shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Page address:

72nd Senate Meeting called to order by Speaker Kail Decker

Roll Call

Senators Present

Derek Ritchison 14-0-0, Katie Kendhammer 10-0-0, Elizabeth Lange 9-3-0-1, Megan Brandt 12-0-0-2, Jennifer McGuffey 14-0-0, Desiree Rowe 3-1-0, Adam Weigold 14-0-0, Shuaib Ibrahim 14-0-0, Trevor Fleck 11-3-0, Taku Kurashige 14-0-0, Thomas Bergstrom 14-0-0, Michael Bruner 4-0-0, Tim Ibisch 14-0-0, Megan Karsten 9-1-0 , Emily Kofoed 13-1-0, Jessica Cichy 13-0-0-1, Kristopher Lee 10-0-0, , Danielle Thomsen 13-1-0, Matthew Wangerin 14-0-0, Joe Mikolai 10-0-0

Senators Absent

Irfan Bangash 9-1-0, Khumar Raza 4-2-0, Melissa Bartley 7-3-0, , Mohammed Omar 12-2-0, Jacly Fishman 7-3-0, Jason Casey 8-2-0, Jesse Clift 13-1-0,

Executive Staff Present

President Anwer, Vice President Copic

Approval of Agenda Agenda stands approved

Presentations-Ryan Boon, RHA President

I am Ryan Boon, President of RHA. I am here to discuss Room & Board rates for 2005-2006. We held two private meetings with Director Janney, she broke down base rates like plumbing etc. She came to general assembly twice . We approved the addition to the base rate. We had a small increase. Rates were approved overwhelmingly

Senator Ibisch-In dealing with laundry, was that reconsidered?

Ryan-That was not one of the voting options.

Senator Kofoed-Did you approve the readership program?

Ryan-Yes, and we included Sat and Sun.

Vice President Copic What does base cover?

Ryan-Plumbing, electrical, gas, cost of living, inflation about 2%. In general some went down

like technology, $500,000-$300,000. This is one of the smallest increases.

Undeclared Senator

Crystal Borchardt-I am in the process of changing majors, I was involved with RHA and I am

now in Campus Rec. I want to be involved and to make a change in people’s lives. I want to inform others of changes. Thank you and I hope to be apart of your team.

Elected: Undeclared Senator Crystal Borchardt

Approval of Minutes 11-17-04 Minutes stand approved

Officer Reports

Vice President Goga Copic

President Anwer and I met with Ryan Boon and discussed the consultation process. Something new,

adding ice machines, this is what students had requested. The readership rate decreased even adding

weekend editions. Ryan really communicated well with us.

MSUSA Conference-We are hosting the Conference January 21-23. We are changing the conference a little, maybe karaoke Saturday night. I want to encourage all of you to come to the conference; we are working on our tuition freeze campaign. You need to be informed about that.

President Anwer met with Vice President Trauger and discussed issues with Financial Aid. We need

to get engaged and look into issues. We are creating a focus group and need students to sit on that

and focus on these problems. If you know of students from your constituency, we need this ASAP.

Don’t forget the potluck next week. Don’t add yourself to the agenda that night-do it ahead of time.

Speaker Kail Decker

Dr. Davenport thanked us for allowing him to review our Priority Registration proposal.

Christopher Kennedy monthly report.

Recognized Student Organizations

Phi Upsilon Omicron, Malleus Malefactoris: An Exploration of Heavy Music, Food Development Club, Civil Liberties Club

Committee Reports

Student Services-Tim Ibisch, Chair

Quick meeting today about the Bridge Proposal, we would like to recommend that they do a more

thorough survey and bring it back to us.

Senator Reports

Crawford Hall-Tim Ibisch

Good afternoon and thank you Mr. Speaker. I come before you today to perform the duty required

by our student constitution and bylaws, that of addressing you my fellow senators various times of the year.

For certainly throughout this great prosperous year, we should remember how much we have been given, and how much we have to share.

We think of those among us who spend the holiday season in sadness or solitude. We think of those facing illness, or the loss of a loved one, or the hardships of poverty or unemployment. And across our campus, caring students are reaching out to those in need by volunteering their time. By serving a cause greater than themselves, students spread hope in our community, and they make our state better, one life at a time.

Indeed we should no longer write off some students as hopeless. All have been given gifts and will achieve in accordance with these abilities. We should insist on high standards and accountability because we believe that every school should teach and every student can learn.

If we are to build this new age of achievement, you and I and all of us together must build first the decent society to deliver it. Students are taking the first steps as they have in the past to raise the level of compassion in our society and visible effects are readily apparent to me.

We expect universities to do their job, and we’re helping them to do their job. So there’s no excuse for failure. When we set a high standard, we are showing our belief in the capacities of every student. And when we prepare them to meet a high standard, we’re giving them a better chance in life. High expectations set students on a path to success. Even in this time of stress amongst the struggle and splutter life, we should ask for harmony between all students and senators, and I will continue to ask for your help in doing good in the upcoming year.

We look back on 2004 with some regrets but also with pride. We must look forward with determination and with resolve. Thank you.

Vice President Copic-You mentioned explicitly about doing various things next year, what exactly do you think we should do?

Senator Ibisch-Volunteerism, people don’t see the affect of student participation, students are not always visible in the community. Jump Start is a good example of a program in the community that students are involved in.

Speaker-Amendment to MSSA Bylaws

Article XI

Senate Platform Document

Section 1

The Senate Platform Document shall be established and shall include (but not limited too) all Senate resolutions subsequent to the passage of this article, and the dates on which they were voted upon. This document shall be considered as the de facto document for determining the stance on an issue, if nay, the association has.

Section 2

The Speaker of the Senate shall be responsible for compiling, organizing, rectifying contradictions

(by making new amendments supersede old language), and updating this document before the next regularly scheduled Senate meeting after amendments to the document have been initiated.

Section 3

Amendments to the Senate Platform Document shall automatically be initiated by a simple majority vote of any Senate resolution; however an amendment may be initiated at any time by a simple majority vote. After the Speaker of the Senate has compiled an updated copy of this document with the initiated amendment, the amendment will be approved, not withstanding of the Senate, at the following regularly scheduled Senate meeting.

Senator Brandt-Is this something that the Speaker would sign, or would everything be added to

the document that we have done this year.

Senator Weigold-It would start from today; previous items would have to have a motion to

be added.

Motion passes

M#12-1-04 A Senator Brandt/Vice President Copic

Move to thank the administration for allowing us to review the Intellectual Property & Copyright Protection Policy.

Senator Brandt-This just lets them know we read it and we don’t see any changes, we are not saying yes or no. .

Senator Weigold-The part pertaining to students is the same language we have always had. I don’t

see any problems with passing this.

Motion passes

Jessica Cichy-Interfraternity Council/Jimmy Johns hosting a dodge ball tournament this sat.

Megan Brandt-Aids Awareness Week

Roll Call

Senators Present-Derek Ritchison, Katie Kendhammer, Elizabeth Lange, Megan Brandt, Jennifer McGuffey, Desiree Rowe, Adam Weigold, Shuaib Ibrahim, Trevor Fleck, Taku Kurashige, Thomas Bergstrom, Michael Bruner, Tim Ibisch, Megan Karsten, Emily Kofoed, Jessica Cichy, Kristopher Lee, Rob Wills, Matthew Wangerin, Joe Mikolai

Senators Absent

Irfan Bangash, Khumar Raza,Melissa Barley, Mohammed Omar, Jason Casey, Danielle Thomsen, Jesse Clift

Adjournment Meeting adjourned at 4:39 PM