NewsPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/news/read/?id=old-1231425685&paper=its
New MSU Password Guidelines for Improved Security
Next time you change your password, you must comply with new MnSCU security requirements.
Bryan Schneider, Tech Srvcs Dir
In order to comply with MnSCU security procedures, the next time you change your password for MavMAIL, MavNET, campus computers, D2L or other systems, you will notice that the rules are now different. (Note: This does not apply to ISRS)
Do you need to change your password now?
No, if your current password works, you can continue to use it until it expires. The new complexity rules apply when it comes time to change your password.
Yes, if your password is expired and you cannot log into a computer.
- Passwords must be at least 8 characters long.
- Passwords must include a combination of 3 character types such as numbers, special characters, lower case letters, or upper case letters.
- "New password" and "Verify new password" must match.
- Passwords must not be reused.
- Passwords must be changed every 180 days.
- Passwords should be easy to remember. E.g.: my Roommate is my best friend 4 Life! = mRimbf4L!
- Passwords should not be easy to guess: sports teams, nicknames, pet names, etc., are too easy.
As an example - GoMavs1 - will not work. Although it contains uppercase, lowercase and a number character, it is only 7 characters long. (pretty easy to guess too)
How do you change your password?
- From a campus Windows computer - just login and then press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and click Change Password.
- From within MavMAIL, click “Options” (in the upper right-hand corner of your browser) and click “Change Password” under options.
- The password change web page is www.mnsu.edu/password (you will need your Tech ID and PIN)
Did ITS do something to make my password expire suddenly because I can’t get logged in?
We may have and we apologize for that. (This was not intended.) If you cannot get logged into a campus computer, the network, D2L or other resources, you will need access to a web browser to access the password change web page at www.mnsu.edu/password (you will need your Tech ID and PIN)
Are we doing this to make your life miserable?
No, not intentionally. It’s meant to help protect your privacy and to comply with MnSCU standards, data privacy and other regulations.
Where can I find the standard and guideline?
MnSCU will publish the standard sometime this month on the Board of Trustees Policies web site.
REMEMBER: ITS will NEVER ask for your password either via e-mail, text message or any other method for any reason. You should suspect that something is wrong if you are asked to send anyone your password. Your password is YOUR OWN SECRET.
Additional questions? Contact Kevin Thompson, Information Security Manager at 389-5033 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Problems? Contact the ITS Help Desk at 389-6654.
Director of Technical Services
Office of Information and Technology Services