shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Page address:

72nd Senate Meeting called to order by Speaker Kail Decker

Roll Call (present-absent-proxy-excused)

Senators Present

Derek Ritchison 10-0-0, Katie Kendhammer 6-0-0, Elizabeth Lange 7-2-0-1, Megan Brandt 8-0-0-2, Irfan Bangash 6-0-0 , Khumar Raza 2-0-0, Jennifer McGuffey 10-0-0, Melissa Bartley 5-1-0, Adam Weigold 10-0-0, Shuaib Ibrahim 10-0-0, Trevor Fleck 7-3-0, Taku Kurashige 10-0-0, Thomas Bergstrom 10-0-0, Tim Ibisch 10-0-0, Megan Karsten 6-0-0, Emily Kofoed 9-1-0, Jessica Cichy 10-0-0, Kristopher Lee 6-0-0, Jacly Fishman 5-1-0, Jason Casey 5-1-0, Jesse Clift 10-0-0, Matthew Wangerin 10-0-0, Joe Mikolai 6-0-0

Senators Absent

Mohammed Omar 9-1-0, Waqas Jamshed 4-6-0, Danielle Thomsen 9-1-0

Executive Staff Present

President Anwer, Vice President Copic

Approval of Agenda Approved without objection

Presentation-Vice President of Finance & Administration, Dean Trauger

I am here today to start discussion on our MSU 2006 budget. Recently the Board of Trustees approved the 2006-07 budget. MSUSA was lobbying an increase for 2006 with a tuition freeze. Tuition is a key part of funding the university. Right now tuition represents 55% of income for general fund budget. That has increased by over 15% in the past few years. The state contribution is now only 45%. Knowing what tuition will be to the university is very important in planning. We need to make estimations on tuition and enrollment. 75% of budget is personnel costs. We have to guess on labor contracts for the next two years. We have income at over $8 million and expenses at over $9 million, we think we will end the year with a balanced budget because of vacancies in personnel and basing this on historical perception. Rather than make cuts at this time we feel it will be balanced in July.

The state may have to reduce spending in some areas, will they increase funding for education? In preparing this budget we have created two scenarios. 0% increase for tuition is what the students are requesting. Utilities will have an impact this year, they will be 10% higher because of oil costs. We could have a $2.6 million dollar shortfall. One possibility might be if state appropriation remains level. We will be lobbying legislators to make sure they give us an appropriation. We don’t want to be in a situation of having to make significant cuts or tuition increases. If we have a 4% tuition increase and a 4% state appropriation we could be close to a balanced budget. This is what Minnesota State requested. They did not accept the 0% tuition freeze. With assumption of 3% increase in salaries and utilities and insurance increases we feel it would put us close to balanced.

Approval of Minutes 10-20-04 Minutes stand approved

Officer Reports

President Shahzad Anwer

The Trustees when they made the budget recommendation did not include the amount of money MSUSA had requested. We are looking at new lobby strategies. There are internship openings at MSUSA.

Appointments: Elections Committee- Megan Karsten

It is valuable to have experienced people on committees such as this.

Legislative Affairs-Joe Mikolai, Parking Advisory-Tom Bergstrom, STR-Kristopher Lee, ECDC-Kristopher Lee, Recognition Committee- Vicki Verhelst, Free Speech Task Force-Melissa Bartley

Policy consultation and Approval Committee-I need someone to be on this.

Senator Bangash-Are these paid internships?

President Anwer-I believe they are paid.

Senator Ibisch-How did the conference go?

President Anwer-The Conference was ok.

Vice President Goga Copic

We would like to have one on one meetings with senators-please sign up. List issues on campus that you want to work on.

It was great that Dean Trauger came in to tell us about the budget. We have great resources, Adam,

Mike, they can help clarify this budget information. Being informed will help us put forward our suggestions on the budget.

SOAFC meets tomorrow at 2:00, Jacly Fishman, Katie Kendhammer.

Your pictures will be put on posters for your departments. Next semester we will have two coordinator positions open, Academic Affairs and Legislative Affairs.

Recognition Committee-We would like to have our Student Friendly Award and Teacher of the Year

Award system changed. We would also like to look at new recognitions.

Recognized Student Organizations-MSU Student Chapter APICS, VASA Vietnamese Student Association, Students for Sustainability, Delta Chi Fraternity, Human Performance Club, Society of Manufacturing Engineering

We currently have motions tabled, they could be taken off the table and made easier.

I did ok on the LSAT. Intramural Co Rec Basketball team-see me if you are interested.

Committee Reports

Student Services-Tim Ibisch, Chair

We are working on Priority Registration and hopefully we will have a good recommendation. Talk

to your constituents.

Coordinator Reports

Student Services-Trevor Fleck

I have all the Bookstore information that we discussed last week.

Open Forum November 4, 11:30-1:30 above Sandella’s, I encourage all of you to be there.

We need to get the word out to everybody. We need to get posters all over tonight.

Senator Ibisch-Did you get an email saying where you are supposed to vote?

President Anwer-Many universities have their own bookstore, have we ever looked at not having

an outside vendor?

Senator Bergstrom-There was a bookstore like that may years ago, we are looking into that.

MSUSA Cultural Diversity Rep-Ruth Nieto

We attended the Penny Fellowship Dinner on Friday night. The Penny Fellowship Program offers scholarships for students working for a non-profit or service based organizations.

This past weekend we had the MSUSA Conference, I am the MSUSA Cultural Diversity Coordinator. I was disappointed in the representation at the committee meetings. I would like to ask you to consider this seriously. We need input for discussion. Last year’s diversity conference was cancelled because only four people signed up. We would like to have a Cultural Diversity Conference March 31, 2005. The Nellie Stone Johnson Dinner is held at the same time as this conference. Basically this

scholarship provides funding for low income individuals working for civil rights and human rights.

It was brought up in Student Services Committee that there is a need for forming a committee to work on issues that International students face such as when they must pay for their health insurance, this must be paid before they can register. We also discussed Priority Registration-why can’t international students register early? We have an orientation but it is late, it is hard to get classes. Cultural Diversity does not only mean international students, we address all concerns someone may have.

Senator Bangash-ISA is having a soccer tournament, it is open for men and women. Nov. 12-13.

Senator Ibisch-At the spring conference did they decide if it was just cultural diversity or a women’s

conference too?

Coordinator Nieto-No they will not be separate.

Senator Reports

Allied Health & Nursing-Katie Kendhammer

I met with the Acting Dean Of Allied Health & Nursing and they are currently looking for students to serve on the search committee for the Dean of Allied Health & Nursing. If you know of someone that might be interested, please let me know.

Gage A-Megan Karsten

On October 18th, I was able to sit down with Lisa Chandler, The Gage Complex Director.

I asked her how the year was progressing considering the fact that for the first time both towers of Gage are almost entirely first year students. She said that while we do have considerable more first year students this year, the number of students that have been documented for breaking policy is lower this year than at the same time last year.

Two more changes within Residential Life are the extended hours at the front desk and the replacement of the Night Owls with OSMs (overnight safety monitors). At the time that I talked with Lisa, Residential Life was in the process of surveying students to find out if their needs are being met by the new 8:00.a.m. – 3:00 a.m. front desk hours. The replacement of the Night Owls, who in years past answered the front desk phone after hours, kept a log of guests, and gave out guest parking permits, with Overnight Safety Monitors, who answer the phone after hours, lock the doors at 11:00 p.m. and sort mail, hadn’t created major issues at the time of my conversation with Lisa.

Lisa and I also talked about the programs happening in Gage, which include the What’s on Wednesday (WOW) events and the programs planned by the community Advisors. Gage has had larger programs so far this year than in the past, which have drawn between 100 people for karaoke night and around 300 people for the Stoplight Event. Gage was also host to the American democracy Project on October 13th.

Overall, the year in Gage, up to the time of my conversation with Lisa, has been running very smoothly and Lisa was very positive about the outlook of the rest of the semester.

Senator Bergstrom-How , do you get free washing and drying?

Senator Karsten-It is not free, it is included in our fees that we pay.

Social & behavioral Science-Trevor Fleck

The College of Science & Behavioral Science and the Kessel Peace Institute will be holding a TEACH-IN Thursday, October 28 in the CSU Ballroom 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Professors will be discussing issues on elections, war, peace, and justice in a post 9/11 world.

Senator Bartley-I will be speaking tomorrow at this Teach In. It is a non-partisan event by faculty members.

Coordinator Nieto-Did you think there was good attendance at the committees during the conference?

Vice President Copic-I am proud to be part of this senate. You are working hard at getting all the facts.

Senator Mikolai-Fahrenhype 911, tonight and tomorrow at 4:00 in Ostrander Auditorium, this is the other side of Fahrenheit 911.

Senator Kurashige-Explore Iraq, Monday.

President Anwer-Free Government Internship fair tomorrow in St. Paul.

Senator Fleck-Don’t skip out on hanging posters.

Speaker-If the point is to kick the ball in the net, I could do soccer.

Roll Call

Senators Present

Katie Kendhammer, Elizabeth Lange, Megan Brandt, Irfan Bangash, Khumar Raza, Jennifer McGuffey, Melissa Bartley, Adam Weigold, Shaaib Ibrahim, Trevor Fleck, Taku Kurashige, Thomas Bergstrom, Tim Ibisch, Megan Karsten, Emily Kofoed, Jessica Cichy, Kristopher Lee, Jason Casey, Jesse Clift, Matthew Wangerin

Senators Absent

Derek Ritchison, Mohammed Omar, Jacly Fishman, Danielle Thomsen, Waqas Jamshed

Executive Staff Present

President Anwer, Vice President Copic

Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 5:47 P.M.