shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minutes

Page address: https://www.mnsu.edu/mssa/docs/minutes_years/minutes/2003-2004/04-07-2004.html

71st MSSA Senate

April 7, 2004

Meeting called order by Senator Ian Radtke (acting speaker)

Roll Call

Senators Present (Present-Absent-Proxy-Excused)

Jessica Cichy 20-1-0, Nicole Schultz 10-0-0, Irfan Bangash 26-0-2, David Bottin 4-0-0, Greg Lessard 26-2-0, Taku Kurashige 8-0-0, Bryan Hart 25-0-2-1, Jani Grantz 4-0-0, Nathan Entinger 21-0-0, Adam Weigold 9-0-0, Kail Decker 21-0-0, Megan Brandt 27-0-1, Rachel Mudd 27-1-0, Trevor Fleck 8-0-1, Monica Brooks 4-0-0, Stacey Stump 5-1-0, Faizan M. Khan 26-2-0, Ryan Flynn 8-1-0, Muhammad Jiwani 13-7-0, Mohammed Omar 7-2-0, Jeff Waldron 2-1-0,

Senators Absent

Elizabeth Lange 3-1-0, Abbas Raza 14-6-1, Ian Radtke 25-2-0,

Executive Staff Present

President Rhys Gaffer

Student Forum

Sara Nett

We must weigh all the alternatives on this decision regarding ROTC. It is never right to discriminate,

But we should not rush into anything with out looking into ways of finding alternatives for this program.

They do serve a certain population of students.

President Gaffer-You are not in the short term in favor of removing them from campus? Where should we begin discussion?

Sarah-We need to find out what can we do to replace them, before discussions with President Davenport.

Senator Bottin-Are you in support of this program and what about other programs on campus that discriminate?

Sarah-The University should not support any organization that is discriminatory.

Jared Daggit-ROTC, 2nd year student. Thank you Sara. Not only was the policy implemented in the army; but

it was approved by the US Congress. Military officers and military in general, become apolitical when they

put on a uniform. There are hundreds of ROTC programs across the nation, they are an integral part of the military. Not only does ROTC bring officers in to the military, it also provides training, service to community, graduation.

Senator Stump-Just for personal knowledge how do students receive scholarships?

Jared-Not everyone is on scholarship. People that are on scholarship are required to attend all training, people not

on scholarship can choose.

Senator Lessard-What would you think if the university created an alternative program?

Jared-I don’t think there could be an alternative program.

Senator Hart-Could the ROTC be facilitated by the National Guard?

Jared-I don’t think so.

Senator Stump-Is this the only way you can get a military career?

Jared-No, but it is the way for college students to go into the military. You could go in after college but if you enlist there is not training that you will allow you to become an officer right away.

Senator Hart-Do people in the army vote? If so how are they apolitical if they influence vote?

Jared-We can vote, but not lobby or protest.

Senator Kurashige-What is your impression of discrimination in ROTC?

Jared-I have never seen discrimination, we do not require and we are not allowed to ask if someone is homosexual.

Senator Kurashige-What do you think is the image of ROTC?

Jared-That is something I have always seen, the main problem is misunderstanding on what ROTC does.

There is a lack of knowledge between campus community and ourselves.

Senator Lessard-Is is possible that more than the college

Senator Mudd-Can you speak to the rational on why homosexuals are discriminated against?

Jared-There could be problems, there are arguments from the military.

Senator Cichy-Do you see students leaving the university if this were not offered?

Jared-Yes, there are students that come here to be in ROTC. There would be problems.

Senator Bottin-What role does the ROTC have in making its rules against homosexuals?

Jared-None what so ever.

Jeff Cagle-Men’s Swimming and Diving

It has been announced that swimming and diving is on the brinks of getting cut. This affects the women’s Swimming and Diving as well. We are one team, we have worked hard to bring the program up to par. We feel that this will undermine the entire athletic program. This will drastically affect them negatively. Many women will not swim if this happens and cause future cuts. Please put pressure on President Davenport, this has a negative consequence.

Senator Cichy-Was there an offer from an alumni to donate $100,000?

Jeff-Yes, there was. It would have to go to both programs. Director Buisman said it would take over $50,000

Senator Flynn-How many men will be cut?

Jeff-Eleven

Senator Weigold-Do you want us to punish athletics monetarily?

Jeff-No, but we want the attention that this will not benefit athletics as a whole.

Senator Bottin-Would it be better if other sports were reduced in numbers?

Jeff-I would be delighted if that happened, I saw a cap of 278, I thought that was great?

Senator Cichy-Have you done alternative fundraising?

Jeff-We do the golf a thon, sometimes successful sometimes not.

Senator Lessard-Do you feel that the decisions were made from gender equality or money?

Jeff-I think it is more financial, gender equity is popular to blame. The fact is only $31,000 is invested in swimming. Any money raised would help, money speaks more than numbers.

Senator Bottin-Do you feel pressure is put on the administration to not cut some sports?

Jeff-Somewhat, football-they are only getting capped to 80, Hockey can’t be touched.

Senator Lessard-As a student athlete what was your thought on priority registration?

Jeff-I did not like priority registration, there are people that deserve this more. I will probably get in trouble

with the SAAC for saying that.

President Gaffer-Can you speak to the importance of coed swimming.

Jeff-Swimming is coed, all across the United States, there are more women swimmers than men. It is important to realize that all swimmers think of them selves as one team. We work hard together. The women help the men and we help them emotionally.

Goga Copic-Speaking as a student-tell your classes that elections are happening, write on the white board the on-line address. Get the word out, tell everyone you know to vote.

Michelle Campbell-Swimming-Comment on President Gaffer’s comment- if men’s swimming is cut, it will affect us. We are one swim team. We practice together, we live together. If this program is cut it will decrease women coming here. When I was looking at colleges, I was really no interested in schools that only had women’s team, I have always swam with boys, not doing that would be a hard transition. They men are the mold, they hold us together, and they push us. Without them I don’t know what will happen.

Senator Lessard-Can you speak to ideas of a possible cost savings?

Michelle-$60,000. We take the same bus. There are other things, we have the same coach, officials, and referee. They will not save much money-$2,000 in scholarship for men, they come because they like it. Four men were scheduled to visit last week, five have already committed, they have said they will wait to see what will happen to the program.

President Gaffer-So what you are saying is that you are giving up opportunities because of the strength of the program now.

Michelle-We are willing to do more fundraising and get help from our alums. One alumnus offered $100,000. We

will do what we have to keep the program going. We will do this together, as a team. Regardless of what the

women raise it will go to the men.

President Gaffer-With the level of commitment to keep it going-there is still the issue of gender equity. We would have to have more dollars in another sport to keep the men.

Michelle-Dean Trauger – why is St. Cloud not having these problems, they have Nordic skiing. Dance a collegiate

sport.

Senator Cichy-How many women will leave the team?

Michelle-About half to three fourths of the team?

Senator Stump-Have you written letters to Dr. Davenport.

Michelle-We have met with Director Buisman, Dean Trauger, and we have written letters.

Senator Flynn-What was Buisman reaction?

Michelle-I can’t talk about the meeting with Buisman.

Dave-He seemed interested in our thoughts and where it should go, he offered options, one club status, utilized coach, and practice. We could not travel or compete. He also offered to keep us a sport but take away our funding.

We could still be a NCAA sport but not receive funding for hotel and food.

Senator Flynn-Have you contacted Dr. Davenport?

Dave, we met with him last spring and told him everything. At that point he seemed to not know the aspects.

If you figure cutting the men’s swim team-11, they will only be 11 closer and then if 7 women quit only 4 is

Insignificant. It comes down to money. 4 spots out of 100 is not many. If someone said they would give money,

They would keep them.

Senator Stump-From understanding the cutting of sports, if still you can stay on as a team but have no funding, how does that affect gender equity.

Dave-It does not-we would pay for part of the bus, travel etc. Gender equity is not the issue.

Senator Bottin-You mentioned earlier-what role would you be in representing MSU if you lost

Dave-We would be a club sport, we would not be able to travel and compete in NCAA sanctioned events.

We could go to a couple invites, but we would be club status.

Senator Bottin-As a club you do not represent MSU?

Dave-We would be like the Lacrosse team.

Senator Stump-How much do you win compared to football?

Dave Miller-Football never wins, we have been very competitive. We are on the upswing, the last coach did not recruit men. You go to a program where you can compete. Scholarships is not what makes a team competitive.

Dave Miller-Captain of swim team. The men’s team does not consider us two teams. We have swimming and diving. We have done research on quotes-competitive, gender equity. Competitive-many teams have been cut because of gender equity. Those schools have then dropped off. In the top 16 of women teams in the nation, they all did have men’s teams. A men’s team helps us. This would hurt the women’s team and then hurt gender equity.

Theresa Hubbard-I have become really involved in looking into this, we did not realize that tennis and swimming were the only two sports being cut. Buisman suggested we come to you, we want to see where the program is going before we fundraise. Buisman said he would work with us if you would provide a new girls team. He would call OCR and tell them we are keeping the programs. Everything we have heard from Dean Trauger is that we need to just work to make the women’s team more competitive, Dr. Davenport would not talk to us. Trauger said to forget about the guys and work to making the women’s’ stronger. We are working at becoming better. I see us ranking nationally if we can recruit.

President Gaffer-so you would look forward to fundraising to keep program?

Michelle-Yes, but time is short. Buisman told us to come here and ask for your support.

Senator Stump-As a women athlete-have you talked to other women’s sports?

Michelle-I don’t feel that other teams should suffer. You can cap men’s teams, football and baseball can

cut their numbers.

Senator Bottin-Have you though about the fund raising?

Senator Lessard-We have a moment here to do something about this. What are you looking at, are you looking

at this as a female sport?

Michelle-We may not have all strong sports teams-I don’t want to see any sport cut, butt the administration did not enforce the cap-the first year we were even, now there are no complaints they are trying to correct it before hand

President Gaffer-So we should offer many programs as apposed to having competitive programs?

Michelle-Out side of football our teams are competitive, now it is the coaches and athletes jobs. The money

is another issue-all teams need to fund raise more and think out side of their sport. We are competitive

in everything but football. The complaints-Winona has 105 men on the football roster, but we have

guys on the team that are getting scholarships and not playing. Swimming has greatly improved with a new coach and we are competitive.

Acting Speaker Radtke-I never believe in limiting questions, however, I must remind the Senate that we do

have presentors in the gallery that do need to be heard as well.

David Johnson-ROTC-This is the government, they say one thing and do another. ROTC instills leadership

here and all over. I am going through the sessions now-they look at leadership, you extra activities, what you do

for the community. We volunteer as a program for the boy scouts, high school programs and other community events. There really is no scholarship until your jr. year.-anything under 2.5 GPA is not good enough, we need a 3.00. Depending on the branch of the Army-it is very competitive, you have to have top grades. It is a good program. It teaches you about yourself, if you take it away-you would lose a lot of community service as well. The Army does promote leadership and scholars and community service.

Senator Mudd-You mentioned studies on homosexuality about causing friction, what about studies in racism?

David Johnson-We have many different ethnic backgrounds. We have a lot of sensitivity training. We try to

not offend other people.

Jay McDonald-I am a freshman. There are rumors floating around that someone on senate is using this for personal

purposes as they go on to law school. Are there available options-no? ROTC produces 75 % of the greatest

officers, because we get army training and college at the same time. You have to get through college and then go

to officer candidate school. If you cut money you will cut a lot of federal funding the university receives. Our Jr/Sr year we get scholarships, if this is cut many of us will all be leaving.

Ali Mohammud-I could have joined the army that and would have taken me 20 years to be an officer, this will allow me to be an officer in four years. I am going into Law Enforcement, ROTC helps me in that as well. Basically ROTC helps in many areas. When I applied for an internship they looked at that. Regarding racial-I am a Muslim,

the Army does not look at that only that you are a citizen. I have friends overseas that are in all

branches of the army. The army does not tolerate any discrimination on religious background.

President Gaffer-Could you go to college if you were not in ROTC?

Ali Mohammud -I came here to be a cop and do what I can to get that degree.

Senator Lessard-Have you been taught historically that many races were not admitted into the army?

Ali Mohammud -There were certain things you had to be to be in the Army 50 years ago. If you were going to war in a Muslim

country, you could not do that. That has changed.

Senator Stump-In ROTC-are you in the Army?

Ali Mohammud -No-I am not contracted, you do not have to commit, just show up and go to classes and lead classes. The

last two years you sign up for the program.

Senator Omar-You pointed out good points about the program-how do you personally respond? While it is a good

program, yet there are people concerned about discrimination.

Ali Mohammud -If you get into the program, as far as racial I have not had any problems or heard of any.

Senator Mudd-I think the issue before the senate is the university nondiscrimination policy-it is in conflict with the

Army discrimination policy, could they be located off campus?

Ali Mohammud -I don’t know, most of us go because it is right there.

Senator Stump-You are Muslim, what would people say if you were homosexual or losing your eye sight?

Ali Mohammud -I don’t have to tell the Army I am Muslim, as far as the homosexuality issue, the army does not tolerate

asking if someone is gay, if so the army would take action.

Senator Lessard-The first two years are not committed-do you have to be under their rules?

Ali Mohammud -It is like Football-if someone has as broken leg, you would not be able to play. We have requirements but for the first two years they are looking at you to see if you are fit to go on to officer training.

Senator Hart-Would you be in ROTC if you had to hide some part of your life?

Ali Mohammud -yes

Senator Stump-How does disability fit into the discrimination policy?

Mustasa-What goes on in the Army-you can not hide being Somali, Muslim, it is the same for a

homosexual also. You have to learn who you are-I was humiliated and filled discrimination

the officer apologized. I was always on the defensive. How can you hide being homosexual

in the Army-you can’t.

Senator Omar-Are you still with the Army?

No-they had me leave.

Senator Omar-Are you in support of the ROTC program?

Mustasa -I am not.

Senator Bottin-Comparing religion in Army-if you were in law enforcement would you

stop a pursuit to pray?

Mustasa -No, Prayer is several times a day, I was trying to be flexible but in the army there is

always something going on.

Senator Weigold-You are the reason we are considering a motion. Would federal funding be

a reason for us to ignore mandated federal rights?

Mustasa -No

Senator Bottin-Is if fair to kick off athletics or not help with their sports? You are making a decision on not being in Army-why would you not support an athlete with a disability?

Mustasa -People should just know what they are getting into.

Senator Kurashige-Are these cultural issues and are they institutional as well?

Mustasa -Both, it comes from the top down. When I complained they tried to side track me. My issues

had no merit. I had to not say who I was, it is also institutional.

Presentations: Linda Duckett-Equal Opportunity & Title IX Officer, Lori Lamb-Human Resources Director

We work with all units on campus to recruit and train all groups on campus. We are concerned

individually and collectively.

There are 50 % military and 50% civilian in the nation. Military has adapted and moved toward change in gender

equity. The army is the most diverse in the country. In regard to 400-500 level classes, those

classes are open to anyone.

Lori Lamb-It has been interesting to hear the open forum. Obviously you are deciding on the

motion-we are here as resources, we have to stay non-partisan as it is very complex. Should

you decide you would like action, we can look at helping you with the process. We can not

answer if it is a program that should stay or go. We can be a resource.

Senator Lessard-Speaking as an Equal Opportunity & Title IX Officer-is the ROTC in violation of our

policy, and is it appropriate to take action on that?

Lori Lamb-We don’t know that. What the army has done with there homosexual policy is make

a case that the government has bought in to that you need a certain criteria like man vs. women

or unbroken leg to run. You have to be bona fide in an occupation, Congress has bought that.

To say it is violation it is not easy to conclude that. It is not only Minnesota State policy but also

State and Federal law. You have to keep in mind with respect to disability, even here people

are disqualified from working . In order to be a soldier you must have xyz. It is difficult

to address head on. It is not that simple.

Senator Lessard-Were you aware that at one time being white was a qualifier?

Lori Lamb-The military has changed criteria many times, civil rights in 1964 changed that

It is not a qualifier for employment.

President Gaffer-You touched on the basic nature of qualifiers for employment. Is it fair

to characterize this dichotomy of qualifiers? Sex, orientation or disability?

Lori Lamb-I understand dichotomy but it exists, even race can be a bona fide qualifier.

That is the reality. I don’t have the answer. I find some things personally discouraging

Senator Flynn-Would you suggest we wait on the issue until the Equal Opportunity & Title IX Office can look

at this in more detail so everything is looked at.

Lorie Lamb-I always advocate for getting all the details. You can ask the administration if they see this as a conflict in policy. We can get you information before you make a decision. My recommendation is that you get all the facts on the table before you make a decision.

Senator Stump-You brought up university job descriptions that would disqualify someone. Is it also true of the ROTC policy that it’s discrimination policy goes against university policy?.

Lori Lamb-If the army has said it is a bona fide qualification, it is like our policies, it is not discriminatory to say a GMW has to be able to lift a certain amount of weight-that is not discrimination. If they have disabling conditions that is not discrimination. If army policy conflicts with University-is ROTC responsible for policy? That is what needs to be looked at?

Senator Mudd-What is the rational that a homosexual cannot perform military duties?

Lori Lamb-It details why they think that it is important that someone is a practicing homosexual. They look at fragile conditions and not wanting to jeopardize.

Linda-Also academically-it is not necessarily true that you could all be voice majors. There is this window of opportunity for these students. We all want to diversify, we need to work with the members of the community to address equity issues, they are tough issues.

Senator Mudd-Is this jeopardizing the wellbeing?

Lori Lamb-I am saying this is in the actual policy.

Senator Mudd-Could this argument be made for women working with men?

Lori Lamb-Gender issue has been on-going, a few years ago you would not see women soldiers carrying weapons. We do see women fighting along side men. The army has changed on that.

Senator Bottin-Do you know of any recorded instances on ROTC discriminating?

Linda Duckett-All complaints are confidential, we give our complaints at the end of the month to Minnesota State-if you were Chancellor of Minnesota State and saw an overwhelming amount of complaints on the same issue, you would respond to that.

Senator Omar-How has this gone in other institutions?

Linda-There were a number of schools in the 60’s looking at this. In our state St. Cloud has ROTC, U of M as well.

Senator Mudd-Do you think this is a positive step in changing policy such as women in the army?

Lori Lamb-That is hard, that is why we work in academic institutions because we have dialog and can try to make changes. This debate is good, open dialogue can bring change but be careful, you are talking about Congress, change would be difficult. I am not trying to discourage you.

Lori Lamb-Again you are asking me to say this is what has happened here. I think the debate is very helpful, but more discussion should come out of this and would have to be before we could have change.

Linda Duckett-ROTC has a very clear directive on behalf of people This is a tough issue.

Senator Kurashige-The whole issue, if you say Minnesota State would look at complaints, as MSSA members how

can we take action

Lori Lamb-I was not sure if he was talking about Army or ROTC, things need to be brought to the Equal Opportunity & Title IX Office, then we can help with discriminatory or harassing issues. People need to come forth with issues. On a daily basis we need to tell people to knock it off if they are making racist remarks. As an association you should make a stand on all discrimination, some formal and some less formal. It is not ok should be said.

Linda Duckett-Send you concerns forward in something that says you are speaking and having dialogue with these

issues. The dialogue comes from student senate and then this can continue on the administration level. We would check with other institutions.

Senator Omar-How would the office of AA help resolve this issue?

Lori Lamb-We can continue conversation imitated on the Minnesota State level. We have already put this

on the table. We can do research. This is a big chunk of research. It would be a strong thesis, there

are good opportunities here.

Lori Lamb-It is important that AA gather more information.

Linda Duckett-Correlation does make a lot of sense, the choice you make can put someone in a bad situation, that

is what is driving this.

Approval of Agenda Addition of Senator Stump to Senator reports.

Approval of Minutes (3-31-04) Minutes stand approved

Officer Reports

President Rhys Gaffer

Appointments: Executive Director search MSUSA, Rhys Gaffer

Food for thought for this body, we are looking at a15% tuition increase. We did have some potential to not go up. There could be some funds put toward faculty/student ratio-there is over $3 million in savings, so we would not

have to see 15% increase. We could look at M&E side, we have already been asked for an LGBT Director,

that could come from M&E. M&E dollars could fund Sexual Assault Coordinator in Women’s Center. We

broke protocol in hiring a Strength Coach-for up to four years. We need to look at what is being funded.

Let’s develop a list and rank it and give it to the administration during budget.

Athletics: There is a copy of the “Future of MSU Athletics” in the office. This report was done by university and community, this charge was from former President Rush. I have asked Vice President Trauger to look at what this body could do to request a three year moratorium, we need to support the student athletes and say this is enough cuts. Hockey ticket breakdown-816 packages were sold, Freshman 290, Sophomores-173, Juniors-209, Seniors 133. The total amount raised would have been $42,000. That was put into men’s Hockey budget.

I have begun a draft to the university on the Sexual Advocacy Coordinator. It is needed on this campus. We are

getting complainants on the campus regarding security, it is a high priority.

MSUSA side-we received a packet of information, I have a copy of the alcohol policy passed. I also

have a copy of the information posted on the web site. I have proposed language to student fee collection. I spoke to the student attorney about this. There is a copy of the St. Cloud Executive Board recommendation10/15/03 regarding MSUSA in the office.

The MSSA Student Attorney Contract-has been extended by one month, if you think that is a priority we need to have conversations on what we should do next year.

Senator Hart-How was this extended?

President Gaffer-It was extended after discussion with the administration and it was done by executive order.

Senator Schultz-Help me understand rationale on building passes.

President Gaffer-With things going on in the office and historically with the way the office was used,I felt it was important for the election committee to get its’ work done. This is also based on previous experience.

Senator Mudd-Who is chair of steering committee

Senator Weigold-Don’t you think if the Election Committee wanted this they would have requested it?

President Gaffer- Not necessarily, and with all the activity going on it posed challenges and based on previous experience and an awareness of importance of campaign free area, I felt we should preserve that area. We did make an exception for Legislative Affairs Committee.

Senator Schultz-Was the Election Committee notified?

President Gaffer-We emailed chair, with time line it was necessary to move forward.

Senator Bottin-With issuing of building passes, is this just for the people that receive the passes and their friends?

President Gaffer-With Student Union policy unless posted hours the person with the pass is responsible

Speaker Zach Biesanz (Ian Radtke)

Coordinator Reports

Technology-Adam Weigold

LTR has decided to support Desire to Learn, it is an easier program.

Joint sub committee has been meeting, we now know what the dollars are spent on. I do not see any increase in the tech fee. I have not seen infighting.

The Senate Website-profiles are on there. Even though it is close to elections, people may want to know who you are. I have gotten complaints about other peoples profile. The committee page is where members are listed. I have been contacted by my profile

Senator Lessard-Does someone have authority to change the profile?

Coordinator Weigold-We can make sure it is accurate, but not change it. I could delete the entire account.

Senator Bottin-As Coordinator of Technology-have there been training sessions offered?

Coordinator Weigold-We have informed the senators of the profiles and I am usually around the office.

Committee Reports

Bookstore Advisory-Trevor Fleck

Bookstore Advisory Committee Recommendation-Student Senate Initiative

Committee M#04.06.04A

Whereas, both locally and on a national scale there are far too many examples of where price increases for new textbooks have jumped 21% in 19 months or 34% in 36 months; and

Whereas, textbook publishers are motivated to do what they can to persuade faculty of the merits of any new text or edition; and

Whereas, the Student Senate has consistently supported, where the academic discipline accommodates such action, the availability of less costly used textbooks as the primary resource text for certain General Education and/or one hundred level courses; and

Whereas, for the second time in two years tuition is scheduled to increase by 15% resulting in a further squeeze of student pocketbooks;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Student Senate respectfully request that the University create a special ad hoc “Textbook Price Containment Work Group” which is charged with:

Examining textbook pricing trends for both new textbooks, new editions of textbooks now in use, and used textbooks.

Studying what impact there is on teaching faculty and students alike when a change in a textbook is contemplated at the department level, particularly for General Education and 100 level courses (e.g., required changes in faculty lecture notes, a higher new textbook price for students, etc.)

Surveying both teaching faculty and students as to their perceptions of bundled or packaged textbooks and the value and use of related CDs, workbooks, study guides, along with the viability of cash returns on used textbooks and materials, etc.

Contacting other campuses to see what they have done to address rising textbook costs.

Developing recommendations on textbook cost containment that would include viable options for students and not intrude on the need of teaching faculty to provide current information to their students.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the “Textbook Price Containment Work Group” be a composed of students, teaching faculty, and administrators committed to the thoughtful and expedient examination of the issues cited herein. Though not required, it is recommended that the Academic Affairs Vice President’s Office provide coordination to ensure that the group is empanelled yet this spring and that it be supplied with whatever information can reasonably be obtained as the panel drafts its recommendations. The work group would include these constituencies:

At least three students appointed by the Student Association President and confirmed by the Student Senate.

One faculty member, selected in the customary manner, from each of these colleges and schools: College of Allied Health and Nursing, College of Arts and Humanities, College of Business, College of Education, College of Science, Engineering, and Technology, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Library Services, the School of Nursing, and the College of Graduate Studies and Research.

Such ex-officio, non-voting members as may be needed including the Barnes and Noble Bookstore Manager, Maverick Bookstore Manager, and the Facilities Services Bookstore Contract Liaison.

Senator Lessard-When is our Barnes & Noble contract up?

Senator Flynn-Barnes and Noble and the Maverick Bookstore proposed getting this surfaced.

They want to help us. They are looking out for the students.

Senator Lessard-Barnes and Noble has plastered advertising all over campus to promote private interest, has that been addressed?

Senator Fleck-Because of the 10% they give back it is kind of a give and take.

Senator Stump-Have they ever discussed rental?

Senator Flynn-Certain programs need to keep their books. Some faculty members are really against this,they want students to keep their books for further classes.

Senator Stump-I went to a university that did that and at the end you could purchase the book.

Senator Lessard-Have other groups looked at private companies utilizing our campus? Fundamental

change is what I am looking at. Alternatives besides book rental, like a non-profit bookstore?

They have no interest but getting money. This is an economic venture.

Senator Flynn-I agree with this motion, the issue is the publishers and not the instructors. The publishers

are changing the books, the average book is about two years. If it lasted about five years it would be cheaper.

Senator Cichy-Sometimes textbooks need to change to keep up.

Senator Lessard-We need to alter something we can take care of.

Motion passes

M#04.07.04 Proposal to change Minnesota Statute 136F.22

C. Rhys Gaffer, Minnesota State Student Association President with additional changes by MSSA Student Attorney

M 04.07.04 Senator Decker/Weigold 136F.22 Student Associations

Subdivision 1. Statewide.

The board shall recognize statewide student associations for the state universities and community and technical colleges. Each campus student association shall be affiliated with a statewide student association and all students enrolled on those campuses shall be members of their respective statewide association.

Subdivision 2. Fees.

Each statewide association shall set its fees to be collected by the board and shall submit any changes in its fees to the board for review. The board ma revise or credited to each association’s account to be spent as determined by that association.

Subdivision 3. Consolidation.

Changes may be made to student associations located on community college, state university, technical college or consolidated co-located campuses with the approval of the students of each affected campus.

Subdivision 4. Recognition.

The board shall recognize any organization comprised of two or more campus student associations that choose to organize for the purposes of advocating their students’ interests. Recognition of such an organization shall be effective upon a vote of two or more campus student associations authorizing affiliation, pending approval of the students of the affected campuses. Pending approval of a new affiliation, all fees collected pursuant to the subdivision shall be escrowed.

Senator Weigold/Senator Decker-This is basic.

Motion passes

Senator Schultz/Senator Weigold

M#04.07.04 Building Passes

Whereas: Our officers and coordinators were given building passes to access the MSSA Office past hours to work and serve students.

Whereas: Officers and coordinators’ building passes have been taken away on the unprecedented basis of election campaigning without consultation with the Elections Committee

Be it Resolved: MSSA disapproves of the action taken by the President to take away building passes.

Senator Schultz-The people that had the passes taken away were elected or appointed and they

should not be denied access. This is an election free zone but the election committee was not

notified.

Senator Lessard-There is a campaign time and the office should be campaign free.

Senator Bottin-As changes are being made all the time, if individuals have a problem with change that is one thing, but coordinators are up for election and should be treated the same as everyone else.

Senator Weigold-These are people that are being paid to work. Other issues should be done on a case by case issue.

Senator Decker-It was not right to micromanage and supercede qualified people. This is for the

committee to decide.

Senator Bottin-You do not go to a dentist when the office is closed. Why do you need to go after hours?

Senator Schultz-I do not have a building pass and never did. I don’t understand, coordinators should

have access after hours. I don’t think this should prevent someone from doing their job.

Senator Cichy-The President was shady in this.

Senator Stump-I don’t see the conflict of Coordinators being in there after hours to get work done.

Senator Hart-Is there documentation of abuse in previous elections?

Motion passes

Senator Reports

Maverick Hall-Trevor Fleck

In discussing issues with residents we discussed power outages, a power outage that was supposed to last until noon, lasted until two. There is a sore issue with the free laundry usage put into the room and board prices. Many people, especially guys don’t think they will get their money’s worth. Weekends are a problem for the general maintenance workers. They get tired of the mess and won’t clean up. Newspaper programs, they have decided to keep that. Main Complaint-MSU should be a wet campus.

Senator Stump-Would it be helpful to men if they had help with the laundry?

Senator Hart-Can you access the newspapers with anything besides a card?

Senator Fleck-You need to use your Mav card.

Senator Stump-How is that going to be regulated, how will off-campus people be prevented from coming in and doing laundry.

Senator Fleck-I really don’t know.

Senator Bottin-On the health issues on weekends, has this been brought to the attention of the administration?

Senator Fleck-I don’t know, but it is getting out of hand.

Senator Cichy-What is the strangest thing you have seen?

Enactor Fleck-4:00 in the morning all the fire extinguishers went off, there was a massive fight with blood all over the halls.

Graduate Studies-Stacey Stump

SLD&SL coordinates off-campus housing we are looking at implementing a tenant association.

Senator Lessard-What activities could they do for students?

Senator Stump-We are looking at how other universities house this. This would allow students a voice in the pricing of apartments. We are only researching this, we have approached the director about this.

Senator Lessard-Do you think you will have enough research done to present this soon?

Senator Stump-I will be working on this over the summer and hope to have a lot put together.

Motion-Senator Weigold/Decker

M#04.07.04 MSUSA

Whereas: Some concessions and compromises have been made at the Board of Directors at MSUSA

Whereas: Much more needs to be done in changes to MSUSA’s structure in this direction

Be it Resolved: MSSA is excited about the recent MSUSA concessions and look forward to seeing more.

They have made concessions, this is a step in the right directions. This is a way to say we will continue to work with you.

Senator Decker-I understand this is what they want us to do.

Senator Bottin-Did the senator not make a motion of no confidence lack week?

Speaker Radtke-Information has come out that is in direct conflict.

Senator Hart-This sounds like we are rubbing it in their face. It sounds like give me more.

Speaker Radtke-The letter addresses the compromise made.

Senator Weigold-It is not the intent of the motion to rub it in their face, they are expecting us to go

out, this is the last thing they would think we would do.

Senator Stump-Is this an attempt to make us look better?

Senator Weigold-No, it says we are looking forward to working with them.

Senator Cichy-That was a speedy response from MSUSA.

Motion passes

Announcements

Senator Omar-Thursday 5-7 lecture in auditorium, contribution of Muslims, Friday 2-3 Islam

Senator Schultz-I have an interview for a full time fixed teaching position.

Senator Kurashige-College of Social &Behavioral Science Advisory Board Excellence in Teaching Award. Send your nomination letter to AH111, the deadline is April 12.

Senator Cichy-Sexual Assault Awareness Seminar tomorrow night.

Senator Entinger-Derby Days, games in the mall, Friday-bowling fundraising. Sat. morning 4/17

5k fun run and pancake breakfast.

Senator Lessard-Getting students to vote for MSSA-recognize Campus Invasion, on the 19th

Granny D will be on campus promoting campaign reform. She will be talking about the way candidates run their campaigns. She will be out by the fountain at 4:00 and will be walking to the governmental center.

Senator Schultz-Candidates will be on campus for the Dean of University Extended Education Search. Tuesday, April 13 Election Day and Undergrad Research Conference.

Senator Mudd-I would host an end of the year senate party at my house if you would want to drive to Waseca.

Senator Hart-April 17, Wildlife Conservation Club, river clean up. Tuesday-Senator Norm Coleman

will be on campus to discuss Higher Ed Reauthorization.

Speaker-Ian Radtke MSSA Teacher of the Year Award, Student Friendly Award-write a support letter

Vote on line at WWW.mnsu.edu/voting

Roll Call

Senators Present

Jessica A. Cichy, Muhammad Jiwani, Nicole Schultz, Stacey Stump, Mohammed Omar, Irfan Bangash, David Bottin, Greg Lessard, Taku Kurashige, Bryan Hart, Faizan M. Khan, Jani Grantz, Nathan Entinger, Adam Weigold, Kail Decker, Megan Brandt, Ian Radtke, Rachel M. Mudd, Monica Brooks, Trevor Fleck

Senators Absent

Elisabeth Lange, Abbas Raza, Muhammad Jiwani, Ryan Flynn, Jeff Waldron

Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 7:01 P.M.