News HighlightsPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/news/read/?id=old-1439913065&paper=topstories
Gold Parking Permit Holders Displaced on Move-In Day
Faculty, staff, administrators asked to adjust parking plans during move-in day.
Minnesota State University, Mankato Media Relations Office Announcement, 8-18-2015
August 18, 2015
TO: Campus Community
FROM: David Cowan, Facilities Services Director and Parking & Transportation Administrator
RE: Residence Hall Move-In Day – Traffic Control’s Biggest Challenge – Gold Permit Holders Displaced – “Minnesota Nice” Rules
Thursday, Residence Hall Move-In Day, is the best time to project our version of “Minnesota Nice” – it is a stressful day for the residence hall students moving in and their loved ones who help shoulder the boxes. It is not a “reach” to predict that 4,000 vehicles will hit the campus core.
For you folks in key parking lots, I respectfully ask that you relocate for the day. Use our distant lots (Lot 20, 21, 22, and 23) if you can and walk to work that day. There will be large shuttle buses that you can hop on but they well may be stuffed with students and parents.
Traffic will be slow moving so avoid main access roads like Stadium Road, Warren Street, and Val Imm Drive. Certain Gold permit holders and summer free parkers from these following areas are asked to relocate for the day: (See map below.)
- McElroy Curbside Gold Permit Holders – Relocate to the Visitors Paylot free of charge or Trafton Curbside Gold (Maywood East).
- Maywood Curbside Gold Permit Holders – Relocate to Visitors Paylot free of charge.
- Rugby Curbside Gold Permit Holders (West Road and South Road by Sears) – Relocate to the Visitors Paylot free of charge.
- Lot 11a Gold Permit Holders – Relocate to Visitors Paylot free of charge.
- Lot 12 Gold Permit Holders - Relocate to Visitors Paylot free of charge.
- Lot 16 Gold and Green permit parkers – Vacate that entire lot, Gold relocate to Lots 20, 21, 22, or 23, Green to Lots 20, 21, 22 and 23. Stay out of Lot 5, notwithstanding that the attached map indicates that you can relocate to Lot 5 – too much construction going on there so please keep away.
- Summer Free Parkers – Relocate to Lots 20, 21,22, and 23 (Free Lot) across from Blakeslee Stadium.
Wednesday Afternoon – Vacate these lots or face the Dreaded Tow:
- Lot 14/14a (back of Crawford) – Vacate Lot 14/14a by 3:30 PM Wednesday or face a tow.
- Lot 15 (front of McElroy) – Vacate Lot 15 by 8 AM Wednesday or face a tow.
- Lot 16 (Performing Arts) – Vacate Lot 16 by 5 PM Wednesday or face a tow.
On Thursday you are free to use the large buses which will ferry residence hall students back and forth – no charge, of course. Those who have received their 2015-16 parking permits should remember that they don’t kick in until Monday, August 24 the first day of classes.
Please be careful and patient. If you see me on the street, chances are you are in the wrong spot. I’ll be working the access points to the residence halls and mixing it up with those customers.
David Cowan, Facilities Services Director
Wiecking Center, Room 358
Minnesota State University, Mankato 56001
State Cell: 507-327-8512