shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Minutes

Page address: https://www.mnsu.edu/mssa/docs/minutes_years/minutes/2005-2006/01252006.html

 73rd MSSA Senate
January 25, 2006

 

Meeting called to order by Vice President Bruner
Roll Call (present-absent-proxy-excused)
Elizabeth Zika 16-0-0,  Haley Pederson 13-3-0, James Dye 15-0-0-1, Kevin Bender 15-1-0, Brandon Ross 15-0-1, Jenna Ault 16-0-0 Melissa Turner 16-0-0, Kristeen Giese 9-0-0, Gabe Afolayan-proxy 14-1-1, Ofunseye Ogunseye 13-3-0, Christopher Frederick 15-1-0, Lisa Darvell 15-1-0, Josh Peterson 14-2-0, Marianne Reilly 6-0-0,  Sarah McLaughlin 10-3-0-3, Maria Schweer 9-2-0, Omolayo Ogunnowo 10-1-0, Shannon Woods 14-0-0-2, Eric Christensen 8-0-0, Jessica Cichy 14-2-0, Matthew Ward-proxy 14-1-1, Jeff Brand 8-0-1,  Jared Jackson 16-0-0, Ian Boyd 11-0-0, Ryan Anderson 6-0-0,  President Rob Wills 14-1-0-1, Vice President Mike Bruner10-0-0

Approval of Agenda  Agenda stands approved

Approval of Minutes   12-07-05 Minutes  Minutes stand approved

Presentation-Dr. Warren Sandman-HLC Visit
HLC Visit-Feb 6-8.  MSU will be visited by a team from the Higher Learning Commission.  Accreditation happens about once every 10 years.   This process looks at our criteria to see if we deserve official accreditation.   Students will have an opportunity to meet with the HLC team on Monday-Feb 6 at 3:00 PM in CSU 201.  The team will ask about everything.  The focus is Academics but other areas as well.  If we lose our accreditation-we all leave, as we would lose financial aid.  Federal education funding is contingent on accreditation.  That affects everything from our budget to financial aid to students.  That’s why this is so important.  This is a good opportunity for us to tell about our university and its’ qualities.
Senator Boyd-Is there any possibility we would not get accredited?
Dr. Sandman-I don’t think so, last time they had some concerns and came back four years later.  When they came back we had rectified all the concerns.  This does cost us money so we like to be prepared and have worked on many areas. 
Dr. Sandman-Everything is posted on-line, skim through it.  They will stop people in the hall and ask
about the institution from everything to integrity to student learning to effective teaching, service.  It is not a bad idea to be briefed on this.

Presentation-Director of Athletics-Director Buisman, Director of Campus Recreation-Director Pfingsten Pfingsten/Athletic Facility
In the past couple years during campus master planning, Athletics, Campus Recreation and Human Performance were asked to put together a plan to expand recreation opportunities.  Last Spring we were asked to revise this document, put numbers to it and we have been partnering in that since.  This is not a done deal.  We want student input; we want to know what you want.  This is yours; we want to know how to foster growth with you.  This is a collaborative effort; this is truly an area that will be used by Campus Rec, Athletics and Human Performance.  The president charged us to put this together.  The President is truly committed to Campus Rec and Athletics.  He is leading by example. He wants faculty and staff to use this as well.  The proposal is part of a strategy to increase student recreation participation form 60 to 80 percent.  This would create wellness that will increase student retention, decrease absenteeism, and positively impact academic and personal success.  As far as the action plan, currently our track can not be used, we are losing our Rugby Pitch with the addition of the new residence hall.  Campus Rec is bursting at the seams.  Last spring there were 81 softball teams. We are at a 300% growth.  It would be nice to play under the lights as it is hard to play all the games in day light hours.  We need modernization-we don’t have bath rooms, storage sheds, and safety is an issue.  We have under lighted fields.  Along with this the softball outfields run together-it is unsafe.  We don’t have the opportunity to reposition the fields because of space.  Safety is huge.  This plan proposes $21.7 in two phases of facility and field improvements.  Included in this Strategy is the introduction of a student fitness fee similar to what St. Cloud, Duluth and many colleges in the Midwest have done lately.  This plan aligns with key strategic university initiatives to benefit health, wellness and safety.
We have heard students say they came here for sure when they saw our facilities in Campus Rec.  We can have revenue from the softball fields because they will be state of the art, as well as Blakeslee and the rugby pitch.  We can get the region involved.  This will also improve campus beautification.
The scope consists of 6 initiatives:  Improve campus rec fields, construct multi-purpose stadium, convert field 3 to a soccer pitch, install synthetic turf at MP stadium and Blakeslee, and install bubble at Blakeslee and tennis courts and construct student ice facility.  Campus Rec would be improved by 3 new softball fields, relocate rugby pitch, lighted soccer field, renovate lacrosse field.   We get requests to play soccer under lights.  This is a living document, changes can be made.  For rugby enthusiasts, you will be able to use field 3 this fall when the current one goes off line.
Lighted fields are central to growth of Campus Recreation Program.  Lighting of fields expands window of opportunity for organized play.  This window of opportunity will be able to be expanded.  Health & wellness is here to stay.  After 6:00 P.M. at night Campus Rec could then play on field turf.  This is an opportunity to play flag football in the fall. 
Director Buisman -Construct Multi-Purpose stadium:  We are talking multi-purpose, broad based for all students.  This facility would have multipurpose.  Students now have to go to West High School for track practice.  This would be all weather, small stadium, 9 lane track.  Rugby and soccer could play there.  There would be an extra large infield that could be used by high school football.   It could be a regional center.  This is good for recruiting and retention.  The more people come on campus the better. 
Director Pfingsten-There would be opportunity for flag football on that space.
Director Buisman-This is a highly coordinated usage so something is not setting without use.
Field 3 will be converted to a soccer pitch-current varsity field used for campus rec.  Soccer will continue to need to practice on grass field.  What is important is that use will be coordinated between campus rec and athletics.  Now because of wear and tear on the fields it would be hard to share Blakeslee because a field can not be torn up for a Saturday game.  This will allow both.
Turf at Stadium and Blakeslee-longer wear & tear surface, extends field use to year round.  There will be shared use for varsity programs and campus recreation.  We are the only team in the conference playing on natural grass. U of Neb has two field turfs dedicated to flag football.  It is virtually indestructible.  It is all-weather.  The beauty of field turf is that we could practice this time of year. 
The bubble structures-inflated by air, heated @55 degrees, extends playability to year round.  St. Cloud has
this-it is not a dome, it runs from end zone to end zone.  It can be enclosed when the weather gets bad like
Nov. to April.  We are not land locked but Blakeslee is a lot of property dedicated to maybe 10 games a year.
This would allow many programs and club activities to perform in this facility.  This would be great for
the university.  Almost 70% of use at St. Cloud is done by users other than Athletics. 
Director Pfingsten-this would allow clubs to practice after 6:00 p.m. indoors.  Baseball and softball would move to the bubble and then campus rec would have the field house.  Opportunities are endless.  People could do football, jog. This moves outdoor clubs to another facility in winter months.
This would free up Myers field house for more campus rec.  The Tennis courts would then be able to be offered more for academic offerings.  Tennis is popular on this campus, we lost courts to disrepair (50%)  A bubble
would allow Tennis to practice on campus and not drive to Gustavus.  Human Performance believes with a bubble 6 courts would be enough for academics.
Director Pfingsten-Many people want to play tennis but now they do not have the opportunity. 
Director Pfingsten-The student ice facility would be used for:  Women’s practice and games, men’s practice, intramurals and sport clubs, academic classes, community use.  In this community there is a need for 2 or more sheets of ice for all hockey.  There would be an explosion in broomball and intramural ice hockey.  Currently students have to pay to use ice hockey at All-Seasons Arena for intramurals.  We could also offer open stating.  Last week All-Seasons was at capacity for open skating.  There were about 400 students there.
Director Buisman-If this was on campus there would be more students that could use this.
Director Pfingsten-Academic classes would be brought to campus.  There would also be a revenue stream because of youth hockey.  The facility would be 78,000 square feet and about 1500 seats. 
The schedule for the plan would begin with design by March, bids and award by April, construction beginning May 06-Sept. 06, the rugby pitch in Aug of 06-07 and the bubbles in November of 06.
Director Buisman-Estimated student costs per semester-amortized over 20 years.  $77.70 per semester, roughly $150.00 per year.  This is unprecedented on this campus but this would be student based.  We have many things in the past that have not required student fee money.  St. Cloud did not just use student fee money.  We would like to pledge that we will not have a user fee. 
Director Buisman-This is an investment in physical health.  It also affects retention.
This would be a four year project.  We would give you a phased approach  2006-2007 would be $40.51 per semester.  07-08 $40.51, 08-09 $77.70, 2027-2029-$48.64 per semester.  Students would not pay for facilities not on-line.
Director Buisman-We appreciate this opportunity.
Senator Ross-Would this be included in student fees?
Director Pfingsten-This would be an added fee.
President Wills-This is based on semester?
Director Pfingsten-That is correct.  
Senator Boyd-As far as life time changes-you said the turf is indestructible.    I have heard turf is about 10 years.  What happens in 10 years?
Director Pfingsten-We would hopefully have a revenue stream that could be used for maintenance.
Senator Boyd-This does include maintenance fee?
Director Buisman-Yes, I think it is about $300,000 per year.  A portion would be set aside for maintenance.
Senator Brand-How much are you intending that we pay per year?
Director Buisman-This would be the proposed fee $77.70.  But we feel when 50%
of campus is involved in campus rec, that is a large portion of the students.  That is why this is proposed
as an additional fee.  It does not come from tuition dollars.  It is aimed at extra curricular.
Director Pfingsten-With the capital campaign underway, this recreation funding is not coming from that.
Senator Jackson-You said the Bubbles are seasonal-how long does it take to put them up?
Director Pfingsten-That is about a day project.
Senator Jackson-What is the life span of Bubbles?
Director Pfingsten-I don’t know I will find that out.
Senator Dye-The estimated student costs have changed from the presentation given at SAC.
Director Buisman-It is roughly the same but we are now looking at including the ice.  Annual cost would be $155.00
Senator Dye-Is the interest rate locked in?
Director Buisman-I think Dean Trauger could better answer the financing. 
Dr. Swatfager-Haney-The way the interest rates are calculated depends on how the bonds are sold and we know when they
are sold what the interest rates are.  Interest rates will not change.  We will pay off bonds.  They do not
very over life time of bonds.
Senator Darvell-Bubbles seem to take up more space-how do you work that around the space we have?
Director Buisman-We have not invested time into architecture at this time.  People that we have talked to are confident they can put it into our existing space.  We have had only preliminary consultation.
Director Buisman-Bubble concept is new to a lot of us.  We will be going to St. Cloud and see how it would work for us.
Senator Darvell-Is this one Bubble?
Director Buisman-We are talking about two Bubbles.  One over Blakeslee and tennis courts, but we want your feedback.
Senator Giese-What resources have you explored besides student fees?
Director Buisman-We have looked at other funding, but with the capital campaign, Dr. Davenport has said we will not pursue private or other funding.  We could go other directions.  We have been approached by the
community on a sheet of ice.  This will probably come from student fee money.  If students are not
interested we will not have these resources on this campus.  We will follow-up with the community on the ice.
Director Pfingsten-The community has also talked about soccer.
Director Buisman-When you share with an outside interest they believe they have ownership, you lose sense of ownership of campus facility and it is difficult for growth of your own program.
Senator Giese-Do you know the life expectancy of any of the facilities?
Director Pfingsten-We are talking 30+ years.
Senator Bender-Why or when?  What facility of all do you think you would get the most use of by students,
the bubble, track, hockey?
Director Pfingsten-The outdoor stadium when considering all the programs. 
Senator Boyd-What about other high schools-are they contributing fund wise?
Director Buisman-All entities are potential partners-but there is the danger of ownership.  If youth soccer wanted to commit $200,000 it might be better placed in deferred maintenance costs instead of ownership-more like rent.
Senator Boyd-You are saying we could not take in revenue?
Director Buisman-There is a potential pitfall-not revenue but rather sense of ownership like they want 20% of time etc.  like prime time hours.  You get into struggles with outside investments.
Senator Cichy-Many students are not fond of this or maybe they are only fond of certain parts of it?  Are you willing to give?
Director Buisman-It would be your facility-we are willing to give but there is the question of significance of importance. It has to be something that is negotiable and in the interest of student support.
Director Pfingsten-This is our best attempt on feedback heard over the years on what we need. 
Director Buisman-If this does not align with what you feel we need to be negotiable we can look at the plan. 
Director Pfingsten-This is what aligns with Nebraska and Caswell Complex.  It is state of the art. 
Senator Zika-I realize you have been here a long time-what do you think is absolutely necessary?
Director Pfingsten-The safety of the facility-we have a long history of rugby.  Growth and needing the ability to play under the lights, to play softball, football, to have synthetic surface and bubbling tennis soccer pitch.
It is win win when I look at freeing up field house especially this time of the year.  We are bursting at the
seams now, we are seeing 2,000 students a day right now.  That is a great problem to have.
Director Buisman-I think the ones most critical are the intramural fields, there are hazards out there.  Can we survive in Athletics?  Yes, but Tennis spends about 3 hours driving time, track runs or drives to West everyday, we can survive-the most important are the ones that serve the broadest base.
Senator Frederick-I agree on the softball fields, will the cost for teams to play go up?
Director Buisman-No, cost has not gone up.  We have to cover costs of lights and officials but plan is
not to increase dramatically.
Senator Ogunnowo-How can we recruit better athletes?
Director Buisman-The indirect benefit is recruitment and retention-there is no question that it is hard to recruit track and tennis when you tell them they will have to drive to practice.  Students are coming from high schools where they have
top notch facilities, students don’t make their choice on whether we have  field turf for flag football, but undeniable it would help recruitment of athletes.
Director Pfingsten-Currently we show recruits campus rec.  Both indoor and outdoor facilities recruit better quality student athletes.
Senator Ward-How are you going to market this to get students to approve this?
Director Buisman-We are looking to you so students can make an informed choice.  We want your ideas and assistance on open forums, in the res halls, we will meet with other organizations like Student Events Team.
Director Pfingsten-We are meeting with as many different student groups as possible.
Senator Jackson-What will happen with the observatory?
Director Pfingsten-We are looking forward to what the lightening committee says for the direction we should go.  It does have an impact.
Director Pfingsten-We are confident we can work out a compromise.
Senator Reilly-In regards to Rugby-have you talked to the Rugby Club?
Director Pfingsten-I have met with Jim Peterson, we have meetings set up with Rugby, Soccer, Hockey.  We are going to get involved with all organizations.
Director Buisman- We want to minimize disruption for Rugby.  We don’t want to bump them around but we might have to for a short time. 
Director Pfingsten-Athletics mentioned Field 3-that could work for one season.
Senator Giese-You mentioned that 60%of students use this.
Director Pfingsten-We were at 30%in 1999.  We now show about 60% are using in some way.  It might be just once.
Director Buisman-We can show usage figures because they use Mav card.
Director Pfingsten-About 1900 student used campus rec on Monday.  Since Jan 1 about 40% are using Rec center.
Senator Giese-Was this based on all students?
Director Pfingsten-All students.
Senator Giese-Do we know the difference between students using indoor and outdoor?
Director Pfingsten-Outdoor is students that use football, track.  I can give you numbers of intramural sport clubs. We can’t id all areas, we have pool numbers, aerobic.
Senator Giese-Will you need to hire more staff to take care of these fields.
Director Pfingsten-That falls in operation.  Campus Rec now has a need for a facilities full time person.  Scheduling
is difficult.  Can we get it done without this?  Yes, but it is difficult.
Senator Giese-Where does the money come from?
Director Pfingsten-Student Fee support.
Senator Frederick-Roughly 40% of students are using this, how will you get other students to use this?
Director Pfingsten-We could say build it and they will come.  Campus Rec needs to do a better job of marketing what we do and what we offer. 
Senator Bender-You said student fees paid 70% at St. Cloud?
Director Buisman-They were able to garner about 30% of state money.
Senator Bender-What about other schools?
Director Pfingsten-Duluth was a student initiative, Nebraska was a partnership.

Old Business
Motion 01.25.06A  Senator Woods/President Wills   Student Union 2006-2007 Budget


            Move to approve the 2006-2007 Student Union Budget with a proposed facility fee assessment of $10.45
            per credit hour up to 12 credits.

Senator Woods-This is a standard budget. We heard the presentation and the reasons for the increase.
President Wills-Union Board came up with this and they did their job. 
      Motion passes

Elections-Speaker, Allied Health & Nursing, Gage A, McElroy, Off-Campus
Speaker-Dave Bottin, Gabe Afolayan
Mr. Bottin-Thank you.  How do I sell myself to the senate.  I would like to ask the previous speaker
Questions.  I had a desire for government in Jr. High and have continued ever since.  I have attended many forums.  I am very interested in state and federal government. I like dealing with decisions senators have to make.  I have been on the Constitution Commission, studied Roberts Rules, joined military and am able to gain order.  I have a mentor and advisor.  I hope to make a better person of myself.

Mr. Afolayan-I am currently on senate representing SET.  My ideas were highlighted in the email I sent to all of you.  I understand the magnitude of this position.  You set the way Senate flows.  Another stand point is that the Speaker should be motivated, accountable, keep attendance, and keep track of votes.  I have had a variety of work experiences that have challenged me.  I have been a CA for two years.  I am a Human Biology major.  I am currently chair of Academic Affairs and I am on SAC.

Senator Giese-How do you maintain being nonpartisan?
Mr. Afolayan-That is a big challenge.  I have had the privilege of being  a chair and being unbiased.  I have
coordinated activities.  As far as being unbiased, I strive to be the best I can be.
Mr. Bottin-Through my time in the military.  Also being on Parking Appeals I had to be unbiased.
Senator Woods-How much time do you have?
Mr. Bottin-I have one morning class, I do not have any class on Wednesday.
Mr. Afolayan-I have a part time job but I have time to do this job. 
Senator Cichy-Part of this job is interpreting our  constitution.  What experience have you had with this ?
Mr. Afolayan-I have had to consult the constitution, as far as the rules for Academic Affairs, I try to have
quorum and that everyone has an opportunity to look over the polices. 
Mr. Bottin-As a member of the Con. Commission I have looked over the constitution.  When the student senate
overrode a veto of Pres. Gaffer.
Senator Jackson-If there is a vacancy in the President and Vice Presidency of the senate, who takes over?
Mr. Bottin-It is the senior member of student senate.
Mr. Afolayan-I thought it was the Speaker until a vacancy was filled.
Senator Boyd/Senator Cichy - Call the Vote
Elected Speaker-Gabriel Afolayan

McElroy Hall-Russell Peters, Colleen Maes, Andrew Bittner
Russell Peters- I am 27 years old and living in McElroy, I have been made aware of many
issues in the dining facilities, students are not able to use their meal plan except at Carkoski Commons.
I would like to also talk about the living conditions, students are trying to find other places to live.  I would
like to see students be proud of where they lived.

Andrew Bittner (AJ).  I am a Math major /econ freshman.  I have lived in Mankato the past
8 years.  I have seen the changes in the campus.  I have seen progress on campus, it is making great progress.
I have many leadership qualities.  I have a wonderful relationship with constituients in McElroy.  I feel
I have a good ability to form coalitions of like minded individuals to bring about progress.  We need
to look ahead to progress in the years to come.  This student body is a great catalyst for growth.

Colleen Mays-I am a freshman, I live in McElroy, and I am elementary ed major.  I am currently serving as an
RHA rep.  I am connected to my hall.  It is important for people on senate to talk to people they represent.  I would have a voice as a freshman; I would bring people’s opinions here.  I don’t know about committees but I am a quick learner.
Senator Boyd-We do things all over campus, what are you interested in?
Mr. Peters-I am interested in many activities.  This fall I played flag football, as the oldest out there it was a challenge.  I am involved in two other RSOs.
Mr. Bittner-I am interested in interaction with the community.  We need a good public run.  We draw upon
Mankato residents, we need good interaction.  I am also interested in governmental aspect and state funding,
Ms. Mays-I am a member of the academic learning committee.  I am very active with the events McElroy
puts on.  I spend a lot of time on my books.
Senator Bender-Speaking as an alum-what hall do you live in?
Mr. Bittner-F Hall
Ms.
Senator Bender-Will you be living there next year?
Mr. Bittner-No
Ms. Maes-No
Mr. Wilson-I am not sure.
Senator Jackson-If President Davenport asked you about something needing repair in McElroy what would you say?
Ms. Maes-Carpeting, it is suffering, it is horrible.
Mr. Russell-The ventilation, it is too hot or cold. 
Mr. Bittner-In the main hallway it is hard to maintain a temperature.  The windows are in disrepair. 
Vice President Bruner-In our mission statement it says we want to keep student fees at inflation or less,
what do you think about that?
Mr. Peters-Inflation will always go up, if we can keep that to a minimum it would be great.
Mr. Bittner-Fundraising was talked about in the presentation but they could do more to help so that student fees are not affected so much.  Student fees take a toll on lower income students.  We need to look at state funding.  I also feel we really need to look at private funding.
Ms. Maes-I feel improving is a must but we can’t expect students to keep paying more and more.
Vice President Bruner-Student fees in general-should we pay inflation or lower?
Mr. Peters-Yes,
Mr. Bittner-Yes,
Ms. Maes-No
Senator Reilly-Call the vote
Elected: Andrew Bittner McElroy Hall Senator

Off-Campus Candidates:  Jason Casey, Philip VanWyngarden, Emily Kofoed, Aaron Johnson, Nicholas Halverson
Mr. Casey-I have been on SAC four years, senate three years.  I have dealt with many budget issues.  I have looked at off campus and on campus issues.  I bring balance.  I am willing to look at issues and see what is best for everyone.  I look at the people I represent.  I smile and say hi to everyone.  I talk to people about issues. 
Mr. VanWyngarden-I am a third year student in Computer Information/Communications/Honors-I am vice president of Honors Society of speech communication.  I am an army veteran.  I have been married for seven years.  I have one year in college.  I started in 1995.  After 6 years the changes around here are amazing.  I have worked with many people.  I have a lot of experience in listening.  I like to problem solve.  I like to look at the root of issues.
Emily Kofoed-I was on senate last year.  I did not run in the fall as I had two jobs.  I loved senate because I enjoyed getting the information and seeing people compromise and see people stand for positions.  I liked taking information out to constituents.  I like students to be informed.  I miss that.  Living off-campus I know a lot of people that I could represent.
Mr. Johnson-I am a PSEO student-why running?  A lot of individuals going here are PSEO.  I would like to
represent them.  I am qualified because I have been involved in local government.  I am on the All Seasons
Arena committee.  I see things that should be brought to Mankato.  I am on the Mankato Transportation committee. This needs to be enhanced.  I would like to see changes in transportation.  I am involved in the Mankato Drug And Violence committee.  I don’t have preconceived notions.
Mr. Halvorson-I live in Mapleton-this is my first semester, I transferred from Bethany.  This senate seems to be doing the same things being done on the senate at Bethany.  I am an open person.  I was also at SCTC-I was apart of a business association.  At Bethany I was on student leadership and do have leadership qualities. 
Senator Boyd-A big part of being an off-campus senator is dealing with landlords-what experience do you have?
Mr. Casey-I live off-campus, I had problems with renters.  I know what landlords can and cannot do.  I have attended Landlord Tenant forums and have been part of them.
Mr. VanWyngarden-I have rented for 4 or 5 years.  I like to do deal with them one on one before problems
begin.  My style is very direct.
Ms. Kofoed-It is important for students that rent to read there lease before renting, communication is a big problem.  My experience is being informed.
Mr. Johnson-I have heard the good and the bad.  I work for a landlord.  I hear their side and also the student’s perspective.
Mr. Halvorson-I do not rent but I deal with landlords in my work.  I have not heard of terrible problems. 
Senator Boyd-What do you plan for action?
Mr. Casey-I base things on my experiences and network.  There is also the senate lawyer, plus brochures and resources on campus.  With past issues there is always two sides.  I am always the devils advocate to get to the facts.  Communication and listening are important.
Mr. VanWyngarden-I hear horror stories.  I think off-campus students need to seek benefits from good landlords. 
Ms. Kofoed-There are resources available, forums.  If there is a forum it needs to be advertised heavily.
Mr. Johnson-I have heard horror stories-if students have had positive experiences they need to make that known.
Mr. Halvorson-Communication is the biggest issue.  You have to be able to listen. 
Senator Bender-What is your major?
Mr. VanWyngarden-CSET/Communications/Honors,
Ms. Kofoed-Mass Communications
Mr. Johnson-Currently undecided but taking Political Science courses.
Mr. Halvorson-College of Business
Mr. Casey-CSET/College of Business
Senator Bender-Are you on good academic standing?
Senator Cichy-Dave Bottin-proxy-approximately 11,000 students.  What could you do to help students that travel when professors say don’t miss and the weather is terrible?
Ms. Kofoed-I think the university can recognize who in their classes do travel.  It is hard to reach out to
students far away.  I guess the Reporter is a good resource. 
Mr. Johnson-I think those individuals should let the professors know of issues they are having and why they
can not live in Mankato.
Mr. Halvorson-You do need to communicate to your instructors, most instructors are helpful.  Get to know your
classmates and you could ride share.
Mr. Casey-What I would say is get to know the professor.  I believe professors are encouraged to use D2L. 
Go to the Dean of the College-it is your education.
Mr. VanWyngarden-All students should be proactive.  You need to build up trust so they believe you.  MSU
used to have the commuter lot.  It was a lot reserved for students coming from far away.  I think the campus is trying.
Elected Phillip VanWyngarden Off-Campus senator

Officer Reports
President Rob Wills
Appointments; SAC-Joseph Neigum, Derick Ritchison-International Program Advisory Committee-Marianne Reilly
      I have known about this campus rec/athletic proposal for a while.  Don’t forget we have the Hockey suite-Feb 4.  RSO Policy will be coming up for review. 
      MSSA sponsors a Leadership Scholarship, flyers went up this week.  Encourage students to apply.

Vice President Bruner
This is unprecedented the amount of money that is being asked for in this proposal.  We need to take this seriously.
Senator Bender-What do you think our time table is?
Vice President Bruner-April, election day.

Speaker
Initial Recognition:  American Society of Civil Engineers-MSU, Eta Sigma Gamma

 Senator Reports
College of Graduate Studies-Kristeen Giese (written report)
My recent activities have centered on doing research regarding the Sexual Violence Education Coordinators position. I interviewed leaders from the region who hold similar positions. I also worked with Senator Mc Laughlin to research other campus services that might possibly provide or not provide similar services. I talked with as many students as possible regarding the position as well, so I could get their feelings on the position.

I also was appointed by the commission on the status of women to help create a training session about workplace bullying for staff development day on campus. I worked with Susan Taylor and Dean William Wagner on this presentation and awareness session.
 
I have eagerly been waiting for the website to be finished, so our constituents can have a place to get information about the issues and have a means to voice their opinion. I also am excited for students to have a current list of who represents them. 

I am starting to research the Student Bill of Rights.  I wish to familiarize myself with what is going on with the issue and then bring awareness to the students on campus.

I am also working on trying to continue my discussion and planning with Dean Delgado and Chris Mickle from Graduate Studies on the subject of communication gaps for graduate students.

 New Business
Motion 01.25.06 B  Vice President Bruner/Senator Jackson


Whereas:                The proposed Recreation & Fitness Facilities Plan is a student life issue

Be It Resolved:        The MSSA instructs the Student Affairs Committee to submit a recommendation to the Senate pertaining to the proposed fee increase.  This recommendation shall be presented no later than two weeks from the passage of this motion.

Vice President Bruner-This is a student life issue.  It is too big to hash out in the senate.
Senator Jackson-Yes, we should have a committee look at this.
Senator Bender-How many times have Student Affairs had quorum?
President Wills-This should give them a project to work on and come together.
Senator Jackson-I feel this semester will be different.
Motion passes

Announcements
Vice President Bender-Happy Birthday James.
Senator Dye-January 28-Whats Up, Derek Ritchison band
Vice President Bruner-MSUSA coming up March 31.
Senator Giese-Gloria Steinem-February 14.
Proxy Bottin-Vets Club, Feb 27.
Senator Frederick-Ride the Red Bus skiing to Welsh Village
                                                     
Roll Call
Senators Present
Elizabeth Zika, James Dye, Director Buisman Bender, Kristeen Giese, Seyi Ogunseye, Christopher Frederick, Josh Peterson, Marianne Reilly, Andrew Bittner, Jessica Cichy-proxy David Bottin, Jared Jackson, Ian Boyd, Philip VanWyngarden,
Ryan Anderson
Senators Absent
Haley Pederson, Brandon Ross, Jenna Ault, Melissa Turner, Lisa Darvell, Sarah McLaughlin, Maria Schweer, Omolayo Ogunnowo, Shannon Woods, Eric Christensen, Matthew Ward. Jeff Brand
Executive Staff Present                                                                                                              
President Rob Wills, Vice President Mike Bruner, Speaker Gabe Afolayan

Adjournment    Meeting adjourned at 8:00 P.M.