shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Page address:

71st MSSA Senate

October 8, 2003

Meeting called order by Speaker Zach Biesanz

Roll Call (Present-Absent-Proxy-Excused)

Senators Present

Jessica Cichy3-0-0, Abbas Raza 8-1-0, Muhammad Jiwani 3-0-0 , Rebecca Klatt 3-0-0, Ermira Babamusta 2-1-0, Kristy Anderson 3-0-0, Sudeep Shrestha-proxy Ruth Nieto 2-0-1, Eric Hill 3-0-0, Joshua Brown 3-0-0, Nathan Ettinger 3-0-0, Abuzar Iqbal 3-0-0, Kail Decker 3-0-0, Beth Paulson-1-0-1, Hannah Gehrke 7-2-0, Jessica Boyd 9-0-0, Irfan Bangash 9-0-0, Greg Lessard 9-0-0, Bryan Hart 9-0-0, Faizan M. Khan 9-0-0, Jocelyn Crist 8-0-1, Megan Brandt 8-0-1, Ian Radtke 8-1-0, Rachel Mudd 9-0-0, Muhammad Sohail Rauf 9-0-0 Imran M. Hussein 8-1-0,

Senators Absent

Santiago Vallejo 1-2-0, Ryan Deimerly 7-1-0-2, Dan Poquette 1-1-0

Executive Staff Present

President Rhys Gaffer, Vice President Shahzad Anwer

Student Forum

Andrew Bushard, I am a graduate student. I often fear homecoming. Never in my greatest imagination could I have imagined what happened this year? What was the culprit of this riot? The culprit was alcohol. This was the root. Some say we should work with tavern owners. Guess what the tavern owners are part of the problem, not the solution. They distribute their swill. Who among us has a right to sow disease? No one-. I was happy when I came here and found out this was a dry campus. Dry campus-why not a dry city? Why do we assist on having this type of corruption?. I propose that this body propose a piece of legislation calling on the city to vote on whether the city will allow vendors to sell or distribute alcohol.

Senator Decker-Can you blame a complex issue like this on alcohol?

Mr. Bushard-Certainly not solely.

Senator Cichy-Where you at the riots? Did you actually see the riots?

Mr. Bushard-We can’t all be in the place of events happening, like we all can’t be in Iraq.

Senator Lessard-Are you saying that we should tell business that they should not sell

Mr. Bushard-There should be legislation of such.

Senator Brown-Do you think the bar owners are to blame or the liquor store owners?

Mr. Bushard-Both, anyone that sells this should be held accountable.

Senator Decker-Are you familiar with prohibition in the US?

Mr. Bushard-Yes

Senator Hart-Do you think that anything that could be bad for us should be restricted for people to use?

Mr. Bushard-I believe a substance that does way more harm than good should not be legal, liquor is that.

Senator Cichy-Do you think the liquor stores bring in economy?

Mr. Bushard-I don’t believe that just because money is brought in, it is a good thing.

Approval of Agenda Approved after Addition of Senator Khan to Senator Reports.

Approval of Minutes (10-1-03) Minutes stand approved

Officer Reports

President Rhys Gaffer

Appointments: Rachel Mudd-Enrollment Management Task Force, Affirmative Action Search- Rhys Gaffer

I think you all know what we have been talking about all week. I was called in Sunday to

work with the administration and give the input of students on how we deal with this issue.

Mostly this was a live learning lab. It goes beyond understanding who the public is that you need to reach first. With what went on we are trying to identify short term and long term issues. I tried to pay

attention on Monday to discussions going on. I consulted with MSUSA and members of our own.

I have since then sent an open letter to the MSU campus community. (see enclosed letter) I realize that it is important for you also as elected students to come together and discuss the outcomes. Our state legislators are taking a look a legislation regarding financial aid, on the local level we have seen landlords go forward and ask for additional ordinance and help on what they can do. I think that in the committee meeting we got an understanding of many things that will be happening. There is a perception out there that students are in the wrong. There is a university higher education task force in the community-we are looking at a sub group to look at what we are doing and how we will interact with each other. Tomorrow we have two forums with the headline-where do we go from here?

The first forum is with Dr. Davenport. The Sociology Club and other organizations will assist and offer direction with the second student speak out forum. . I think students will come

together and talk about this. We need to understand the perception is negative on our students and yet that perception should not be for the majority. We need to work on this for as long as it takes. Whatever we can do to support you, we Shahzad and myself will assist you. We have a task force plan from Ohio State to help us get to the baseline of what is going on. We are being compared to what happened at the U of M. Don’t be shy on asking for support and resources. I hope in the coming days we can develop a solid plan on how we are going to deal with this.

We have fall conference for MSUSA next weekend. This is an opportunity to get into some

different subject areas. We do have a full slate of people going but if anyone else wants to go we will get you up there. Talk to Irfan or myself. As we understand the issues we can bring them back.

Vice President Shahzad Anwer

I know everyone is talking about Sat. night. We need to talk to everyone. It would be

wonderful if all of you could be at the forum tomorrow. We might need some help.

We also have another forum next Thursday, it will be on Higher Education and textbook rental.

Last week after Kevin Buisman spook we realized not everyone knew about all the details.

We are looking at the legislative hearing tapes, and we hope to be able have our own hearing.

We will have more information on that for you.

Jeet Sausen is the SAC chair, Daniella Rumpt vice chair.

Sweatshirts-We have decided on a design.

Senator Boyd-Is name on back an option?

Vice President Anwer-I wish we would all have the same thing.

Senator Brown-Once they are ordered, how long will it take to get the shirts?

Senator Boyd-What are the prices?

Vice President Anwer-$19.50 and $23.50 with a name.

Speaker Zach Biesanz

Recognized Student Organizations

Initial-Early Childhood & Elementary Education (ECEE) Club, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society

Renewals-African Student Association, AIGA-Mankato Chapter, MSU Aikido Club, Alpha Chi Omega, American Indian Student Association, The Beacon: Lutheran Student Center (WELS),

Black Student Union, Campus Crusade for Christ, Campus Lutheran Chapel, Delta Chi Fraternity,

Delta Sigma Pi, Economics Club, Eta Sigma Gamma (ESG), Ethnic Graduates Organization, Ethnic Studies Student Association, European Student Association, Facilities Management Student Association, Feminists Under Construction, Ina Bel Shuhadaku at Mankato, Interfraternity Council, MSU Paintball Club, Pakistan Student Association, Phi Kappa Psi, Pre-Law Society, Psi Chi Psychology Club, Marketing Club, Muslim Student Association, Pre-med Club, RPSIG, Student Led All Ages Music Booking Alliance Mankato, Tae Kwon Do, United Campus Ministry, Women’s Rugby

I took the LSAT on Saturday, I survived and getting up at 7 AM was not the worst part of it.

Senator Mudd-Are you still planning the left wing/right wing kick ball?

Speaker Biesanz-Friday at 4:00 behind Gage.

Committee Reports

Student Allocations Committee-SAC-Jeet Sausen, Chair

SAC R#10.08.03B

SAC recommends funding up to $200.00 to the MSU Cricket Club to participate in a Cricket Tournament in Minneapolis, MN.

Senator Bangash-Do you know how well MSU Cricket has done?

Vice President Anwer-I believe they have won all of their games.

Senator Boyd-How many people took part?

Vice President Anwer-About 23

Motion passes unanimously

SAC R#10.08.03A

SAC recommends funding up to $1720 to the MSU Paintball Club to participate in the World Cup Intercollegiate XBall Championship in Disney’s World of Sport in Orlando, FL.

Senator Boyd-Could you tell us about last year’s recommendation?

Speaker-I will decline because I could not do that accurately.

Senator Radtke-Last year SAC treated them as an RSO and they received $50.00 per person. This

year if they are an RSO the amount is way over the $50.00 SAC policy guideline. If they are a

sport club they can receive additional funding.

Speaker-The criteria on what can become a sport club is decided by Campus Rec. If they do

this they can provide funding at Campus Recreation’s discretion.

Senator Lessard-If they are eligible for Campus Rec funds, where they given Campus

Rec funding?

Vice President Anwer-I don’t know that.

Senator Boyd-Do they have to qualify to attend this event?

Speaker-My interpretation is did they have to demonstrate better quality or where all

teams admitted?

Senator Lessard-Is there a member from the RSO here today?

Speaker-They do attend the SAC hearing, but it is very rare that they come before senate, ideally it would be nice.

Senator Boyd-Do you know if they are a sport club?

Vice President Anwer-I assume so, because otherwise they would not be able to get extra funding.

Senator Radtke-Move to table motion until next week.

Motion passes

Coordinator Reports

Student Services Coordinator Megan Brandt

Shahzad and I met with Athletic Director Buisman last week. He mentioned that

they have a $100,000 deficit. This is because of the tuition increase and the amount they give in scholarships. This amount can be given correlating with tuition. They did not

know how much tuition was going up.

Make sure you are getting a feel from all students, talk to the athletes that are getting

the scholarships, talk to hockey players and fans.

Before the forum tomorrow-ask yourself what can we do to prevent this from happening again? Be

very visible. Don’t be afraid to talk to people. Ask people for input. Look at both

sides of the issue. Both sides have valid points at this time.

Senator Jiwani-What rights do they have ?

Coordinator Brandt-Do they have the right to start fires? How can we justify acts?

I don’t know the arguments, but we need to be prepared.

Senator Brown-Will there be law enforcement officials there?

President Gaffer-We are not having law enforcement there tomorrow. This is

a student on student thing.

Senator Reports

College of Graduate Studies-Kristy Anderson

I was on senate for five years as an undergrad. I was a coordinator at MSUSA. I am

now back in school. I have been in Japan the last three years. I am getting married Friday. What is interesting now is that we now have an issue with DI Hockey-I was there when we approved them to go DI. Phase III-I was there too.

We have a right to disagree-but try to be as professional as you can.

We now need to take steps to make sure MSU is where people want to be. This will

impact admissions. It also impacts community relations, we are now further apart.

University Relations-Alumni don’t want to admit they are from a riot school.

Senator Decker-No one can condone what happened but do you look at the U of M

as a riot school.

Senator Anderson-No, but there is talk about the riot.

Senator Brandt-Do you feel the school should punish the individuals?

Senator Anderson-We need to look at both academic and social issues and act

President Gaffer-Do you have information on a graduate studies meeting?

Senator Anderson-I have been contacted by the Dean’s secretary about a meeting.

President Gaffer-We have two academic graduate senators. Do you feel we have sufficient representation from the student services area?

Senator Anderson-I feel we all bring with us a social side as well as our own academic side.

College of Social & Behavioral Sciences-Bryan Hart

Description of hearings: A hearing is a chance to get details on an issue. It is issue based so a committee can bring in people who know specifics about whatever issue they want to tackle. It is also a chance for students to speak their minds and discuss among Senators. It could be used in a situation like the hockey ticket prices if a committee like Student Affairs would like to invite Director Buisman and some others, then make it publicly known.

Public Transit is making some changes to the price for the bus service. Basically, the price for tokens goes from $.83 to $1.11 with the base fair at $1.25. The mobility bus, a handicapped direct access bus, prices were raised to be twice the amount of the base fair, with tokens costing $2.25 apiece.

Academic Affairs will be working on things very soon. We have a new coordinator, David Bullert.

Senator Mudd-Will there not be a UPass anymore?

Senator Hart-They are working on that, they are not sure what to do with school age children.

President Gaffer-What is your feelings on the rate increase?

Senator Hart-The token thing is bad, but it is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Senator Mudd-When do these prices go into effect?

Senator Hart-I don’t know for sure when the date will be.

College of Business Abbas Raza

Agenda discussed with Scott Johnson regarding the College of Business. It was great to

talk to him about the MBA program-it should be launched in the fall. It will not affect

our accreditation. We were told we should start a program. The budget has to be increased

for hiring new faculty. Most instructors find it difficult to use the ucompassing, there

are some problems going on. They are having some boot camps for instructors. He wants

to use it more and more. There is advancement in the Technology Committee and we discussed the technical support. We have a Student Advisory panel-this recommendation came about last year. They want to have two faculty members from each department and at least two students on this advisory board. The Board will discuss problems with the whole committee.

Break down of laptop fees-he told me that the money provides wireless services on campus in Morris Hall and technical equipment. Also discussed hiring of faculty in Finance dept. They don’t have

enough instructors-they have hired one new prof. Students must plan ahead, because of lack

of funds they do not have enough faculty-the Masters program will not affect this.

Sports Management-does not fit into Business.

Senator Jiwani-Is it a good idea to start an MBA program when they have a shortage of faculty?

Senator Raza-They are going to be able to hire some good faculty members.

Senator Bangash-What is the biggest issue in the college?

Senator Raza-The Masters program.

Senator What are the qualifications for the MBA program?

Senator Raza-Anyone can be in the program.

Vice President Anwer-Did you discuss or ask about the issue of paying $125.00 technology fee even if you do not use laptops?

Senator Raza-I did not discuss that. That money is used in all of the College of Business

Vice President Anwer-Where does that money go?

Senator Raza-Wireless, the printer in Morris Hall, equipment used in Armstrong and Morris.

Senator Jiwani-These are used by other students, why does only the College of Business pay

these fees?

Senator -I will get you an answer.

Senator Hussain-When do they set the fee rates?

Senator Raza-The whole package will be decided by the end of the semester.

Senator Shrestha-proxy Nieto-Laptops-not all instructors use this. If the class does not require laptops do not have to pay the fee?

Seantor Raza-If it is not in the course description, you do not have to pay.

Senator Jiwani-Yes, but some say they use it but the instructors do not use it.

Off-Campus Megan Brandt

Remember that you represent thousands of people not just the ones that come here and speak or the ones you know. You need to work to find out what people really feel. Share your information. Do your own research. Keep free flow of information.

President Gaffer-Do you have plans on how you are going to go out and talk to people?

Senator Brandt-You can ask people in your classes what they think about hockey or the riots or

other issues. .

Social & Behavioral Sciences Greg Lessard

We got a grant from the Otto Brun program. This will be a task force with leaders on campus, faculty, law enforcement, the church. It will be training on cultural diversity. It will deal with communities of color. Sociology club will be at the forum tomorrow. Sociology Dept. teaches about group mentality.

I am meeting with the Dean of Sociology this week. I am focusing on faculty members, I am

curious to see how they feel they are contributing, their work load, the budget cuts and how it

affects students. I was at Monks-I can tell you what kind of people they where.

Attended a presentation last night on hate crimes and people watch them happen. The silent

majority. Mass Transit-I encourage many people to bike. Sociologists of Minnesota is having

their annual meeting. They can tell you about collective behavior. Native American awareness week.

This will going on all week. Also in Cultural Diversity-Asian American Music night.

Senator Brown-Are we currently in the Gay Lesbian Week?

Crawford Hall Faizan Khan

My name is Faizan Khan, I represent the residence hall Crawford. I am 19 years old and a freshman. I came to MSU in the spring of 2003. I am majoring in Accounting though I am pretty unsure as of that right now. My minors are Business Law and Business Administration. Residence Hall Association is the association representing students on campus. It is also a sub committee of Student Senate. Mikal Christian is the president and Crawford Complex Director Myrna Hernandez is its advisor. Due to time conflict I haven’t gotten a chance to have a meeting with either one of them. The RHA meeting is on Mondays at 4:00 P.M. usually in this room and I am at work that time. On-campus senators are ex-officio/non-voting members of the RHA General Assembly. President Christian’s office hours don’t match my schedule either. Hopefully, I will arrange a meeting with him by next week and talk about the details in my next report. As of right now, all I know that RHA is doing is what I have read from their website. Their website is Just like us, they just had the core of their members elected recently and they only have had three meetings. They

have few issues to work on right now. Some of them are budget allocations, conceal and carry law of weapons, some issues with parking, students are concerned about smoking, internet in dorms and the virus problems it faces, and of course the set up of their own committees.

Other than that I attended the President’s inauguration. It was an honor to be among the student leadership. Luckily I couldn’t be around the Saturday night riots; I was hanging around at a friend’s place.

Vice President Anwer-Being a Res Hall senator do you have a stance on how the riots have

affected their residents.

Senator Khan-They are affected also.

Senator Decker-Have you ever mentioned to the smokers that maybe instead of building smokers

shelters they could use the money to quit smoking?

senator Lessard-Did that smoking issue of them not understanding others rights or that they

can not smoke in their own room.

Senator Khan-They feel they should be able to smoke where they want. There used to be

selective areas where people could smoke but it affected non smokers.

Senator Jiwani-Can you have something like downstairs in the CSU?

Senator Khan-They have their own voting process and they voted it out.

Senator Bangash-If you were a kitchen utensil what would you be?

Senator Khan-A bread knife, it cuts soft on the inside, sharp on the outside.

Senator Bangash-Cricket tournament-Meyers field house.

President Gaffer-Don’t forget the forums. Senator Hart-I like your urban Huck Finn look.

Senator Brown-Kiss Me Kate-is still running, a lot of work went into this.

This is the only department that is self supportive.

Speaker-My band will be playing at What’s UP. If you are of age, come.

Senator Decker-Show up for the kick ball tournament.

Roll Call

Students Present

Jessica Cichy, Abbas Raza, Muhammad Jiwani, Hannah Gehrke, Emira Babamust, Kristy Anderson, Jessica Boyd, Irfan Bangash, Sudeep Shrestha-proxy Ruth Nieto, Greg Lessard, Eric Hill, Bryan Hart, Imran Hussein, Faizan Khan, Jocelyn Crist, Joshua Brown , Nathan Ettinger, Abuzar Iqbal, Kail Decker, Megan Brandt, Ian Radtke, Rachel Mudd, Muhammad Sohail Rauf

Students Absent

Ryan Deimerly, Hannah Gehrke, Rebecca Klatt, Dan Poquette

Executive Staff Present

President Rhys Gaffer, Vice President Shahzad Anwer

Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 6:14 P.M.