shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minutes

Page address: https://www.mnsu.edu/mssa/docs/minutes_years/minutes/2004-2005/11-03-2004.html

72nd Senate Meeting called to order by Speaker Kail Decker

Roll Call (present-absent-proxy-excused)

Senators Present

Derek Ritchison 11-0-0, Katie Kendhammer 7-0-0, Elizabeth Lange 8-2-0-1, Megan Brandt 9-0-0-2, Irfan Bangash 7-0-0 , Khumar Raza 3-0-0, Jennifer McGuffey 11-0-0, Mohammed Omar 10-1-0, Adam Weigold 11-0-0, Shuaib Ibrahim 11-0-0, Trevor Fleck87-3-0, Taku Kurashige 11-0-0, Thomas Bergstrom 11-0-0, Tim Ibisch 11-0-0, Megan Karsten 7-0-0, Emily Kofoed 10-1-0, Jessica Cichy 10-0-0-1, Kristopher Lee 7-0-0, Jason Casey 6-1-0, Danielle Thomsen 10-1-0, Jesse Clift 11-0-0, Matthew Wangerin 11-0-0, Joe Mikolai 7-0-0

Senators Absent

Melissa Bartley 5-2-0, Jacly Fishman 5-2-0, Waqas Jamshed 4-7-0,

Executive Staff Present

President Anwer, Vice President Copic

Approval of Agenda Remove Academic Affairs Committee from agenda

Elections: Graduate Studies, Undeclared

Graduate Studies Senator Candidate- Desiree Rowe

I would like to be a part of senate as I feel graduate students are underrepresented. Graduate students are only here two years and they could become an important aspect of the MSU community.

President Anwer-Are you interested in any particular issue?

Desiree Rowe-I am involved in the Women’s Center, my degree will be in Speech Communications. I am interested in the student body and how they get involved.

I highly encourage you to vote in my favor, I am ready and able to be a part of the student senate.

Elected: Desiree Rowe, Graduate Studies Senator

Undeclared Senator Candidate- Michael Bruner

As an undeclared, undecided student I feel I could help other students get involved. I would like to

be more involved on campus.

President Anwer-How did you find out about the student senate and what are your interests and do you know about the time commitment?

Mr. Bruner-I was not sure about the time commitment in the past, I do feel I have time now. I am interested in economics, politics.

Senator Bangash-When will you choose a major?

Mr. Bruner-After next semester, I will pick a major.

Mr. Bruner-I am able to work as hard as anyone else and I would like to be apart of Student Senate.

Elected: Undeclared Senator Michael Bruner

Approval of Minutes 10-27-04 Minutes stand approved

Officer Reports

President Shahzad Anwer

Congratulations new senators. Last year we passed a motion on the Textbook Price Containment Work Group.

Bookstore Advisory Committee Recommendation-Student Senate Initiative

Committee M#04.06.04A

Whereas, both locally and on a national scale there are far too many examples of where price increases for new textbooks have jumped 21% in 19 months or 34% in 36 months; and

Whereas, textbook publishers are motivated to do what they can to persuade faculty of the merits of any new text or edition; and

Whereas, the Student Senate has consistently supported, where the academic discipline accommodates such action, the availability of less costly used textbooks as the primary resource text for certain General Education and/or one hundred level courses; and

Whereas, for the second time in two years tuition is scheduled to increase by 15% resulting in a further squeeze of student pocketbooks;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Student Senate respectfully request that the University create a special ad hoc “Textbook Price Containment Work Group” which is charged with:

Examining textbook pricing trends for both new textbooks, new editions of textbooks now in use, and used textbooks.

Studying what impact there is on teaching faculty and students alike when a change in a textbook is contemplated at the department level, particularly for General Education and 100 level courses (e.g., required changes in faculty lecture notes, a higher new textbook price for students, etc.)

Surveying both teaching faculty and students as to their perceptions of bundled or packaged textbooks and the value and use of related CDs, workbooks, study guides, along with the viability of cash returns on used textbooks and materials, etc.

Contacting other campuses to see what they have done to address rising textbook costs.

Developing recommendations on textbook cost containment that would include viable options for students and not intrude on the need of teaching faculty to provide current information to their students.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the “Textbook Price Containment Work Group” be a composed of students, teaching faculty, and administrators committed to the thoughtful and expedient examination of the issues cited herein. Though not required, it is recommended that the Academic Affairs Vice President’s Office provide coordination to ensure that the group is empanelled yet this spring and that it be supplied with whatever information can reasonably be obtained as the panel drafts its recommendations. The work group would include these constituencies:

At least three students appointed by the Student Association President and confirmed by the Student Senate.

One faculty member, selected in the customary manner, from each of these colleges and schools: College of Allied Health and Nursing, College of Arts and Humanities, College of Business, College of Education, College of Science, Engineering, and Technology, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Library Services, the School of Nursing, and the College of Graduate Studies and Research.

Such ex-officio, non-voting members as may be needed including the Barnes and Noble Bookstore Manager, Maverick Bookstore Manager, and the Facilities Services Bookstore Contract Liaison.

The faculty feels we are trying to infringe on their freedom. I will be meeting with Dr. Bohnenblust, the faculty president about this next week. Our university is doing a campaign

with the St. Paul Foundation called What’s My Score- There will be an open house for this.

In the past years I have noticed that the Student Union Board is no longer a creative board. I have, with

the help of Adam and others created some changes we would like to see happen. You are welcome to

look at this proposal and give your ideas.

Senator Omar-You said there are issues with consultation.

President Anwer-Students are not informed, we should take control. We would like to move on to

having a voice in the Student Union as it is our facility.

Senator Weigold-Is the Price Containment group a subsidiary of the Bookstore Advisory?

President Anwer-No, it has a different focus, we requested this work group in our initiative.

Senator Omar- Have the policies already changed in the Union Board.

President Anwer-I have written a proposal we need to get the administration on board. Anyone

that would like to work on this and look it over, feel free.

Vice President Goga Copic

Thank you very much for giving suggestions on issues we should work on, as well as some events we could participate in or plan. I have passed on some of your suggestions to coordinators who will take your suggestion and start implementing some of them.

I will still email you out the list of issues that you shared in your notes, and maybe you will get very interested and pumped up about certain ones. I strongly encourage you to take advantage of your own suggestions (and some of them world wonderful) and try to implement it this year.

An exciting new topic I have for all of you is something that Shahzad and I have been working on, with the help of our coordinators and administration. Starting next year, MSSA will be giving out scholarships to student leaders. Shahzad has pushed this idea forward and we sat down, created a packet of criteria, forms, etc, and presented it to administration that was very satisfied with our work and agreed to allow us to give out 5- $1000 scholarships to our students. This scholarship is aimed for proven leaders of MSU,. students who are through their involvement, and accomplishments benefiting the MSU Community. Student senators are not excluded from this.

Couple of other things I would like to share with you: Tomorrow, OPEN FORUM. The forum is on Priority Registration, Tuition Freeze, and Free Speech. The reason why it is so important that you are there is because students who will come there to voice their opinions are coming so their representatives have a chance to hear them. And that is all of us. This is a very easy, accessible way to your constituencies.

Also, we have an Open House coming up, which I am very excited about. Vicki, our PR coordinator will share more about that.

Task Force Committees-I will pass around a list of task forces you can get involved in.

Before I end this report, I would like to acknowledge the hard work of our coordinators who have been very active and enthusiastic in helping Student Senate and our students.

Senator Omar-At the forum, will we be focusing on the three issues only, or can other issues be presented?

Vice President Copic-We will be mainly discussing the three issues, maybe if time allows we could

take other questions.

Senator Bangash-Will this scholarship include graduate students.

Vice President Copic-This does not include graduate students.

Senator Bruner-Do you have to be admitted to a major in order to apply for the scholarship?

Vice President Copic-You have to have completed 12 credits.

Speaker Kail Decker

Recognized Student Organizations-Initial: IEEE-Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers, Men’s Club Volleyball, Spanish Club

Correspondence from student attorney-Chris Kennedy. Landlord/tenant, litigation and roommate issues still remain the number one issues visit the attorney about.

Off-Campus Senate seat of Waqas Jamshed will be declared vacant. Election will be held November 17, 2004.

In response to last weeks appointments, officers do not need to be appointed to committees-they are ex-officio members of all committees.

Coordinator Reports

Public Affairs Coordinator-Vicki Verhelst

Posters will be placed in Academic Offices, Residence Halls. Off-Campus senator posters will be placed in the window in the senate office.

Web site-there are still people that need to add their profiles. We still need pictures from Jacly Fishman and Melissa Bartley. We are working on redoing the web site.

Hockey Game-this is the MSSA Corporate Sponsor night. The Blue Line Club meets at 6:30,

you are welcome to attend that.

There were good ideas given last week on promoting senate, many felt we should do more presentations, sign up and we will get the ball rolling on that as well.

Open House-Nov 17. 11: 00-1:00 Senators need to be in attendance to help promote senate.

Senator Ibisch-I tried to input my profile but it would not accept it.

Senator Kofoed-I did my profile and I want to change it.

Committee Reports

Student Services-Tim Ibisch, Chair

Priority Registration-We would like to have a joint meeting with Academic Affairs and come

up a proposal.

Senator Reports

Off-Campus-Jason Casey

Thursday Nov 11-by library, the Vets Group will behaving a moment of silence to recognize vets. We will then travel to the Vets Memorial at the bottom of the hill. Next week will be a non-trad open house in the Women’s Center. There are many ways someone can be a nontraditional. Non-trads are ok with the way the priority registration proposal with the stipulation. Problems with financial aid-there will be 3 or 4 students coming forward next week to talk about some problems. The problems seem to be with student friendliness, the process and also access. They do not like to stand down stairs and talk about issues, they would rather meet with someone. Peace Coffee group-coffee growers are not paying workers

as they should, group will discuss this.

Announcements

Senator Kofoed-Sat open house for incoming freshman-tour guides needed at 10:30 in the ballroom.

Senator Casey-My wife and I make great candles for Christmas gifts.

Vice President Copic-The Hockey game is Friday night at 7:30. 6:30 we can go to the Blue Line Club.

Roll Call

Senators Present

Derek Ritchison, Katie Kendhammer, Elizabeth Lange, Irfan Bangash, Khumar Raza, Jennifer McGuffey, Desiree Rowe, Mohammed Omar, Adam Weigold, Shuaib Ibrahim, Thomas Bergstrom, Michael Bruner, Tim Ibisch, Megan Karsten, Emily Kofoed, Kristopher Lee, Jason Casey, Matthew Wangerin, Joe Mikolai

Senators Absent

Megan Brandt, Melissa Bartley, Trevor Fleck, Taku Kurashige, Jacly Fishman, Danielle Thomsen, Jesse Clift

Executive Staff Present

President Anwer, Vice President Copic

Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 5:05 PM