News HighlightsPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/news/read/?id=old-1316651173&paper=topstories
Illusionist Reza, football game to highlight Oct. 1 homecoming
Football game, illusionist headline Homecoming Weekend.
Minnesota State University, Mankato Media Relations Office News Release [9-21-11]
Illusionist Reza will light up the stage in a performance Saturday, Oct. 1, as one highlight of Minnesota State University, Mankato’s Homecoming Week Sept. 26-Oct. 1.
The show will cap an activity-filled homecoming day, headlined by the Maverick football game against Winona State University at 2 p.m. in Blakeslee Stadium.
Reza will perform in Bresnan Arena at 8 p.m. The event, open to students, faculty, staff and the public, is free to students with MavCards, and $5 for others.
Reza has been featured on shows broadcast in 31 countries. He headlines his own shows with a cast of performers from “America’s Got Talent,” “Oprah” and more. The Bismarck Tribune calls him the “magician prodigy.”
Other events leading up to Saturday’s football game and illusionist performance include:
- Monday, Sept. 26: Installation of Marian Anderson’s painting “Journey” in the refurbished Centennial Student Union Ballroom Lobby, 10 a.m. At 11 a.m. on the campus mall, President Richard Davenport will kick off Homecoming, followed by a mall block party with a band, lawn games and tournaments, free snacks, bonfire and free fireworks until 10 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 28: Dodge ball tournament in Myers Field House starting at 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 29: Lip Sync at 7 p.m. in Bresnan Arena. Homecoming king and queen will be crowned during the event. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. campus community members will contribute non-perishable food for the food shelf.
- Friday, Sept. 30: Pep rally with the Every Avenue Band at 7 p.m. in Myers Fieldhouse. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct.3: Game day kicks off with a free president’s community appreciation pancake breakfast at 10 a.m. The homecoming parade is at noon, and the football game against Winona State starts at 2 p.m.
Jennifer Guyer-Wood, the university’s director of alumni relations and special events, said many Homecoming Week activities provide an opportunity for the university to connect with the Mankato community.
Those who want a complete listing of homecoming activities may go to http://www.mnsu.edu/homecoming/schedule.
Minnesota State Mankato, a comprehensive, doctoral university, is part of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system, which comprises 32 institutions across the state.