.7%

Differential. How does this happen? A lot of times when you have problems, people say the men

are creating the problem, there is shared responsibility here. The women’s programs have undershot

their target-they are under by 71. Men are over by 55. Some say it is easier to cap then recruit

women. The plan is flawed, we have 5 or 6 years to make this work. Men are always over,

women are always under. We need to build in accountability or face a lawsuit. You have to

demonstrate compliance or risk all institution funding. If the men held the line given where the

women are in participation we would still have a 10 point problem. We need a new plan. We

have a possibility on the women’s side. We need to ditch the participant plan we now have. Financially-you need a good picture of what you are putting your money in. Scholarships

n North Central (see handout). By and large we are not funded similar to other institutions. This is for all our programs. We want to emerge competitively funded. Tuition increases hurt all of the campus. There is no other department affected like athletics, budget cuts, tuition increases, over the last four years have amounted to almost 45%-during that same period we have only been able to come up with 28% purchasing power-that is bringing in athletes and giving scholarships. When we lose ground to tuition, we fall behind. In the number of sports we offer we are equal to St. Cloud, We offer 22 sports, we are larger than our piers in offering of sports. This is to provide notice that these issues will continue to be addressed. March 15 is deadline for cabinet to react. I think that you are a key constituency that needs to know as soon as anybody what is going to happen in the athletic department.

President Gaffer-You repeatedly said we are largest contributor, yet we did not have a student

on the work group.

Director. Buisman-The President appointed the members to the group.

Senator Decker-How are other schools meeting these issues and do they have gender issues?

Director Buisman-Each school does this differently. It would appear that the majority of schools have an issue but they may not be forced to comply. We are not alone in this issue but we are focused on our problems not other campuses. This only becomes an issue if you face a law suit. Some states require compliance before they are eligible for financing. So. Dakota will be cutting sports and implementing caps and their senate approved a $.40 per credit increase to address gender equity.

Senator Lessard-Are you aware of research being done on high school programs to encourage women

to participate in athletics or do they not want to play or is it in recruiting?

Director Buisman-All of those, student athletes compete for different reasons. Some guys just want

to be part of a team, you won’t find that on the flip side. Gender equity is still at the lower level,

volume has not been built upon the collegiate level. A lot of money has been moved from men’s

programs to women’s programs. Women have a lot of choices on where they will accept their

scholarship from, there are a lot of programs that have been blessed with a lot of resources.

Senator Stump-In regard to recruiting have there been efforts to increase numbers to 291?

Director Buisman-Why can’t the women get up to 291? Do we tell the women coaches they need to have 5 more in their programs, or do we tell the men to draw the line? What can the women reasonably attain? This is the starting point, you can cap men’s participation. It is harder to build and recruit on the women’s side. I think we can do 260-we can do this with additions in track. A female in both indoor and outdoor track can count three times for the program. Adding 10 women that can run indoor and outdoor and softball can pick up a few more, basketball can pick up a few more. We are talking about eliminating about 100 men-women need to get there. We have one coach in women’s track-this is a liability issue. If they are to increase, we may have to add a coach.

Senator Cichy-What is the lawsuit you are talking about?

Director Buisman-In the early 90’s we had a complaint, they sued on a disparity of proportionality. We said we would comply to 290 and we have drifted until we are at risk.

Senator Cichy-How do they know of the issue?

Director Buisman-If there was compelling evidence of a significant problem they would investigate.

Senator Hart-It is my understanding that a club hockey guy was pulled up to play on the hockey team.

How can Campus Rec Help?

Director Buisman-I think this would bring in a quality issue. You could not count this on this.

Senator Mudd-Do you think counting one person 3 times is right?

Director Buisman-This is a standard set forward by compliance.

Senator Mudd-Do you think you would put your efforts in track then?

Director. Buisman-Yes, but they would have to participate in all three to be counted. This is potentially where our biggest gains or losses can count.

President Gaffer-I am disappointed to see how you compare us with other schools in regard to scholarships. Isn’t it true you should be talking to your coaches or advancement instead of telling us about the comparisons?

Director Buisman-This is information available from the conference, this is the only comparative

data available. We don’t have personnel budgets etc. You should be concerned about scholarship

funding because scholarship drives competitiveness. There is a correlation in scholarship funding

and success. There needs to be pay back in accomplishment. What do we want outcomes to be?

Scholarship is an important factor in success. We put money into operations but we need money

but we need money for scholarships as well.

Senator Cichy-We don’t have a women’s program equal to football do we?

Director Buisman-There is no off-setting similar program on the women’s side. If we did not count

football-pull if from the equation, then we would be closer to undergraduate proportionality.

Senator Weigold-Did you elude to women’s track being the savior for this?

Director Buisman-This is how others count participation, I guess you can debate that. I don’t see

how we can have growth in any other programs. The track coach would love to have more participants is she can manage. I think this is the best opportunity for us to grow. The other 8 women’s sports could not add 50 people. The other women’s coaches don’t want to add too many numbers, large numbers can create problems, detract from overall experience.

Senator Schaffer-Given this information, what would you like to see us do?

Director Buisman-Rhys had issues with participation on committee. We can have a work group work

on this. There are things that will potentially happen this spring we want you to be more informed.

Senator Decker-How can you prevent women from enrolling in the university?

Director Buisman-That would be the answer, but I don’t see that happening.

Senator Stump-Men’s football team-why should we fund a team that continues to lose?

Director Buisman-You hear suggestions, drop football, put funding into other sports,

problem is, there is a requirement that to participate in the NCC you have to have a football program.

If you don’t have a conference everyone acts independently, this is a scheduling and budgeting nightmare.

Senator Stump-How many of 85 players in foot ball play both ways?

Director Buisman-Football is unique sport, injuries etc. 85 is the lowest number in the conference.

Senator Weigold-In your opinion is it necessary to have football?

Director Buisman-Football creates institutional pride, higher showcase. In our conference we

have to scramble to have enough games. If football was not a requirement-they league would

be in even more trouble.

Senator Fleck-What kind of revenue do the sports bring in?

Director Buisman-What is significant to one sport is insignificant to another. We do not have

one sport that is self sustaining. Most sports do not generate significant amounts of revenue.

Hockey generates the most with close to $400-500 hundred thousand.

Senator Schultz-Why do conferences require a football team?

Director Buisman-They have been around for a long time, maybe other things came around

Because of football. Back in the day, football carried other programs.

Senator Hart-Hockey is a bread winner-if students paid for tickets would that be a benefit?

Director Buisman-It would help if it was an incremental gain. Ultimately I think it would

harm student interest until hockey gets better than it is. Some opponents are not attractive, it

would be hard to make this self supporting. We have to pay for rent at All Seasons-if we

had to do that we would not even be in the ball park. You should scream when you compare

us to St. Cloud, they do not have to pay rent, they get concessions. Hockey drives the train because

there are so many opportunities.

Senator Brandt-Are you going to have a hockey ticket package next year?

Director Buisman-Not without discussion from this body. It was fairly well accepted, by and large this was a good response, we are getting numbers together to see if is best to do this or not. We felt amount of revenue generated was good, students showed up. They made an investment and came even when the team struggled.

Senator Cichy-Don’t we have a high turn out rate in hockey?

Director Buisman-Our attendance is not among the leaders. We are proud of our attendance, it is

growing. We have a smaller arena than other some WCHA schools.

Approval of Agenda Agenda approved

Approval of Minutes (2-04-04) Minutes stand approved

Officer Reports

President Rhys Gaffer

Appointments: Bookstore Advisory-Marcus Peters, Gaynor Gordon

Steering Committee-Rebecca Shaffer, Elections Committee-Nicole Schultz, Rachel Mudd,

Student Services Committee-Andrew Duffy, Student Technology Roundtable-Joseph Finn, Affirmative Action Search Committee-Rhys Gaffer, Vice President of Student Affairs Search Committee-Delia Gutierrez, Kail Decker, Student Union board-Taku Karashige

Thanks to all senators who came to the office and joined in on the MSSA Email Brigade in contacting members of our state legislature and higher ed/capital budget committees. Governor Pawlenty named Susan Heegaard the new director for HESO. Her past experience has been to push for reform and innovation in education. She also is a former lobbyist for the Minnesota Private College Council. Something that should set off major alarms to all student attending public higher Ed institutions. The Parking Advisory Committee is holding its annual hearing tomorrow at 1 PM in the Ostrander Auditorium.

Senator Mark Dayton will be at Dr. Kunkel's Legislative Process class tomorrow from 9:30 to 10:30 to discuss HEA and how budget cutbacks and under funded financial aid programs impact students. You may attend, but please remember that the first q&a belongs to the students in that class. Next Wednesday, Senator Dayton’s field staff for our area will be here at our Senate meeting and committee meetings to talk about the HEA and receive our feedback if you haven’t already done so, please read the HEA docs in our office. It is helpful, we can send out the URL info to all of you so you can access this info, too. A simple Google search would yield the same results.

A new Technology Fee Recommendation group will be able to see how our fees fit into larger technical budget, this is what MSSA has been asking for four years.

Note-in the future, given our 10 minute time constraints I will send out emails to senators if there is

information I need to give you.

Senator Lessard-I need help trying to get out reach on the tech fee?

President Gaffer-Lets sit down and discuss that and I will discuss this with coordinators so we

can get this out before it happens.

Vice President Shahzad Anwer

March 18th-Tenant/Landlord Forum 12-1:30. Met with Sean McGoldrick, VP of Facilities. We

discussed an issue of a girl falling and breaking her nose. I will be meeting with Chris Connolly

about a misdiagnosed patient. Please sign up to staff the table for email brigade. This can count

as your office hours. Last semester I discussed a coop program in town and now the Deans are

having a discussion regarding this. We will also be meeting with Dr. Olson on this. A lot of senators are concerned about not getting information from the coordinators. The coordinators all keep many office hours and they have bulletin boards where they post things. They will answer any question you might have. Dance tonight in the ballroom.

Speaker Zach Biesanz

Recognized Student Organizations:

Corrections Club, Disability Awareness and Advocacy Group (DAAG), Music Industry Club, NSSLHA-National student Speech Language Hearing Association, Psychology Graduate Studenjt Association, Society for Technical Communication (STC)

Resignations: Arts & Humanities-Ryan Deimerly, SET-Sudeep Shrestha, Off-Campus- Abuzar Iqbal

Aikido will be giving demonstrations Friday and Saturday night.

Committee Reports

SAC-Jeet Sausen, Chair (Nate Entinger)

SAC R#02.12.04A

SAC recommends funding up to $450.00 to Circle K International to attend the Annual District Convention in Bismarck, North Dakota.

Nine students will be attending; total expenses will be $1500.00. They did fund raising, and

personal contributions.

Motion passes

SAC R#02.12.04B

SAC recommends funding up to $750.00 to M.S.U. Habitat for Humanity to travel to

Arlington, Virginia to help build Habitat homes.

Fifteen students will be going during spring break. This is the 10th year they have been going.

They have raised $450.00 through car washes, national organizations, and personal contributions. Total expenses are $5,000.00.

Senator Hart-This is a good trip, they do build in town and they will be doing so this Sat.

Senator Weigold-I rise in favor of this.

Motion passes

SAC R#02.12.04C

SAC recommends funding up to $1,000.00 to USITT (United States Institute for Technical Theatre, MSU Student Chapter) to attend a conference in Long Beach, CA

They attended this conference last year. This is for their career field. This conference is

a valuable resource for their program.

Senator Stump-How much do they personally contribute?

Nate Entinger-Meals and lodging will be out of pocket.

Senator Lessard-Is this a special conference or does Long Beach possess something

that can not be found around here?

Nate Entinger-This is a National Conference, they do not have a choice on the location.

Motion passes

Academic Affairs-Bryan Hart, Chair

Higher Ed Reauthorization Act next Wednesday. Material will be posted on bulletin board.

Academic Policy changes on issues will be on board; motions will come forward next week.

Coordinator Reports

Bryan Hart, Legislative Affairs Coordinator

Reason for the Season-Bonding Bill

Last Wednesday over a dozen students from MSU participated in the MSUSA Lobby Day. I would like to thank Senator Weigold for driving up early with me. We set up our visual presentation of the Trafton project in the Great Hall of the Capitol building at 9:00 AM. Senator Weigold and Senator Decker also entertained with their guitars while we were hustling about the State Capitol and State Office Building. Guys, always a pleasure. I would also like to thank the Alumni Relations Office for their permission to use their MSU Logo, hardhats and easel. The fellows in Facilities Management were very helpful the day before Lobby Day by providing us with corrugated information sheets about the Trafton Design Project. These sheets composed the majority of our presentation. Thank you, Facilities Management. I would also like to thank Chair Zetzman for keeping us on task with our goal. We should all thank Coordinator Andy Braam for diving the main van to and from the Capitol on a windy day with a load of concerned citizen students. He had to fill the gas tank of the van twice because of a previous users neglect. I urge each of you to fill the gas tank after using a state vehicle or be subject to Andy’s wrath. Andy was also very helpful during our discussions with legislators and I look forward to working with him some more soon. Finally I would like to thank Cheri, Coordinators Singh and Vicki, and the student staffers and everyone who came into the office last Wednesday for preparing materials, vehicles, sandwiches, interviews and assisting students to make their voices known in their state government. There were two ladies who surprised others and myself on the trip that morning. They left their house at 4:00 AM to be in Mankato in time to leave with the group. I would like to thank them for coming and their devotion to their university.

The reason for the season is the bonding bill. We went up with four priorities and came back with five things to continue educating ourselves and legislators about.

Rep. Cornish of Good Thunder has worked with Rep. Dorn of Mankato to author a bill in the House for the funding of our Trafton Project. This is good. He supports HEAPR funding. Though he is still reviewing the allocation formula of HESO money. He had received earlier correspondence from former Senator Hill about the Pell Pass Through proposal and was considering this with the HESO funding formula. Pell Pass Through is an issue for students but not one we had expected to speak about. Only four of us attended this meeting as the van was delayed because of road conditions. I think we did fine in representing the university.

We then went back to the Capitol building to wait for the van and see the sites a bit. When the rest of the group showed up we briefly toured the House and Senate Chambers before heading back to the State Office Building to meet Rep Swenson of Nicollet. Rep. Swenson was difficult to gauge. It would be good if some folks from his district would try to meet with him again.

Meeting with Rep. Dorn and Senator Hottinger in Rep;. Dorn’s office went well and we were able to express our concern with our issues, especially the increase in HEAPR, Trafton, and the state grant

Formula. Rep. Dorn seemed interested in work student allocations and shared a story from Ryan Flynn in the 12:30 House Higher Ed. Finance committee hearing.

After eating some lunch and sitting in on the Higher Ed Finance Hearing we met with Senator Julie Rosen of Fairmont. I felt this was our best meeting because we really discussed several points relating the importance of higher education. We spoke about the attractiveness of low tuition for out state students, local jobs created through bonding work, campus diversity, and the need for our Trafton building because of state needs in science fields. Senator Rosen complimented us on our grasp of the economic significance of our university. Most of the students at this meeting chimed in with something. That was my favorite part.

Overall this was a productive experience for the group and myself that I look forward to replicating soon with other students.

Senator Radtke-Can you speak to allegations of pan handling?

Coordinator Hart-Some members brought guitars and a hat, however I did not see them collect anything.

Senator Reports

Allied Health & Nursing-Jessica Cichy-This is application time for Nursing students. 40

people are accepted into the program and 200 apply. I went to the job fair today; I talked to people in my college.

I joined a sorority.

Senator Hart-Do you feel the Trafton issue will help the Nursing program expand?

Senator Cichy-Nursing students are required to take chemistry etc. It is hard to get these classes. It would help the program.

Senator Flynn-What sorority?

Senator Cichy-Tri Sigma

Senator Stump-Why is there a cap on Nursing students?

Senator Cichy-Because of clinicals, and we do not have the staff available or the funding available. A lot of it has to do with the lack of faculty.

Senator Stump-What is the difference in the types of degrees?

Senator Cichy-RN’s can do more of the work. Two year degree is nice but there is more of a need for RNs.

Announcements

Senator Cichy-9 days until the Air O concert

Senator Hart-Habitat is building this weekend, that is cool, Aikido is performing that is cool

Senator Lessard-State Ability Conference-purpose is to take back elections and make it more

publicly funded. March 11-Coffee Hag-7-9 Native American coming from Alaska will be speaking.

Senator Stump-Eliminate Hate Week-

Senator Cichy-Hockey this weekend against North Dakota

Senator Hart-SLD&SL is offering co-curricular transcripts. Go down and give them your information and they will help you out.

Roll Call

Senators Present

Jessica Cichy, Rebecca Schaffer, Nicole Schultz, Stacey Stump, Mohammed Omar, Irfan Bangash, Greg Lessard, Taku Kurashige, Bryan Hart, Faizan Khan, Ryan Flynn, Nathan Entinger, Adam Weigold, Megan Brandt, Ian Radtke, Rachel Mudd, Trevor Fleck

Senators Absent

Abbas Raza, Muhammad Jiwani, Kail Decker

Executive Staff Absent

President Gaffer(excused)

Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 6:32 PM