shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minutes

Page address: https://www.mnsu.edu/mssa/docs/minutes_years/minutes/2003-2004/04-23-2003.html

70th MSSA Senate

April 23, 2003

Final 70th MSSA Senate

Meeting called order by Speaker Zach Biesanz

Roll Call
Senators Present

Mary Scheider 22-0-0, Joseph Finn 19-0-1, Rich Stangl 10-0-1, Katie Hjulberg 20-1-1, Jeremy Casper 9-0-0, Rajendra Penugonda 27-0-0, Jessica Boyd 27-0-0, Katie Garrity- 26-0-1, Andy Braam 12-0-0, Alex Boyce 27-0-0,C. Rhys Gaffer 25-0-0, Kail Decker 14-0-0, Anand Agarwal 22-3-1, Gordana Copic 23-2-2, Irfan Bangash 27-0-0, Jeff VanDer Pol 8-0-0, Thomas Handwerk 15-0-2, Rebecca Pollack 20-0-0, Ian Radtke 27-0-0, Megan Brandt 22-1-0, Jayson Read 22-1-0, Faraz Kahn 10-2-0, Celeste Hollerud 24-2-1

Executive Staff Present

President Joe Muggli, Vice President Ali Raza

Student Forum

Rich Stangl-As a concerned student I do not think all the population is being represented.

I don’t think being confrontational is the best way for government to go. I don’t see this administration going in the right way. It is important to look at the agenda and keep on going.

Approval of Agenda Approved

Approval of Minutes (4-02-03) ( 4-09-03) (4-16-03) (4-16-03 tabled)

Officer Reports

Speaker Zach Biesanz

Academic and Student Affairs search still going on, you can be involved,

schedules are in the office.

Katie Garrity, Senator of the Year Award

Announcements

Senator Copic-Did you know the whole year I was not called out of order?

Senator Garrity-If you are interested in In-Line skating, join us Saturday

at the Sakatah Trail. Lots of food and prizes.

Senator Braam-I am going to miss all of you guys.

Senator Finn-I will miss you too, SAGE Prom

Senator Hjulberg-Look me up in the cities this summer

Senator Stangl-Thank you for the experience, I am taking away more than I gave.

Senator Agarwal-International Festival Sunday, come.

Senator Khan-Come to the International festival Sunday, performances will be funny

Senator Handwerk-Thank you all, I learned a lot.

Speaker-Aikido Club-May 2, highest ranking Aikido practicing in the US.

Vice President Raza-New senators, have fun. You have to get things done, don’t have grudges against anyone.

Roll Call

Senators Present

Mary Scheider, Joseph Finn, Faraz Khan, Rich Stangl, Katie Hjulberg, Jeremy Casper, Rajendra K. Penugonda, Jessica Boyd, Katie Garrity, Andy Braam, Alex Boyce, C. Rhys Gaffer, Kail Decker, Anand Agarwal, Gordana Copic, Irfan Bangash, Jeff VanDerPol, Celeste Hollerud, Thomas Handwerk, Rebecca Pollack, Ian Radtke, Jayson Read, Megan Brandt

Executive Staff Present

President Joe Muggli, Vice President Ali Raza

Adjournment 4:45 PM

71th MSSA Senate

April 23, 2003

First 71th MSSA Senate

Meeting called order by Speaker Zach Biesanz

Roll Call (present-absent-proxy)

Senators Present

Ryan Demimerly 1-0-0, Abbas Raza 1-0-0, Jake Helgeson 1-0-0, Ina Acharya 1-0-0, Rebecca Echakara 1-0-0, Jessica Boyd 1-0-0, Irfan Bangash 1-0-0, Adam Stegeman 1-0-0, Greg Lessard 1-0-0, Carolyn Peterson 1-0-0, Bryan Hart 1-0-0, Imran M. Hussein 1-0-0, Faizan M. Khan 1-0-0, Jocelyn Crist 1-0-0, Muhammad Jiwani 1-0-0, Jeff VanDerPol 1-0-0, Andrew Braam

1-0-0, Syed M. Umaid 1-0-0, Megan Brandt 1-0-0, Ian Radtke 1-0-0,

Rachel Mudd 1-0-0, Muhammad Sohail Rauf 1-0-0

Senators Absent

Hannah Gehrke 0-1-0, Amanda Huff 0-1-0

Executive Staff Present

President Rhys Gaffer, Vice President Shahzad Anwer

Student Forum

Kail Decker-Looks like a good bunch we have here today. I have a Softball tournament tonight, we are 5-0.

Joe Muggli, I am a Jr, Biology Science and Ecology major. If you read the Reporter you will see that it

says that two people can make a decision, there is not one single person in this room that has

all that power, the Vice President does not have the power; the Speaker does not have the power,

the President does not have the power. You as senators have the power. Speak out.

Jayson Read-Known by my special friends as Gentle Ben. Like many of you two years ago,

I did not know the magnitude of the seat I had. You have no idea what kind of path you will be taking, it is of importance, and it is of honor. You represent 13,000 students. You can get tunnel vision but this is the

second largest school in the state. You make the decisions. Put your personal beliefs aside and represent

the people that elected you.

Senator Boyd-Kitchen utensil-?

Jayson-Check out the April 9 minutes.

Senator Deimerly-What was your most memorable moment in Senate?

Jayson-the 11th hour budget hearing. When things get dicey, that is when it gets interesting. Long

controversial meetings.

Senator Hart-Where you able to know what the students wanted?

Jayson-Keep your ear to the ground; don’t be shy about talking to the student next to you.

Katie Garrity-It is great that we have the Reporter here, they don’t quote you wrong on purpose,

talk to them. You don’t see the room full often unless it is affecting a certain group. Question everything.

Ask questions, if you don’t know enough to agree, don’t. Committees are very important, keep them balanced.

Senator Brandt-What was your favorite time on senate?

Katie-When Cheri was trying to find me a baseball player boy friend. I am a math major and I was quoted in the Reporter that Math majors use chalk.

Senator Boyd-Kitchen utensil?

Senator Copic-I want to tell you something I heard last year, don’t forget to have fun. With all the serious work you have to do, you need to have fun.

Senator Deimerly-What was your worst moment?

Gordana-Ali’s reports, he always said he was going to say just a couple words.

Senator Boyd-What was your most memorable meeting?

Gordana-The budget meeting, 13 hours.

Faraz Khan-Seeing all the energetic individuals here and knowing all the concerns will be taken care of reminds me of my time. I get emails all the time, and my name is always spelled wrong, I would be happy if you could take care of that. Be on the Academic Affairs committee

Rajendra Penugonda-I am a graduate student for two more weeks, graduating in May. Many former senators have been saying a lot of things; you may think that the Student Forum is the longest part. It won’t usually be this long. I will try to make this as interesting as possible. The best thing I like is giving reports because the cool part is that you have to listen to me. You can’t ask me to shut up, you can’t do anything. Advice to grad senators-talk to us, find out what’s going on. Many people before me said senate was fun, I don’t think so. It was absolutely great, fabulously, marvelously fun. I won’t give you my life history. Acknowledges Sarah Craddock, smile at Sarah and Cheri when you go into the office. I’m different from many people; I will be leaving after this semester. Since I came to US, I have met many great people. I’m trying to delay one thing I want to say, but I can’t wait any longer. Many people want me to go away. Yesterday I was offered a full time job in Mankato, and I accepted it. I will still be around, but not around MSU. Please visit me. If things work out well in the next 3-6 months, I might be getting married too. Again, when you are sitting here, you’re not only representing your own opinion, but the entire student body as well. There will be groups representing that will be emotional, as well as yourselves. Think logically and practically and then make a decision. It might happen that the friends you have now will not be friends later because of decisions that you make but you will make many new friends because of this. I thank God and all of you people for being kind and considerate

Senator Boyd-Will you miss everyone fighting to sit next to you?

Rajendra Penugonda-I will miss that, and passing notes, I almost told Megan my life story last week.

Senator Boyd-What was your most memorable moment in Senate?

Rajendra Penugonda-Hard question, whole period was wonderful, lifetime of memories, will share with my grandkids.

Thomas Handwerk-I was an off campus senator. Try to remember big person as well as little person. The biggest thing I did as a senator was helping a person with an administrative appeal-about 20 hours worth. I will still be involved next year. I wish special luck to three senators.

Senator Boyd-How did you become all-Greek King?

Handwerk-Greek Week last week, all-Greek formal dance, I was voted by Greeks as Greek King

Senator Brandt-What was the most important lesson you learned as a senator?

Handwerk-Stand up for what you believe, don’t go in blindly. If you’re the only one fighting but you know it’s right, fight 10 times harder. Follow what your constituents say, but also your heart.

Joseph Finn-I am a former Arts & Humanities senator. I didn’t talk much this semester. I really enjoyed senate. I started in October. Missed fall elections. Senate is a great organization, good way to connect to university, become less apathetic. Take the wisdom of those who came before you and use it to your advantage. Remain true to your constituents. Find common ground with those you disagree with and don’t make things too personal. Leave this meeting without being angry at anyone. To the new Arts & Humanities senator, look for help from others, get involved with Communication Board.

Jeremy Casper-I am a former Grad studies senator-make sure you get involved and find out what’s going on in your college, talk to deans, administrators about issues we may not know about. Give info to students. Keep it fun, some of us can be too serious sometimes. Yellow pieces of paper-read through it, make sure you understand everything fully, if you agree, sign it. When SAC recommendations come through. they have been approved by committee, then senate approves them. Make sure you look stuff up beforehand in SAC recommendations. I am on the Academic Affairs VP search committee, next week and finals week, bringing in 6 candidates, try to meet with these people and give your feedback on which you like the best. President has shown he’s interested in what the students think.

Senator Hart-Where can we find the times for those meetings?

Casper-This should be in the Senate office

Anand Agarwal-Congrats to new senators, vice president, president. I think everyone has covered everything. Best of luck. I think you will do a good job.

Senator Deimerly-Where can I get a shirt like that?

Agarwal-You have to pay $16.

Approval of Agenda approved

Election of Speaker, Katie Garrity appointed Parliamentarian

Candidates: Carri Kessler, Kyle Bradshaw, Zach Biesanz

Opening Statements-

Carri Kessler-Congrats to all on new positions. I want to run because I want to help you guys with the decisions that you will make that will impact every student in this community. I would love to work with all of you. I believe in equality, fair but firm. Like to run things promptly. People who’ve been on committees with me would understand. I have previous experience with parliamentary procedure with sorority and other committees. Would love to work with all of you.

Kyle Bradshaw-Congrats. I’m also big on fairness and equality. I have experience leading and overseeing committees. As Vice President of Student Events Team, I now oversee 7 committees. I like to feel like one big asset. I have experience of parliamentary procedure, secretary of SOAFC, Constitution.

Zach Biesanz-Some of you may recognize me. I’ve been speaker for the last year, two years prior as senator, extensive knowledge of parliamentary procedure. I have read more of Robert’s Rules of Order, more than anyone else in the room. I would also like to serve on Constitution committee, things need to be changed. October and May elections need to be changed. I really think you can’t beat the years of experience. I have learned so much about how to be a good Speaker. Learned lots about parliamentary procedure. If you elect me as Speaker, I will meet with each of you individually to make sure that you know what’s going on. Once we’re all on the same page, we can continue comfortably. Thank you and I recommend that you elect me as your Speaker.

Senator Boyd-Can you describe in better detail what parli pro experience you have?

Bradshaw-With SOAFC, I have experience in parliamentary procedure and with taking minutes. All requests brought to SOAFC had to be approved through parliamentary procedure. I record minutes of committee. Student Events Team constitution, all amendments must be done through parliamentary procedure.

Biesanz-Youth In Government for four years, served on several committees, served as chair. Was College of Education senator my sophomore year, Off campus junior year, and Speaker this past year. As Off Campus senator, I also served as Student Affairs chair. I have a solid understanding of parliamentary procedure and rules of order.

Kessler-Sorority, more formal version, Panhellenic council. Read some of Roberts Rules of Order.

Senator Braam-Could you explain how you will try to be impartial?

Biesanz-First thing I’d like to say is it is correct to use Point of Information to ask the Speaker a question. How will I be impartial? I would like to think that I’ve demonstrated my ability to be impartial on issues where I feel very strongly. Current and former senators have commended me on being impartial. I’ve received endorsement from many senators for bringing parliamentary procedure into meetings

Kessler-Firmly believe in impartiality. Regardless of how you feel on issue, you are representing your constituents, not your personal beliefs, important to know where that line is. I would like to represent what each of you stand for. I think by listening to you that would make me a more impartial person.

Bradshaw-I believe there are not just two sides to each story, there are more. Get every side of story. Don’t have a strong opinion either way no matter how hard you try. Listen either way. Know you are not speaking for yourself. You are representing the whole.

Senator Brandt-What are your motives for running now?

Kessler-I think it’s really important to get involved and in the past year (Junior next fall) I have gotten more involved. I have been moved up to executive boards, after coming to MSSA, I was interested in putting this activity under my belt. It is an important part of student life. I would like to be a part of what goes on.

Bradshaw-I was always involved in campus activities. Now that my schedule allows, I would like to get more involved now before I graduate.

Biesanz-Two reasons: I enjoy it; I think I would do a good job. I’ll be here anyway. You will see me in fall vacancies if I’m not elected. I showed this when I ran for Off Campus senator. I would like to share my experience with all of you.

Senator Boyd-What do you see as role of speaker (other than senate meetings)?

Biesanz-The position goes a long way beyond senate meetings. 4 hours office required. Make sure each person knows and understands parliamentary procedure. I have a lot of experience 1-1 teaching parliamentary procedure. They seem to understand from what I’ve taught them. Also, review constitution and bylaws. We did not have this committee this year. Will be pressuring president to adopt Constitution committee and will then participate in it.

Kessler-I do believe in constitution, very important piece to every working organization. I would like to update this. Would like to work closely with every person in this room as well as those outside of student senate and be able to direct them in the ways that they need to go, through parliamentary procedure, learning who senators are.

Bradshaw-I see the role as constitution, bylaws, as helping all senators feel comfortable speaking and asking questions, also helping the campus community feel comfortable expressing their opinion.

Senator Deimerly-Point of Information-Which way do I look?

Speaker Garrity-Questions go through me to candidates.

Senator Deimerly-How do you plan to resolve conflict? Equal time?

Kessler-Depends on in-senate conflict or off-senate conflict. Assuming you’re speaking about during the meeting, It is mportant for each person to speak their piece. If you feel strongly, it’s important for you to express that point of view. Encourage senators to not add to tension by creating conflict during meeting.

Bradshaw-Of all the times that I’ve been to senate, there has been conflict. People get two chances to speak, use recesses. Arbitration on out of room issues. Listen to each other. Let the other speak.

Biesanz-Over the course of the last year, I’ve always tried to make sure everyone gets to speak once before someone speaks twice. This is part of special rules for budget meeting. Generally each person has a turn until no one else has anything to say. Make sure each person has equal chance to speak.

Senator Brandt-Can you give a reason why you’re more qualified?

Bradshaw-I don’t feel I’m more qualified, I am equally qualified. I have less experience in senate than others, maybe. all candidates are really qualified.

Biesanz-Being Speaker is hard. There is a whole lot going on that you don’t realize. Learning how to be Speaker is even harder. I’m a full year ahead in that process. I think that makes me a far better candidate.

Kessler-I think I am equally qualified even though I may not have been a senator or Speaker previously. I am a quick learner, my drive and desire to learn and serve our campus community, makes me qualified. This will really show in how I serve campus community.

Biesanz-One thing you want to think about is election of Speaker requires 60% majority. You may want to recess for purpose of caucus. Informal discussion, makes it easier to come to 60% consensus. You can talk to current/former senators, they can tell you of my experience, which is highly beneficial. Vote for me.

Kessler-This is an important decision. I’m confident you will all make the right decision whether it’s me or not. Follow your heart but think about your constituents as well.

Bradshaw-Keep what’s best for senate in mind. If you want to call caucus, go ahead. I know the right person will come through in the end.

Senator Braam-Move for a 5 minute caucus.

Motion approved.

Speaker Garrity-The three candidates are Carri Kessler, Kyle Bradshaw, Zach Biesanz

Zach Biesanz elected 2003-2004 Speaker

Officer Reports

President C. Rhys Gaffer

It is nice to see everyone. Please call me Rhys. How do we assess our economic authority? If you feel comfortable signing that, please do so, if you don’t, don’t. Look at our economic authority and how we can exercise that. Student fee consultation process.

#1 Priority-Keep $30 million from being cut from Minnesota State to go to State Grant fund.

#2 Minnesota State requesting to now have student consultation and recommendation on 04-05 tuition by

5/27 (hard to accomplish, but it is a 2yr. budget)

Is this possible? If you feel need to call special session, please do so.

#3 HF261 (SF222)

Hand gun legislation which would presently allow hand guns on university campus.

This essentially takes away protections from your campus from handguns. Would you oppose such a bill? That’s pretty much where I’m at. Congrats to new senators, to new Speaker. I look forward to working with you. I hope to keep briefings short and to get priorities out there. We will evaluate issues in committee.

Senator Hart-Special session, legislative action-what are you referring to?

President Gaffer-That would be if you feel more information is needed, that is one option out there. W are still looking at that consultation process just being fast-tracked, and I’m not feeling comfortable with that. As Student Body President, I can say something about it but would really like to have say from legislative and judicial departments. Are we giving you the resources and the tools? Student Forums, Committees? I have pledged $5000 of $5500 stipend to PR to get recognition on our campus for what we do. I would appreciate PR ideas. I want to help give you the resources to talk to your constituents.

Vice President Anwer-Could you explain what 04-05 tuition is?

President Gaffer-Right now we’re looking at 03-04. Overall we’re looking at a 15% increase over each of the next two years. Priority is to look at grant funding. Next year no one knows what the numbers are. Where is the info that we need to evaluate this? I will try as hard as I can to get more information out to the senators before Monday so you can read that before you come back into the office. It is fuzzy as to what 04-05 tuition will look like. We don’t have this budget settled yet. Since we don’t have this, it’s hard to look at 04-05 tuition.

Vice President Shahzad Anwer

I still can’t believe I’m here now. First of all, people have trouble remembering my name. Shazam, Shaz, Shazman. If you want to call me any of those, I don’t mind, you can also call me by my name. I would love to get to know you personally. if you see me around, try to get to know me, vice versa, would like to get to know you guys. Can’t remember all your names right now. I anticipate the coming year good for us. We can make it very good by working together. We are not here just as individuals but also as a group.

Senator Hart-What kind of hobbies do you have?

Vice President Anwer-I read a lot. I love cooking, do a lot of it. I’m moving off campus, will invite you all over. I don’t know where yet, still not decided. We will have a lot of serious times throughout the year, but I think a little fun would be good too.

Senator Deimerly-Can you make chicken curry?

Vice President Anwer-Yes

Senator Deimerly-Can you show me how to make chicken curry?

Vice President Anwer-Yes.

Point of information

Speaker Biesanz-That is what [follow up] is used for

Senator Deimerly-What does your name mean?

Vice President Anwer-Prince.

Senator Hart-Will you be cooking at the International Festival this weekend?

Vice President Anwer-I will be helping out, choreographing a dance. Was president of ISA this year I’m not directly performing, but helping out in back.

Senator Echaraya-What are you going to bring to the Vice President position?

Vice President Anwer-I see a lot of representation from international students. I’m not here just for international students, but for all students. If senate sees an international student concern as important, we will address it.

Announcements

Senator Radtke-Congrats to all new senators, welcome. I am the senior senator, I can probably help you out.

Senator Bangash-International Festival on Sunday, please come

Senator Hart-will be at International Festival as well, working with Japanese students. My name means strength and virtue.

President Gaffer-MSUSA this weekend, explanation of what MSUSA is. I will be speaking a lot more about that in the future. Rhys means sheep.

Senator Deimerly-My name means little king (descends from Rian Ireland)

Senator Bangash-You can attend MSUSA this weekend and International Festival.

ISA is having a conference on Islam on Thursday from 6-9pm in CSU.

Senator Hart-President sent out action notice to legislative network to talk to their representatives. Let them know what you think about higher education.

Roll Call

Senators Present

Ryan Demimerly Abbas Raza , Jake Helgeson, Ina Acharya, Rebecca Echakara, Jessica Boyd, Irfan Bangash, Greg Lessard, Carolyn Peterson, Bryan Hart, Imran M. Hussein, Faizan M. Khan, Jocelyn Crist, Muhammad Jiwani,

Jeff VanDerPol, Andrew Braam, Syed M. Umaid, Megan Brandt, Ian Radtke, Rachel Mudd, Muhammad Sohail Rauf

Senators Absent

Hannah Gehrke, Adam Stegeman, Amanda Huff

Executive Staff Present

President Rhys Gaffer, Vice President Shahzad Anwer

Adjournment Senate adjourns at 6:24 p.m.

*Senate will meet at 4:00 PM Wednesday, April 30