News HighlightsPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/news/read/?id=old-1412111052&paper=topstories
Oct. 6: Founders Day, Fountain re-dedication
Event to start at noon; free cake will be served.
Minnesota State University, Mankato Media Relations Office News Release, 9-30-2014
Mankato, Minn. – Minnesota State University, Mankato will re-dedicate the fountain on its campus mall during the university’s fourth annual Founders Day celebration on Monday, Oct. 6.
This year the university is celebrating the 146th year of its founding in 1868.
The event begins at 12 p.m. and is free and open to students, faculty, staff and the public outside near the campus fountain area. (Note: The rain location will be the Lincoln Lounge, located on the first floor of Centennial Student Union.)
The Maverick Athletic Band will perform at 12 p.m. to open a brief program that will include remarks at 12:05 p.m. from Minnesota State Mankato Vice President of University Advancement R. Kent Clark and Minnesota State Student Association President Mariah Haffield. Free cake will also be served.
The event will also serve as a re-dedication of the campus fountain, which re-opened in August after undergoing maintenance work during the previous academic year.
The fountain was installed in 1969 and designed to create a spiral effect with stationary water jets. Its design came from part of the New York City World Fair in 1965. The sculpture, by Roger Johnson, a former faculty member in the art department, was not originally part of the work and was added in 1975.
For more information on Founders Day activities, please contact Mark Constantine, director of Centennial Student Union and Student Activities, by phone at 507-389-2224, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minnesota State Mankato was founded in 1868 as Mankato Normal School, serving 27 students, with a purpose of instructing students in the science and art of teaching. The first class graduated in June 1870 with 10 students.
In 1921, the school became Mankato State Teachers College and began offering two- and three-year degrees. In 1939, the first four-year degrees were awarded. The first master’s degrees were awarded in 1954, and the first doctorates were awarded in 2009.
The school became Mankato State College in 1957, with an enrollment of 7,000. It became Mankato State University in 1975, with enrollment of 14,000, and Minnesota State University, Mankato in 1998. Enrollment is currently more than 15,000 students, and Minnesota State Mankato now offers more than 140 undergraduate programs and 80 graduate programs.
More information on the history of the institution is available at http://sbs.mnsu.edu/history/ngphc/msu_history.php.
Minnesota State Mankato, a comprehensive university with 15,409 students, is part of the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities system, which comprises 31 state institutions.