shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minutes

Page address: https://www.mnsu.edu/mssa/docs/minutes_years/minutes/2003-2004/02-25-2004.html

71st MSSA Senate

February 25, 2004

Meeting called order by Vice President Shahzad Anwer

Roll Call

Senators Present (Present-Absent-Proxy-Excused)

Jessica Cichy 16-0-0, Rebecca Schaffer 3-1-0, Nicole Schultz 5-0-0, Stacey Stump 1-0-0, Irfan Bangash 22-0-1, Greg Lessard 21-2-0, Taku Kurashige 3-0-0, Bryan Hart 21-0-1-1, Faizan M. Khan 22-1-0, Ryan Flynn 4-0-0, Nathan Entinger 16-0-0, Adam Weigold 4-0-0, Kail Decker 16-0-0, Megan Brandt 22-0-1, Ian Radtke 22-1-0, Rachel Mudd 22-1-0, Trevor Fleck-proxy Gordana Copic 3-0-1 Abbas Raza 10-5-1

Senators Absent

Muhammad Jiwani 11-4-0, Mohammed Omar 3-1-0,

Executive Staff Present

President Rhys Gaffer, Vice President Shahzad Anwer

Student Forum

Greg Lessard-You are strong student leaders and strong in the election process. I am here to talk about campaign financing. I am part of a group of people (Minnesota Alliance for Progressive Action) trying to pass language in the MN Senate. I am addressing you on clean money campaign bill, we need to take back our politics. This would help people that could not raise funding, they need to work on issues. John Hottinger is the chief author of this.

President Gaffer-Are you requesting this body pass something in support of this?

Mr. Lessard-Not this week, people need to be educated on fair and clean elections.

Elections: McElroy Hall, Off-Campus (2)

McElroy Hall-Laura Grote-I am a Women’s Studies major, The LGBT community encouraged me to run for this seat. Safety is an issue on campus, also if we were to get rid of the Women’s Center it would also include the Non Trad program.

Senator Khan-What places on campus do you not think are not safe?

Ms.Grote-The dorms, many places are not lighted very well, there are only three cameras on the buildings.

Senator Hart-How much time do you think you could put into senate in a week?

Ms.Grote -About eight hours.

Senator Weigold-In your opinion what is the current state of services supplied by student fees?

Ms. Grote-I don’t know about that.

Senator Flynn-What committees do you want to join?

Ms. Grote, Student Affairs, Elections Committee

Senator Fleck-Proxy Copic-What is the major issue facing MSU students?

Ms. Grote-Assaults on campus, security.

Senator Stump-How much are you involved in Res. Life?

Ms. Grote-I am somewhat involved, I hang out with people on my floor,

Senator Cichy-Do you have any specific plans to work on?

Ms. Grote-Not really

Senator Raza-What do you have planed for your own constituency.

President Gaffer-How involved were you in the Res. Hall budget process last semester?

Ms. Grote-I am not very involved at all.

Ms. Grote-I feel being here today is a good idea, I am a very strong person and am willing to

work on issues, and God bless you all.

Consensus not reached-McElroy Hall senate seat remains open

Off-Campus-Jeff Waldron- Economics major. I have lived off campus for three years. I feel I can reach people off campus. I was on senate my sophomore year and would like to now be on it. I understand the importance of the decision made, it is important to weigh every decision and come into things with an open mind. My hope is with time I can research positions. I am very involved on campus, I am in 18 organizations. I am a very reliable person.

Senator Flynn-What committees are you interested in?

Jeff Waldron-I am not as familiar with some committees, I am interested in SAC and SOAFC.

Senator Hart-How much time can you devote to senate activities?

Mr. Waldron-As much as it takes, I do not have as many credits and my involvements are waning.

I have free time; I have also found that the more involvement I have the more my life is in order.

Senator Bangash-What motivated you to come back to senate?

Mr. Waldron-I lost my seat because I changed my major. I was wet behind the ears at that time,

I feel now that as a senior I am more mature and can devote time.

Senator Stump-Running for off-campus what is the biggest issue facing students?

Mr. Waldron-I don’t know of the issues, students are not informed, and they don’t know what you do.

The best way to access off-campus is through student organizations, mailboxes; you can make them aware by giving them contact information.

President Gaffer-Since it would seem that the student association does not do a stellar job of letting people know what we do, if elected would you make that a priority?

Mr. Waldron-I would give all my efforts and input.

Mr. Waldron-I would give all I have and come with an open mind. I am willing to do that.

Elected: Off-Campus Senator Jeffrey Waldron

Presentation-Jim Gelbman, Senator Dayton’s office

I have spent the entire day on campus. I am the state representative for Senator Mark Dayton. Every six years we reauthorize all the higher ed reauthorization programs, pell grants-pending before congress. Senator Dayton is very concerned. In the past few years the average student received 50% grants 40% loans, now they are receiving 40% grants and 50% loans. This is unfair. We are burdening you with debt. Over the next years there will be rising costs in Medicare and other programs that you will be having to pay for. Senator Dayton sees this generation as an investment in the future. He is going to be very out spoken-no one should be denied an education because of financial concerns.

Senator Weigold-Suspend the rules for open floor discussion. Second Proxy Copic

Senator Lessard-Could you tell me how I can find the Senators’ previous speeches-does his web site

go back as far as the beginning of the war?

Mr. Gelbman-That information would be on the web site.

President Gaffer-Could you speak a little bit about Senator Dayton’s views on raising the independent student age from 21 to 24.

Mr. Gelbman-Last time there was a huge barrier put up as far as students declaring themselves

independent, although some students were trying to get this status when they really were not. We need to back pedal and address abuses of the financial aid program, but students need to be able to apply regardless of parents’ affluence.

Senator Decker-What effects do students lobbying or other groups have?

Mr. Gelbman-When appointments are made and they are from Minnesota he does put time aside to meet with his constituents. He listens but he does not think people should have to come to him, he feels we should come to you. He was on campus a week ago, but opportunity was limited because of time. Minnesota is a big state. It is your decision if you feel you should go to Washington D.C.

Senator Bangash-Can you tell us his views on the immigration rules?

Mr. Gelbman-Post 9-11? Mark supported the Patriotic Act but now feels this has caused civil rights impositions. He will support the repeal of this.

Senator Weigold-Many people in our age group pay money in Social Security-what is Senator Dayton’s interest in investing a portion of this?

Mr. Gelbman-He is opposed to this. Social Security should have been created as a pension type.

It was created as a pay as you go-with understanding that new generation pays. People now pay in with understanding that next generation would pay as they did. If you could come with a $3-4 trillion dollar transition period to turn this into a pension, yes, he does support expanding the current

IRA and 401 K.

Senator Kurashige-What message would Senator Dayton want us to be getting out?

Mr. Gelbman-We need to invest more in students, and grants. Look at earning potential of a college grad compared to someone without a college degree. It should be as easy as possible for you to attain the degree you need to support your lifestyle when you graduate.

Approval of Agenda-Amended with addition of Senator Mudd and Senator Bangash added to senator reports and Academic Affairs Coordinator Jen Jacobs.

Approval of Minutes (2-18-04-Minutes approved without objection

Coordinator Jacobs-Priority Registration Proposal (review). We need to make a recommendation to

Academic Affairs by March 25.

Officer Reports

President Rhys Gaffer

Appointments: Elections Committee-Keenan Stafford, Laura Grote

The Civil Disturbance Task Force has begun randomly surveying the campus. There is also a city survey that will be mailed out to residents in this area. Lynn Akey, Assistant Director for academic initiatives and Dr. Lee Tesdell are leading this project to receive feedback about the incident that took place last October. I have also directed some preliminary research to be done by MSSA’s Intergovernmental Affairs Coordinator, Andy Braam so we can move forward with reinstituting an off-campus tenant’s association.

Next week I will direct the Steering Committee to begin work with the Student Attorney contract for the 2004-2005 academic term. The goal is to be able to have student senate representatives assist with this task and not leave it solely to the MSSA president to deal with during the summer.

VP Olson will be hosting the second in a series of campus conversations about civic engagement. MSU is taking part in the American Democracy Project, a program designed to engage undergrad students enrolled at AASCU member institutions.

The MSUSA Cultural Diversity Conference and Nellie Stone Johnson Dinner are coming up next month. If you are interested in attending, please copy down the information on this flier.

DSO-5-6% percent of students are from Disability Office, it is important that we see that they are funded.

Vice President Shahzad Anwer

Sub Meet & Confer-ISO and Study Abroad Office should be combined. We will be discussing this with Director Gjersvig.

At Sub Meet & Confer the idea of bringing doctoral programs to MSU. Accessibility Resources-the biggest problem is number of students going up, they need help with books etc.

Speaker Zach Biesanz (Shahzad Anwer)

Recognized Student Organizations-Democracy Matters, MSU Mavericks for Life

Senator Mudd-When is the meeting on combining the ISO and the IPO office?

President Gaffer-Is there another date senators can sign up for the email brigade?

Senator Bangash-Do you think senator should get an award?

Vice President Anwer-Yes, we do appreciate their efforts, they work hard and give a lot of time.

Committee Reports

SAC-Jeet Sausen, Chair (Nate Entinger)

SAC R#02.19.04A

SAC recommends funding up to $17,981.00 to the Maverick Forensics Team to attend the American Forensics Association-National Individual Events Tournament (AFA-NIET) to be held at California State University-Long Beach.

Nate Entinger-They request this every year after they know how many people will be attending. The grad students were funded because they are required to have a certain amount of paid judges at the tournament. They also assist the speakers.

Senator Weigold-In the past has the department paid for the grad students? How much of the funding is allocated to grad students?

Nate Entinger-$4,000.00 I believe.

Senator Hart-How does this funding compare to funding in the past seasons?

Nate Entinger-Funding is based on where the tournament is held.

Forensics Dr. Leah White-This is comparable, the grad students drove last year. Next year it is in Kansas and they will be able to drive there as well.

Senator Cichy-How much are they contributing?

Nate Entinger-They do not have to put forth any contributions, it is comparable to sporting teams.

Senator Decker-Have fewer students qualified this year?

Dr. Leah White, Forensics-They are currently higher in numbers.

Senator Decker-I fail to see how it is cheaper to go to Long Beach than Mississippi.

Dr. Leah White -It is more expensive, travel was more expensive.

Senator Flynn-How much will this cost per student?

Nate Entinger-It is about $720.00 per person.

Senator Stump-Only those students that qualify can go or is it the whole team?

Dr. Leah White-Only those students that qualify.

Senator Flynn-Will you be coming back if there are more students qualifying?

Dr. Leah White-No, there will not be more than 45.

Senator Decker-Could they function without grad students attending?

Dr. Leah White-It would be very difficult; you have to have both to make it work. It would be like playing hockey without a hockey puck. Coaching support is important; schools are expected to bring judges. The team and coaches are integrated.

Cynthia Saba-As a competitor, it is very important to have coaches along. They help between events, after events.

Senator Decker-In the past have the grad students been included in the cost?

Brian Klosa-Assistant Director-As a whole the department has grown because grad fees have been waived. The number of grad students has increased also the MFA has brought in more grad students. The grad students have gone in the past.

Nate Entinger-Around $4,000.00 is funded for grad students. What is not used is brought

Back.

Vice President Anwer-Can you tell us the history of qualifying?

Dr. Leah White-We are one of less than ten schools that have attended since the 1970’s. We are very proud of that. In terms of getting there, they have to advance through three different tournaments and also place in the top two rounds. Getting to go is a huge honor.

Senator Decker-Do you anticipate next year?

Brian Klosa-We won the state tournament for the third year in a row against many schools including the University of Minnesota. Also we won the National Oratory Tournament. We are having a phenomenal year.

Senator Mudd-Who qualified for the National Oratory Tournament?

Brian Klosa-Kunwar Singh

Senator Radtke-They are nationally renowned, we are a hand full of school of school that has an MFA.

Senator Cichy-I am nervous about this amount of money.

Proxy Copic-I support this, fees are made for this. This will give an experience for a life. This should not be questioned. This is a high point of this school.

Senator Weigold-I rise in favor of this considering gross amount of money spent on athletics.

Senator Stump-I rise in favor of this as it is an academic event.

Senator Schultz-I am not uncomfortable in the amount of money, as they drove last year

and they will do so again next year.

Senator Flynn-I also rise in support of this.

Motion passes unanimously

SAC R#02.19.04B

SAC recommends funding up to $4,350.00 to Men’s Lacrosse to attend a national tournament in San Diego, CA.

Nate Entinger-They are required to play a certain amount of non-conference games that will allow them to stay in their bracket. They requested $7,000.000. We cut that to $4,350.000. We cut lodging in half. They did a lot of fundraising at the Xcel Energy Center. The players are also putting up funding.

Senator Radtke-How many attendees?

Senator Hart-Any coaches?

Nate-No.

Senator Hart-How much is the total cost of the event?

Nate Entinger-They fall under the campus rec umbrella. They do not have a student cap. The total expenses were about $15,000.

Senator Hart-Why do we fund club sports higher?

Mr. Hodapp-There was a time when RSO’s were not funded at all. When they set up funding it was set at $50.00. Club items are different because they do not have other areas to get funding from.

Proxy Copic-Will it hurt them if they do not go?

Nate Entinger-They will not be able to stay in the bracket they are in.

Proxy Copic-In order to get to a national tournament in St. Louis they would need to go to this one and beat someone else, right?

Nate Entinger-To remain in the conference they are in they have to play a number of non-conference games. It would not hurt them, but their skill level is beyond the b bracket.

Senator Lessard-I have a big problem of sorting this out. Lacrosse is not that big a thing. I am biased against sports; I don’t believe it teaches life lessons. I think we should draw the line on non-academic things.

Senator Decker-I can see a motion like this setting a precedent on why other groups would come and ask for money.

Senator Schultz-I think people are having a problem with two separate issues. We are discussing RSO’s. Many would argue that sports do teach you life lessons.

Senator Stump-I have a hard time funding some organizations at a higher level.

Senator Cichy-This is not an RSO and in the fall we gave Paint Ball funding. We have set precedence.

Senator Weigold-Maybe this is a lost cause and they should pull out and become an RSO.

Proxy Copic-I am confused, from my understanding they need to do well and then qualify, but is this a necessary tournament?

Senator Lessard-I guess you do learn things through Lacrosse vote on this

Senator Weigold/Senator Stump.

Move to amend motion to reduce amount to $1100.00

Senator Radtke – I don’t agree with amending the motion. I support the original motion. There needs to be clarity between what RSOs are and what sports are. Rise in opposition of the amendment

Senator Flynn – They fundraised money. I disagree with the motion. Maybe even table it and get the specifics

Senator Lessard – I disapprove of the motion. I’m not ready to penalize the Lacrosse Team. We should fix it before we leave so future senators can interpret it better.

Senator Schultz – I rise against the amendment. They may not have to play this one, but they will have to play somewhere.

Senator Cichy – They’ve done a substantial amount of fundraising. I rise against the amendment, but support the motion.

Amendment is withdrawn

Senator Weigold/Senator Hart – Move to table SAC recommendation

Motion passes, recommendation tabled

SAC R#02.19.04C

SAC recommends funding up to $150.00 to the Student Nurses’ Association (SNA) annual convention for the National Student Nurses’ Association in Nashville, TN.

Senator Cichy – As a nursing major, I believe this is a good organization so we should support it.

Recommendation passes

SAC R#02.19.04D

SAC does not recommend an increase in the MSUSA 2004-2005 fee. SAC recommends the fee be held at $.39 per credit hour up to twelve credits.

Senator Lessard – I am afraid that this might force our services to go down. Some one please clarify

Senator Hart – MSUSA will not be raising the fee anyway. If someone is unsure, they can be a delegate and make sure services do not go down.

Senator Entinger – I was not aware that the fee would stay the same. President Gaffer came in and threw some paper down saying how MSUSA will increase to .49 per credit hour that is where it came from.

Senator Hart/Senator Cichy – move to table this recommendation from SAC to March 17

Motion to table passes

Committee Reports

Academic Affairs Committee Motion, Senator Schultz/Senator Hart

M#02.25.04A

Whereas: The Academic Affairs Student Senate Committee recommends Student Senate support the change in the graduation degree policy which would mean a student may not earn a B.S. and a B.A. in the same degree program.

Be it Resolved: That Student Senate supports this change in the graduation degree policy

Senator Schaffer – As a nursing major BS and BA nursing makes a big difference. I rise against the motion.

Senator Lessard – Move to friendly amend –should not be an absolute, for those departments with a significant difference, we should acknowledge people that they try to do both.

Senator Schultz – I rise in favor of the amendment. I would like to see more specific definition of what a significant difference is, like 2 years.

Senator Weigold – I like the intent of the amendment but it is too ambiguous

Senator Radtke – I agree with the amendment, but it should be more quantifiable. I was not aware of the differences in the nursing program.

Senator Schaffer – I oppose amendment as standing, because I want clarification

Senator Schultz – I meant to say $3.0 credits not two years. I would not say nursing because if nursing changes its program it will change the basis of the motion.

Senator Stump – I am opposed to both. There should be two distinct tracks and this forces me to go to a different school to get a BS and a BA. They need to redo their curriculum instead of simply limiting them

Senator Lessard – remove friendly amendment. Although it’s Academic Affairs, I did not fulfill my duty. I would like to come next week and give more information.

Motion is withdrawn by Chair Hart

Moved to refer to Academic Affairs – Senator Decker/Senator Hart

Motion passes, to send to Academic Affairs

Elections Committee Motion M#02.25.04A

The Elections Committee recommends that senate support on-line senate elections beginning spring 2004.

Senator Weigold – I would like to see this more specific before we support this

Senator Schultz – I support this to make it easier for the committee.

Proxy Copic – I do not want to wait. Keep them working on it

Senator Weigold – Development is not a waste, that’s not the question. All policy has to be the same. It doesn’t make sense to approve an online voting system before we see anything.

Senator Radtke – It provides the option to pursue it and does not limit it to online. Paper ballots are still possible.

Senator Schultz – I disagree because the Election Committee has to put in time so it would be wasted time for us if we did not do this. The rules would have to change too.

Senator Kahn – I like the idea of online election, but what about the system crashing?

Senator Entinger – I rise in favor because it says we support it, not that that we will do this for sure. Iowa State uses online election and it works great, they even use if for the Res Hall association.

Senator Weigold – It does say support, I rise in favor of this after it was reread.

Senator Mudd – I rise in favor because we can use the technology we have as well as it will increase participation.

Motion Passes

Senator Reports

Off-Campus Senator Rachel Mudd

Last week Student Affairs heard representatives from the Hub and Financial Aid talk about changes taking place with the Mav Card as well as the remodeling in the CSU and how they can better serve customers. I am meeting with Financial Aid tomorrow, if anyone has concerns they would like to voice, please let me know, also if you have concerns with changes in Student Affairs. I enjoyed going on the Lobby trip and learning how the Legislative process works.

changes in Student Affairs. I enjoyed going on the Lobby trip and learning how the

Legislative process works.

SET-Irfan Bangash

I had a meeting with the Director of Res Life, Cindy Janney and we discussed some issues faced by the Chartwells employees, especially the International students. Some of the major issues were the wages issue; minimum wage on-campus is $7.15 per hour but Chartwells pays only $6.50. International student employees think that they are not treated fairly. Cindy Janney will follow-up with this meeting after she has her meeting with Sam Holms, Chartwells location manager.

The International Student Association is organizing the first International Student Olympics between March 20th and April 25, 2004. The games included are: Cricket, soccer, basketball, volleyball, badminton, table tennis, pool, tennis, and track and field. All the sports will be played on different weekends except for tennis and badminton that will be played at nights during the week. The International Festival is April 18, 2004 at the Mankato East High

School.

Senator Schultz – When are the Olympics?

Senator Bangash – March 20 to April 15

Senator Kahn – Could you explain what is significantly different

Senator Bangash – Dispersion of power is the big one

Announcements

Senator Schultz – Thanks to Vice President Anwer

Senator Decker – I think the sports teams and Olympics would be a great PR thing

Senator Cichy – Sigma Sigma Sigma will be hosting a basketball tourney

Senator Hart – My team is not gender biased basketball, I Need 3 more players.

Senator Lessard – Democracy Matters is meeting on March 3 from 12-1 in room CSU 253

Senator Kurashige - Aikido Club did a demonstration during Kill Bill

Roll Call

Senators Present

Jessica Cichy, Rebecca Schaffer, Nicole Schultz, Stacey Stump, Irfan Bangash, Greg Lessard, Taku Kurashige, Bryan Hart, Faizan Khan, Ryan Flynn, Nathan Entinger, Adam Weigold, Megan Brandt, Ian Radtke, Rachel Mudd, Trevor Fleck, Kail Decker, Jeff Waldron Abbas Raza,

Senators Absent

Muhammad Jiwani, Mohammed Omar

Executive Staff Absent

President Gaffer(excused)

Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 7:14 PM