shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minutes

Page address: https://www.mnsu.edu/mssa/docs/minutes_years/minutes/2004-2005/10-13-2004.html

72nd Senate Meeting called to order by Speaker Kail Decker

Roll Call (present-absent-proxy-excused)

Senators Present

Derek Ritchison 8-0-0, Katie Kendhammer 4-0-0, Elizabeth Lange 6-2-0-1, Megan Brandt 6-0-0-2, Irfan Bangash 4-0-0 , Jennifer McGuffey 8-0-0, , Mohammed Omar 8-0-0, Adam Weigold 8-0-0, Shuaib Ibrahim 8-0-0, Trevor Fleck 5-3-0, Taku Kurashige 8-0-0, Thomas Bergstrom 8-0-0, Tim Ibisch 8-0-0, Megan Karsten 4-0-0, Emily Kofoed 7-1-0, Jessica Cichy 8-0-0, Kristopher Lee 4-0-0, Jacly Fishman 2-1-0, Jason Casey 2-1-0, Danielle Thomsen 8-0-0, Jesse Clift 8-0-0, Matthew Wangerin 8-0-0, Joe Mikolai 4-0-0

Senators Absent

Melissa Bartley 3-1-0, Waqas Jamshed 3-5-0,

Executive Staff Present

President Shahzad Anwer, Vice President Goga Copic

Student Forum

Andy Braam-Michael Moore-sued for allegedly giving underwear to students if they registered to vote. Also, I heard the College Republicans were giving two dollars for students that registered.

Approval of Agenda Addition of Senator report-Senator Weigold, Senator Bangash, remove senator Bartley.

Elections: College of Business, Graduate Studies, Undeclared

Syeda Khumar Raza-I am in the College of Business. My major is Corp. Finance and Accounting. I am in the Finance Club. I want to be informed and represent the College of Business.

Senator Ibisch-How much time could you put forward for senate?

Ms. Raza-I am available on Wed. and I do have time to put on this.

Coordinator Neito-What issues do you want to work on?

Ms. Raza-Laptop fees, software fees. Tuition, I would like to organize a forum for students to ask questions.

Vice President Copic-Tell us, if you can, what committees you are interested in and why?

Ms. Raza-Academic Affairs, Legislative Affairs sounded interesting. Budget Sub Meet & Confer,

because I am interested in budgets.

Ms. Raza-I want to work with you because I know you work to benefit all students, I really want to make a difference and do something for the students.

Elected College of Business Senator- Syeda Khumar Raza

Approval of Minutes 10-6-04 Minutes stand approved

Officer Reports

President Shahzad Anwer

Appointments: Bookstore Advisory, Tom Bergstrom, Emily Kofoed, Assessment Council-Jennifer Jacobs, Legislative Affairs-Khumar Raza

When we hold our Meet & Confer with Dr. Davenport’s Council, we can take up to five people, if you would like to attend, please let us know. Currently, a policy under consideration is the Smoking Policy. Personally, I feel it is a biased policy, we can rewrite the policy or we can approve this policy. Also, last year we discussed priority registration, review the policy, we need to give a yes or no or we can stay with last years senate decision. Discuss this with senators and your constituents. The President wants to form a committee on how we can recruit more effectively students of color and ethnic background. This would be a standing committee for a couple years. Also, tomorrow is a very big day. We will be talking to the board of trustee regarding the tuition freeze. The more students we have, the better it is. I want MSUSA to take a different stance, we are saying we don’t want tuition

to go up-but we don’t want the school to not get money. We want to make sure the schools

get money from the state if we have a tuition freeze. I told you we would have someone here today to

discuss the printing policy. That person is out of town. I did print out the information on the web, it

covers most any question you may have.

Coordinator Mudd-Is MSUSA stance the position we will be taking?

President Anwer-We don’t want tuition to go up, we were not thinking of what the university

wanted, they are asking for 9 % tuition increase-that is a considerable amount. We want them

to get funding from the state.

Vice President Goga Copic

We need committees for the following committees: Enrollment Management, Policy..

(Mandarin Game)

Speaker

Recognized Student Organizations: Bangladeshi Student Association, D.A.A.G-Disability Awareness & Advocacy Group, In the Word Church Campus Ministries (ITWC Campus Ministries), IS Club, , MSU Men’s Soccer Club, Recondo Club, RPSIG (Role-Playing Special Interest Group), St. Thomas More Newman Center, Student Art League, Initial recognition- MSU Maverick for Life

Correspondence-Dr. Davenport approved the funding for the Bowling Team, he recognized the

motion on Greek life, approved the mascot recommendation and referred the Greek motion on

policies to Kelly Meier to form a committee.

If you need help writing motions, please see me and I will help you.

Congratulations to Irfan and Ruth and for everyone that participated in Homecoming.

The last debates are tonight.

M#10.13.04A Senator Lee/ Weigold

Whereas: Individuals have been placing unapproved publications in MSUSA’s Monitor racks

Whereas: MSSA is the only member of MSUSA on this campus and are stewards to those

newspaper stands,

Furthermore: The publications being placed in these racks are not produced by MSUSA or MSSA and may not represent the views of either association.

Be it Resolved: MSSA condemns placement of unapproved publications in MSUSA’s newspaper

Racks and that the publications should be disposed of.

Be if Further Resolved: That if it is found that a recognized campus organization in found to be

Responsible, that their recognition should be reviewed, and/or if a University sponsored

Organization is responsible that a complaint shall be forwarded to the administration.

Senator Lee-We should not support unapproved material in our publication racks and it may be

construed as the opinion of the senate.

Senator Weigold-This is a biased publication, if these are in the Monitor racks it may seem that

this is something we are supporting. This is not against freedom of speech, but we need

to take a stance on this.

Senator Lange-Was it a lot of papers or one?

Senator Ibisch-I don’t appreciate information in dorms, I also noticed them in Crawford. People

should keep their opinions to themselves.

Senator Thomsen-Since no ones knows where they came from we should not do this.

Vice President Copic-I move that we table this until next week as most of us do not know about

these papers or where they came from.

Motion to table passes

Coordinator Reports

Legislative Affairs Coordinator-Rachel Mudd

Pizza, Pop & Politics-local candidates will be here to talk on topics at 12:00 in the Ballroom. We are expecting about 200 people. Thank you all for helping with Voter Registration, we turned in over

1100 voter registration cards.

Senator Reports

Crawford Hall-Tim Ibisch

My duty this afternoon is to report on the state of Crawford Complex, not only the sate of our staff but of the whole community of students, and to set forth the responsibilities, in the words of our mission, to form a more perfect student residence hall.

With great pleasure I tell you the state of the Crawford Residence Hall is strong. We live in an age of possibility. Years ago we moved from the low campus to this one high on the bluffs. Now many of us students move into an age of new skills, opportunities, and competition. These changes have opened vast new prospects for us, but they have also presented us with stiff challenges. While more students are thriving, too many of our friends are working harder just to keep up, and they are rightly concerned about the security of their well being. In all these days of promise and days of reckoning, we can be confident. In a whirlwind of change, and hope, and peril, our faith is sure, our resolve is firm, and our will to succeed is strong.

This campus has many challenges. The students of Crawford are not denying, or ignoring them, and we will not pass along our problems to others. We are confronting them with focus, and clarity, and courage. During the last two years, we have shown what can be accomplished when we as students work together.

Many challenges, both here at MSU and in our homes, have come and gone so far this school year. And yet we go forward with confidence, because we know the future lies with our generation. Test scores are up, class attendance is up, and more students are active on campus than ever before. The staff is doing a fantastic job, both students and workers. In fact I was privileged to work on the maintenance crew in Crawford this summer, and I got to know these men and women very well. The new floor tile that we laid this summer is holding up well and our efforts to control smoking are proceeding smoothly. The staff is dealing with problems as they arise, the CA on my floor was replaced and a new one took over without a hitch.

Students in Crawford are some of the most resolute people in Minnesota, and we are rising to every test of adversity this has revealed the character of the students, to the faculty, parents and to themselves.

Ten years from now, another Crawford Senator will stand in this place and report on the state of Crawford. He or she will look back on the past shaped in so many ways by the decisions we make here and now. So let it be said of us then that we were thinking not only of our time but of their time, that we reached as high as our ideals, that we put aside our divisions and found a new hour of harmony and hopefulness, that we joined together to serve and strengthen the school we love.

My fellow Mavericks, this is our moment. Let us left our eyes as one school and from the high peak of this school year look ahead, asking for blessings on our endeavors and on our beloved MSU.

Science Engineering & Technology-Adam Weigold-Many organizations have been working very

hard on voter registration. I don’t think MSSA and MSUSA have paid for any votes. Everyone here

knows we are not paying anyone.

Senator Bangash-College of Business Senator, MSUSA Rep

MSUSA Fall Conference-we will leave here at 1:00 on Friday, October 22.

MSUSA is seeking interns for the tuition freeze program, if you are interested I can get you more information. MSUSA Monitor rack issue, please let me know which racks have them placed in.

Announcements

Senator Cichy-WOW event- House Party at Phi Delta Theta Friday night 8-10. Sponsored by Student Health Services/Health Education, Residential Life and Greek Life. Alpha Chi Omega-candlelight village tonight.

Senator Kurashige-United Nations, CSU 202

Senator Casey-Non traditional-if you know of a non-traditional student ask them to stop by the

Women’s Center.

Vice President Copic-Thank you for playing the game, we wanted to make people comfortable talking

and in a timely manner.

Roll Call

Senators Present

Derek Ritchison, Katie Kendhammer, Elizabeth Lange, Megan Brandt, Irfan Bangash, Jennifer McGuffey, Mohammed Omar, Adam Weigold, Shuaib Ibrahim, Trevor Fleck, Taku Kurashige, Thomas Bergstrom, Tim Ibisch, Megan Karsten, Emily Kofoed, Jessica Cichy, Kristopher Lee, Jacly Fishman, Jason Casey, Danielle Thomsen, Jesse Clift, Matthew Wangerin, Joe Mikolai

Senators Absent

Waqas Jamshed

Executive Staff Present

President Anwer, Vice President Copic

Adjournment