shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minutes

Page address: https://www.mnsu.edu/mssa/docs/minutes_years/minutes/2004-2005/11-10-2004.html

72nd Senate Meeting called to order by Speaker Kail Decker

Roll Call (present-absent-proxy-excused)

Senators Present

Derek Ritchison 12-0-0, Katie Kendhammer 8-0-0, Elizabeth Lange 9-2-0-1, Megan Brandt 10-0-0-2, Irfan Bangash 8-0-0, Jennifer McGuffey 12-0-0, Melissa Bartley 6-2-0, Mohammed Omar 11-1-0, Adam Weigold 21-0-0, Shuaib Ibrahim 12-0-0, Trevor Fleck 9-3-0, Taku Kurashige 12-0-0, Thomas Bergstrom 12-0-0, Michael Bruner 2-0-0, Tim Ibisch 12-0-0, Emily Kofoed 11-1-0, Jessica Cichy 11-0-0-1, Kristopher Lee 8-0-0, Jacly Fishman 6-2-0 Jason Casey 7-1-0, Danielle Thomsen 11-1-0, Jesse Clift 12-0-0, Matthew Wangerin 12-0-0, Joe Mikolai 8-0-0

Senators Absent

Khumar Raza 3-1-0, Desiree Rowe 1-1-0, Megan Karsten 7-1-0

Executive Staff Present

President Anwer, Vice President Copic

Student Forum

Adam Poole-I am a concerned student and a member of a fraternity. I am here to discuss issues of fraternities. University discriminates on some organizations. University of Wisconsin-Supreme

Court ruled in favor of the university charging student fees as long as the program is viewpoint neutral. Our fraternity is violated because of the special relationship with the university. Everything that the university is doing is against expectations of the national organization. There is a policy on not singling out Greek organizations. At MSU fraternities are required to have 100% participation in Risk Management, this violates our national guidelines. Student Senate created a policy for funding Greeks because they felt fraternities were worthy of funding. There is not one standard for RSO’s and one for Greeks.

Senator Omar-What exactly does it mean to impose restrictions on fraternities?

Adam Poole-The three year plan imposed rules, now the rules are being set by a panel. Fraternities should be able to govern by their own standards. Standards made by the university are in violation of the standard of viewpoint neutrality and student fees pay for this.

Senator Clift-Do the Greeks have an official stance on this?

Mr. Poole-The system wears you down, you complain to the same people all the time.

Senator Weigold-Is this because Greeks are treated different than RSO’s?

Mr. Poole-To my knowledge the Greeks never held a meeting for this. Student fees and our

fees are separate issues.

Senator Omar-Are you against all the standards?

Mr. Poole-I have no problem with standards that apply to everyone. Only certain groups should not be singled out and we should not have certain requirements. It no longer becomes my organization but the universities.

Vice President Copic-You want Greeks to be equal to RSO’s in all aspects?

Mr. Poole-That can not be. There is not neutrality, it can never be neutral. The process should be

the same not the organization.

Senator Bartley-What was the violation?

Mr. Poole-The violation of neutrality. Greeks are signaled out as separate organizations, they are forced into a mold, they have fees, and they have standards such as the three year plan.

President Anwer-How again are they abusing student fees?

Mr. Poole-Things are paid for such as the Greek advisor out of student fee money.

Senator Thomsen-I know political groups are denied funding, this could affect other groups.

Mr. Poole-The policy should look at the number of students served.

Mr. Omar-What is the view of the administration?

Mr. Poole-I raised the issue of discrimination. I have not heard from the Vice President

Senator Bruner-Do you believe there are no differences between fraternities and say German Club?

Mr. Poole-I believe it is not view points but how well they serve students on campus.

Senator Casey-I know you are not asking for funding, but we have been told Greeks are different and should be treated differently.

Mr. Poole-They should be treated by what they do.

Senator Bartley-Did you apply for funding like all the other RSO’s and where denied?

Mr. Poole-No, we receive money from SLD&SL.

Vice President Copic-Are you here representing our Greek system?

Mr. Poole-I am here representing myself and anyone else that feels the same way I do about this.

President Anwer-Do you go to SAC or SOAFC for funding?

Mr. Poole-Any RSO can come to you and ask for funding our funding comes from the university.

Jessica Cichy-Clarification-This has nothing to do with funding. Greeks are a private organization,

they have the right to choose membership. This has nothing to do with the way we are funded.

Senator Thomson-How much do Greeks receive from student fees?

Mr. Poole-It is around $6,000 and we do not get SOAFC funds.

Senator Kofoed-How do you think the Greeks should be treated?

Jessica Cichy-I think it is wrong that College Dems can recruit freshman and we can’t.

Senator Weigold/Lee-Motion

Move to Student Affairs Committee

Motion passes

Approval of Agenda Addition of Senator McGuffey in place of Senator Casey. Remove Presentation. Joint Student Affairs/Academic Affairs

Approval of Minutes 11-03-04 Minutes stand approved

Officer Reports

President Shahzad Anwer

Last meeting of the year-December 8, 2004-Potluck after the meeting.

Appointments: International Student Task Force-President Anwer

MSUSA Tuition Freeze -we are trying to get alumni, faculty, parents involved in contacting legislators to help us with this. We do not want to take funding from the university but get

the state to support funding.

Vice President Goga Copic

We went to the Hockey game Friday night. It was great to beat Bemidji.

I am working on job analysis for coordinators.

Academic Affairs Coordinator and Legislative Affairs Coordinator positions will be open in December.

Newspaper Board-we need one student senator on this board. If you are in Mass Communications you might know more about this or if you are just interested.

Our PR Coordinator is working on designing a new brochure for PR purposes, speaking in classes etc.

Speaker Kail Decker

Recognized Student Organizations-American Chemical Society Student Affiliates, Kappa Delta Pi, Mankato Aspiring Authors Group, MSU Cycling Team, S.A.D.E-Students for Alcohol & Drug Education, Students for Sustainability

Correspondence-Dr. Davenport reviewed the resolutions from the October 20, 2004 Senate meeting. The President provides the following response to these resolutions.

The President approves the recommendation to allocate $1,700 to the MSU Paintball Club to attend the World Cup Intercollegiate X-Ball Championship in Orlando, FL. The President approves the resolution to allocate $150 to the Society of Professional Journalists to attend the National SPJ Convention in New York, N. The President approves the resolution to allocate $135.59 to the Mankato College Republicans to attend leadership training in Brainerd, MN. The President thanks the Senate for the opportunity to review the motion of looking into the possibility of getting a room for the Muslim Student Association. The President thanks the Senate for the opportunity to review the motion addressing the change in the busing route. The President thanks the Senate for the opportunity to review the Smoking Policy motion and welcomes further discussion on the topic.

Elections next week for Off-Campus senator seat.

Committee Reports (Joint reports)

Academic Affairs-Megan Brandt, Chair

Student Services-Tim Ibisch, Chair

We are dealing with a serious issue, Priority Registration is serious, and we have gotten a lot of input. We would like to make some recommendations. The university wanted our input.

Joint Academic Affairs/Student Services Committee Motion #11.10.04 A Priority Registration

Move to re-consider the proposal of Priority Registration as presented by the administration with the addition of these recommendations:

・Individuals can only apply to 200 level or lower general education categories

・Application process to be done on an individual basis (written application and letter from advisor and coach if applicable)

・Expiration/Sun-set clause allowing MSSA and Faculty Association to review program

・Registration window open 24 hours before original registration window only

・Define “University sponsored activity” as an activity that cannot be controlled by university officials

Chair Ibisch-We are striving to make things better, you can object but keep in mind this is to achieve academic standards for the university.

Senator Bergstrom-What was the consensus of the group?

Chair Brandt-Everyone was in consensus.

Senator Mikolai-Do you have anything in there on academic standards?

Chair Brandt-We don’t but the organizations do have set requirements.

Senator Cichy-Was there a feeling that this would pass no matter what we said? In the event we are

against this, will the university pass this anyway? There was a general consensus that this would pass no matter what we did even if we said it was utterly wrong. I had 0 athletes tell me they need this. I had many students say it was ridiculous.

Senator Weigold-We are consultants, we are part of the decision making process. These are just ideas

we would like them to consider. I am against it but I am for this motion. The administration will take

our recommendations highly if we work with them.

Senator Ritchison-I think the administration will go along with our stipulations, any single person does have the ability to apply, it is not limited to athletics.

Senator Ibisch-This is not us versus them, we are trying to work together and intercede for the students and not see things get out of hand.

Senator Kendhammer-Are we asking the administration if they will make these changes? We need

to say yes or no. Are we saying without these recommendations we do not support this?

Senator Casey-You have to remember that when someone says they are for or against this we need to

tell them the parameters on how we are changing the policy. Priority does not mean someone is better than someone else, it is just prioritizing people. Let’s have some input on how it is to be done.

Senator Bergstrom-We should say this is a bad thing because this would help athletes. We need to help everyone. This is way to narrow, we should not do things just to make people happy.

Vice President Copic-We are not taking a stand, we are just negotiating, our power is in negotiating, and we are trying to help one group without hurting another. We are trying to do what is in the best interests of all students.

Senator Weigold/Ibisch-Move to amend that person applying must be in good standing with the university.

Senator Omar-What is good standing with the university?

President Anwer-Good academic standing is 2.00. If you do not have that it shows you can not prioritize your activities and studies.

Senator Kendhammer-These students already have GPA requirements. Why do we need to add

additional amendments?

Senator Weigold-The university already does have requirements, but this would define it.

Senator Casey-Good standing may not apply to grades.

Senator Omar-By adding this it makes it more confusing.

Senator Ritchison-I don’t think this makes it more confusing and it does not hurt to emphasis this.

Vice President Copic-Students on probation do not get to register before other students. Drinking in dorms could put you in bad standing with the university.

Motion to amend fails 10-15.

Senator Cichy-Last year students were furious when we discussed this so be prepared for the consequences.

Motion #11.10.04 passes

Senator Reports

Science, Engineering & Technology Adam Weigold

Proposed Amendment to the MSSA Bylaws

Article XI

Senate Platform Document

Section 1

The Senate Platform Document shall be established and shall include (but not limited too) all Senate resolutions subsequent to the passage of this article, and the dates on which they were voted upon. This document shall be considered as the de facto document for determining the stance on an issue, if nay, the association has.

Section 2

The Speaker of the Senate shall be responsible for compiling, organizing, rectifying contradictions

(by making new amendments supersede old language), and updating this document before the next regularly scheduled Senate meeting after amendments to the document have been initiated.

Section 3

Amendments to the Senate Platform Document shall automatically be initiated by a simple majority vote of any Senate resolution; however an amendment may be initiated at any time by a simple majority vote. After the Speaker of the Senate has compiled an updated copy of this document with the initiated amendment, the amendment will be approved, not withstanding of the Senate, at the following regularly scheduled Senate meeting.

Student Union Board discussed the Muslim Student Association request for space, we are doing fact finding and hopefully that information will come soon and we can report on that.

Senator Omar-Did anyone check to see if there will be rooms opening in the CSU?

Senator Weigold-As general space that would be a long shot, it would probably have to be RSO space.

Senator McGuffey-College of Education

I went to the Open House that the College of Education had during Family Fun Weekend. I just kind of wanted to see what it was about and I wanted to see if I could find out anything new about my college, basically we hung out and talked due to the fact that there was a really low turn out. Also, the Dean of the College of Ed was supposed to be there, and he wasn’t able to come. There was supposed to be a faculty panel discussion and that got cancelled. We did talk a little about the elementary education program. A change was made to our program. Basically they changed the

program so that our last two semesters before we student teach instead of doing clinicals for ½ day for three weeks we now spend the whole day. I am actually experiencing this part of the program right now. I think it was a really good idea. I think it is a more authentic learning experience. At the open house we also went and looked at a smart classroom. This is a room in Armstrong a lot like the ACC.

I think that part was more interesting for the parents than the students.

Speaker-Motion Senator Bangash/Omar M#11.10.04B

Move to allocate $200.00 from the MSSA budget for the Eid/End of the Ramadan dinner being organized by Muslim Student Association and International Student Association on Monday November 15, 2004.

Senator Bangash-The groups asked for money from ISA but we are asking for more because of the amount of people we will be having.

Senator Omar-Can this come from SOAFC?

Speaker-SOAFC is a different funding, this would be from the MSSA budget.

Senator Wangerin-Is this open to all students?

Senator Cichy-This would set a nasty precedent and other groups would then come forward.

Senator Kurashige-What has been spent from our budget for other organizations?

Speaker-The MSSA budget is the discretion of the President.

Senator Casey-Wouldn’t this be better served by going to SAC first?

Senator Weigold #11-10-04C

Move to allocate $200.00 from the Non-budgeted Request Fund for the Eid/End of the Ramadan dinner being organized by Muslim Student Association and International Student Association on Monday November 15, 2004.

Senator Weigold-Basically this would automatically refer it to SAC.

Speaker-We are moving to allocate from SAC-it would be smart to do this

Motion to amend-change MSSA Senate budget to non-budgeted request fund.

Motion to amend passes

Motion #11.10.04 C fails

Announcements

Senator Bangash-All senators are invited to the end of Ramadan dinner in 253-255 at 6:00 P.M. on Monday.

Senator Fishman-Gamma Phi Beta Chili Feed.

SLD&SL-Leadership workshop

Senator Casey-Veterans day tomorrow.

Roll Call

Senators Present

Derek Ritchison, Katie Kendhammer, Elizabeth Lange, Megan Brandt, Irfan Bangash, Jennifer McGuffey, Melissa Bartley, Adam Weigold, Trevor Fleck, Taku Kurashige, Thomas Bergstrom, Michael Bruner, Tim Ibisch, Emily Kofoed, Jessica Cichy, Kristopher Lee, Jacly Fishman, Jason Casey, Jesse Clift, Matthew Wangerin, Joe Mikolai

Senators Absent

Khumar Raza Desiree Rose, Mohammed Omar, Shuaib Ibrahim, Megan Karsten

Executive Staff Present

President Anwer, Vice President Copic

Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 5:59 P.M.