shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Academic Warning

Page address:

Student in Library

Why am I on academic warning?


Students go on academic warning when one of the following University academic standards is not met:

  • (a) you have an MSU GPA of less than 2.0, and/or
  • (b) you have a cumulative credit completion rate of less than 67%. Your cumulative completion rate includes coursework completed at other institutions.




What do I need to do if I am on academic warning, or probation?

Students work with the College of their major while on academic warning or probation. Undecided students work with New Student & Family Programs advisors. Check out this website for more information:




How can I have a GPA above a 2.0 and still be on academic warning or probation?


University academic standards are defined as:

  1. Achieving a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher in all MSU coursework (excluding transfer coursework), AND
  2. Maintaining a cumulative credit completion rate of 67 percent or higher in all your coursework  (including PSEO, concurrent enrollment, and other transfer credits).


You may have a GPA of 2.0 or higher; however, if you have not earned a number of your courses because of incompletes (I), in progress (IP), no credit (NC), withdraw (W), or failure (F), you may be below the 67% credit completion rate required to meet University standards.

Calculate your completion rate by using the following formula: (Earned credits, credits where you've earned grades of A, B, C, D, P) divided by (Total attempted credits, credits where you've earned grades of A, B, C, D, P, F, NC, I, IP, W, Z).

For example: Sandy has attempted 25 credits at MSU. She received 10 credits worth of straight As. She withdrew from 15 credits because she was not getting good grades and wanted to protect her GPA. Unfortunately Sandy’s completion rate is only 40% (10 ÷ 25 = 0.4). Sandy received an academic warning because of her low completion rate.

 For help calculating your MSU GPA and cumulative completion rate, click here.



How does academic warning impact me?


  • The first time a student does not meet University academic standards, (s)he will be placed on  academic warning. Students on warning need to meet University academic standards by the end of the warning term. Students who do not meet these standards will be suspended if they do not meet University standards after the warning term.
  • Students on warning who don't meet University standards after their warning term, but DO demonstrate significant progress can avoid suspension. Significant progress is defined as a 2.5 term GPA, and a 75% term credit completion rate.Students who achieve these standards will be placed on probation, and will be allowed to continue attending the University.
  • While on probation, students must continue to demonstrate progress as defined above until they achieve overall University standards.
  • Registration holds are placed on students on academic warning or probation. Students are required to participate in advising processes with the college of a student’s major or New Student & Family Programs (if a student is undecided), prior to registration for the following term. Information about this requirement will be sent to student's MavMail accounts early during the warning or probationary term.
  • Students who receive academic warnings will likely receive a financial aid warning. Financial aid can be impacted during any future terms when University requirements are not met. Information will be sent to students' MavMail accounts regarding financial aid as well.
  • Other consequences of academic warning or probation can include: last choice for registration, possible non-admittance to a program of study, and academic suspension.




How can I improve my academic situation?


To understand what steps you can take to improve your academic situation it is important to meet with an academic advisor. Advisors are available to give you concrete information specific to your situation. Undecided students can call New Student & Family Programs at 507-389-5498. Students who have selected majors should contact the college advising office listed at the bottom of this page for advising assistance.




What does the University offer students who are struggling academically?


New Student & Family Programs provides individualized advising assistance for undecided students on academic warning or probation. Advisors assist students in developing an Academic Improvement Plan (AIP). The AIP serves as a contract between the student and advisor where student’s needs and challenges are discussed and achievable goals are set. Follow-up advising appointments help students track their grades, and make plans for the future. Advisors help monitor student progress, and offer suggestions throughout the term as students' needs may change.

Advisors who have established relationships with students on warning can play a significant role in an appeal process. Advisors may be asked to write a letters of support for a student appealling financial aid or academic suspension. If a relationship between advisor and students is never established, advisors have no means to write a letter of support. 




What happens if I am academically suspended?

Students who are suspended from the University are not allowed to re-enroll until they've been academically reinstated. Typically, students will not be reinstated until they've had at least one year away from the University (unless documentable extenuating circumstances have occurred).

The Division of Academic Affairs oversees the reinstatement process. The reinstatement form, including information about required application materials and deadlines, is available on Academic Affairs' website below: