shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Type, leftmenu, syntax error on data section 8 = '{category}'
Line:*New Student and Family Programs Home[/newstudent/]^*Orientation[/newstudent/orientation/]^*First Year Seminar[/newstudent/seminar/]^*Common Read[/commonread/]^*Learning Communities[/learningcommunities/]^*Undecided Academic Advising Services[/newstudent/advising/]^*Parents & Family[/family]{category}^***Frequently Asked Questions[/newstudent/frequentlyaskedquestions.html]{selected}^{category}^*High School Enrollment Options[/newstudent/highschool.html]^*MavCARES Referral Form[/student/alert/]^*Contact Us[/newstudent/contact.html]^*Appointment Scheduling[/newstudent/apptscheduling.html]

Frequently Asked Questions

Page address:

Academicsmale student studying

When do students register for courses?

Who is my student's academic advisor/how are advisors assigned?

What are the general education requirements for graduation?

What is academic probation?

What majors and minors are offered at Minnesota State University, Mankato?

My student is doing poorly in class.  Where can they receive tutoring assistance?


Campus Involvementstudents at football game

My student says (s)he is bored.  What is there to do on campus?

My student has mentioned (s)he is interested in joining a fraternity/sorority.  Where can I find more information about these organizations?

Where are on campus jobs posted?

What opportunities are available for students to get involved?


Student Lifestudents socializing in union

How do I send mail/packages to a student living on-campus?

My student recently ended a personal relationship and is struggling.  Who can they talk to?

How can my student change residence hall rooms?

Where can I find information about renting an apartment or moving off campus?

When should my student consider studying abroad?


General Questions

Where can I find a list of important dates/academic calendar?

I need proof of my student's enrollment status for insurance reasons.  Where can I obtain on enrollment verification form?

I have a question and I don't know where to start.  Who can I contact?


Additional Resources


When do students register for courses?

Registration is the process of enrolling in courses for a term and possibly making adjustments (adding, dropping, withdrawing, changing grading method) to that schedule of classes.  Registration for classes is done via the web by securely logging into the Minnesota State web system using a tech ID and a PIN. For any given term the same basic pattern is followed:

  • Registration begins in roughly the middle of the previous term and continues through the fifth day of the term being enrolled in.
  • Registration windows are the actual times when students can begin to enroll.  Windows are controlled and are based upon students' earned credit total. Summer term registration does not utilize windows.

Click here for Information regarding course schedules and timelines for registration.

Back to top.

Who is my student's academic advisor/how are advisors assigned?

Academic advisors are assigned to all students.  Students who have declared a major are assigned to a faculty advisor in the department of their major or to the Student Relations Coordinator for the college in which their major is housed.  If a student has not declared a major they are assigned an advisor in the Office of New Student and Family Programs. Back to top.

Allied Health

Shirley Murray - 507-389-5194

Arts and Humanities

Gina Maahs - 507-389-1712


Linda Meidl - 507-389-2963


Mymique Baxter - 507-389-1215


Kasi Johnson - 507-389-6810

Office of New Student & Family Programs

Undecided - 507-389-5498

Science, Engineering and Technology

Ken Adams - 507-389-1521

Social and Behavioral Sciences

Clark Johnson - 507-389-6306

What are the general education requirements for graduation?

A total of 44 credits must to completed to satisfy the general education program at Minnesota State Mankato.  General education is made up of thirteen goal areas and two diversity requirements.  Goal areas with requirements include:

Goal Area 1: Communication; 3 credits composition, 3 credits speech and oral reasoning, and 6 writing intensive credits from different disciplines

Goal Area 2: (Optional) Critical Thinking; requires completion of general education or one course

Goal Area 3: Natural Science; 2 courses from different disciplines, 6 or more credits.  At least one course with a laboratory

Goal Area 4: Mathematical/Logical Reasoning; requires one course, 3 credits or more with a grade of at least "P" or "C"

Goal Area 5: History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences; requires 2 course from different disciplines, 6 or more credits

Goal Area 6: Humanities and Arts; requires 2 courses from different disciplines, 6 or more credits

Goal Area 7: Human Diversity; requires one course, 3 or more credits

Goal Area 8: Global Perspective; requires one course, 3 or more credits

Goal Area 9: Ethical and Civic Responsibility; requires one course, 3 or more credits

Goal Area 10: People and the Environment; requires one course, 3 or more credits

Goal Area 11: Performance and Participation; requires 2-3 credits

Goal Area 12: (Optional) New Student and Family Programs; requires 0-1 credits

Goal Area 13: (Optional) Information Technology; requires 0-1 credits

Cultural Diversity Requirement:  Students pursuing a baccalaureate degree must take at least 2 courses and a minimum of 6 credits from the list of cultural diversity courses.

[PDF] More information about general education and cultural diversity requirements. (83 KiB)

Back to top.

What is academic probation?

Students who drop below a 2.0 GPA or have less than a 67% course completion rate will be placed on academic probation.  The Office of New Student and Family Programs provides probation advising services to help undecided students to work towards good academic standing.  Students who have a declared major will need to contact their college to participate in probation advising services.

Back to top.

What majors and minors are offered at Minnesota State University Mankato?

Minnesota State Mankato offers over 160 degree programs ranging from dental hygiene to dance.  Major/minor list.

Back to top.

My student is doing poorly in class.  Where can they receive tutoring assistance?

The Center for Academic Success offers a variety of services to students who are struggling with courses.  In addition to tutoring services, the Center for Academic Success offers workshops and information on motivation, fighting procrastination, time management, study skills, test taking strategies and preparation, and much more. Back to top.

My student says they are bored.  What is there to do on campus?

No matter the day of the week or time of the year there is always something happening on campus.  Students can check out several campus websites for the latest information on lectures, contests, films and events by checking out the following sites.

Student Events Team Events - list of upcoming films/comedians/lectures and other events that are coming to campus

Campus Recreation - find information on the fitness schedule and facility hours or sign up for an intramural team

Athletic Department - find out when and where you can cheer on a Maverick athletic team

The Centennial Student Union also houses television lounges, a bowling alley, billiards tables and several arcade style games. 

Back to top.

My student has mentioned they are interested in joining a fraternity/sorority.  Where can I find more information about these organizations?

Minnesota State University Mankato recognizes 7 fraternities and 4 sororities.  About 400 students or roughly 3% of the student population participates in Greek life on campus.  The vision for the Greek community is to grow in all areas including personal, scholastic and chapter development; to better the university for all students regardless of affiliations and to achieve a higher level of unity, loyalty and respect.  Students who are interested in becoming members of the Greek community can do so by going through the formal recruitment process which takes place at the beginning of each new semester.  Click here for more information about Greek life at Minnesota State.

Back to top.

Where are on campus jobs posted?

Part-time employment can be a great way for students to earn money and gain experience for their future professional career. The MSU Career Development Center assists students in finding part-time employment in a variety of ways. is a search engine that allows access to part-time employment opportunities both on and off campus.  The Career Development Center will automatically create a account for all incoming students at the start of the semester in which they enroll.  The user id is the student's full Minnesota State Mankato email address in the form

Part Time Job Fair

Students can also attend the part time job fair in the fall semester to connect with area employers, fill out applications, and learn about jobs available in the community.  Check the Career Development Center homepage for more information. Back to top.

What opportunities are available for students to get involved?

There are several ways in which students can get involved in campus life.  Students can participate in one of hundreds of recognized student organizations ranging from honorary/professional groups to religiously based groups.  Students may also find a connection to the campus community through one of the 11 greek organizations or the dozens of intramural sports teams.  Students who are interested in serving in leadership positions may find opportunities in student government or residential life.  Back to top.

How do I send mail/packages to a student living on-campus?

Each residence hall complex has a specific address for sending mail and packages.  In order to receive mail and packages, a resident's name and complete address needs to appear on items being sent.

For Example: 

Joe College
McElroy Residence Community
430 Ellis Avenue #H-221
Mankato, MN 56001-6008


My student recently ended a personal relationship and is struggling.  Who can they talk to?

Negotiating relationships is challenging for most everyone.  If your student finds that they would like to discuss their feelings surrounding any type of relationship, the Counseling Center can help.  The Counseling Center offers free, confidential help to assist students in resolving personal, social, and educational concerns that may be interfering with their ability to succeed at Minnesota State Mankato. The Counseling Center's services include short-term counseling, educational programming, crisis intervention, consultation, national testing, and referral to outside resources to all enrolled students. Back to top.

How can my student change residence hall rooms?

 Residents are allowed to change rooms after the first 10 class days of each semester. Students who wish to change rooms or residence halls should pick up a room change request form at the main desk of any complex.

Where can I find information about renting an apartment or moving off campus?

The Student Activities Office offers information for students who are interested in living off campus.  Students can obtain information about effective ways to search for an apartment, their rights as tenants, a sample apartment condition checklist, a sample roommate agreement, and a list of apartment complexes in the Mankato area.  Back to top.

When should my student consider studying abroad?

Anytime is a good time for students to consider studying abroad.  Students can choose to participate in international short term internships, short term programs led by Minnesota State Mankato faculty, 2 to 4 week language intensive programs, or a traditional student exchange for a semester or a year.  All programs earn students course credits here at Minnesota State Mankato and additional financial aid is available to cover expenses.  For more information contact the International Programs Office.

Back to top.

 Where can I find a list of important dates/academic calendar?

Important dates can be found on the University Calendar.

Important deadlines regarding courses and registration can be found through the Registrar's Office.

Back to top.

I need proof of my student's enrollment status for insurance reasons.  Where can I obtain on enrollment verification form?

Click here for enrollment verification information.

Back to top.

I have a question and don't know where to start. Who can I contact?

If you have a question, comment or situation you need help resolving and don't know where to start, please contact the New Student and Family Programs Office.  The staff can help talk you through issues/challenges your student may be facing and help you connect them with the appropriate campus resources. 

Contact Information:
Office of New Student and Family Programs
Phone: (507) 389-5498


Additional resources

It is next to impossible to compartmentalize areas of a student's life. Family life, academics, co-curricular activities, work and personal issues are all closely intertwined. The Division of Student Affairs acknowledges the importance of addressing the whole student and has a goal of supporting student success in the classroom and the University community. Offices, including those listed below, are committed to providing a safe intellectual, psychological and physical environment for students.

Billing and Payment Information

Student Financial Services – 120 Wigley Administration Center
Campus Hub – 117 Centennial Student Union


Student account information (tuition/fees, residence hall, etc.) is obtained by logging on with the student's TechID number and PIN to Minnesota State University, Mankato's E-services web site. Fall semester charges are available in July. Paper invoices are not mailed. Postcard and e-mail notices are sent to alert students to monitor and pay account balances within the established payment due dates. Tuition and fee rate information is published on the Student Financial Services web site.

Payments are accepted online, in person or by mail. E-check or credit card payments can be made online, at the E-services web site. Cash, checks and signed credit cards are accepted for payment in person at the University Cashier's office, located at 128 Wigley Administration Center. Checks may be mailed to: University Cashier, Minnesota State University, Mankato, 128 Wigley Administration Center, Mankato, MN 56001. Checks mailed in must include the student's TechID number to ensure credit to the proper account; checks not including a student's TechID number will be returned to the sender.

A three-payment installment plan is administered during fall semester and spring semester; an installment payment plan fee is assessed each term to participating accounts.

Campus Computer Store

20 Centennial Student Union


The Campus Computer Store is a non-profit store that sells computers, software and accessories to students, faculty, and staff of Minnesota State University, Mankato at academic pricing.

The Campus Computer Store recommends that before coming to campus with a computer system, students and parents verify that the system meets the needs of the student and the campus. Some majors require a specific system such as the College of Business Laptop initiative. The sales staff will be glad to make recommendations and answer any questions parents and students may have before making a purchase.

Qualifying Customers – Only students, faculty, and staff of Minnesota State University, Mankato are eligible to purchase from the Campus Computer Store. Since we offer only educational prices, non-educational customers are not eligible to purchase from us. A valid student, faculty, or staff ID is required upon purchase. Students must be registered for classes during the current semester to be eligible.

What do we sell? – We offer Apple and Dell computers. We have accessories such as ink cartridges, ethernet cables, printer cables, printers, software, and more available for both Apple and PC's. If we don't have what you are looking for in stock, just ask us and we may be able to order the item for you depending on availability.

Campus Parking & Traffic Services

222 Wiecking Center

507-389-2111 or Campus Hub

The University has established a parking program with options ranging from close premium parking for a fee, to a distant free parking lot that is available. Bus service from the distant lots is free if you are an orange, purple, or dark green permit holder. The Red Eye Shuttle operates class-nights and Sundays when buses are not operating. 

Bus and Shuttle Schedules

Residence Hall Green Permit – Residence hall parking is divided into two zones: the Gage area zone includes Lots 1 and 3; the McElroy/Crawford zone includes Lots 13, 14, 15 and 16. If spaces are unavailable in these close-in lots, regular green permit holders are to park in Lot 20a. Green permit holders may park only in the zone designated on their permit. Enforcement coverage occurs the first Monday of the academic year through the last Friday of the academic year.

Discount residence hall parking – Permit holders park in Lot 20a, or Lot 21, should Lot 20a be full. It is recommended that residents check their vehicles every 24 hours. There are buses, as well as a Red Eye Shuttle that runs from Lot 20a to residence halls. Discount green permit holders are provided a keychain tag that allows them to ride free any bus or the Red Eye Shuttle to and from Lot 20a. One-day visitor parking permits for non-university student guests are available from the main desks of each complex.

If you have a question about parking, feel free to call the Campus Hub (389-1866) or Parking & Traffic Services (389-2111).

Career Development Center

209 Wigley Administration Center


The Career Development Center (CDC) assists students in exploring academic majors, learning about careers and refining skills used in seeking internships and employment. Students who are in the process of determining academic majors can attend sponsored events, utilize career assessment instruments and schedule individual appointments with staff. The Career Resource Library, within the CDC, includes hundreds of books and a wide range of material for students to use when selecting careers, identifying academic majors or enhancing job search skills. Student's are welcome to viisit for part-time employment, internships or full-time employment opportunities.

Center for Academic Success

132 Memorial Library


What we do: The Center for Academic Success is the primary academic support resource on campus. The Center provides individual and small-group tutoring in virtually all academic subjects. In addition, we provide writing and English as a second language (ESL) assistance, academic strategies for success, and preparation for the PPST exam. Tutoring is free for all Minnesota State University, Mankato students. We DO NOT do homework, but we DO guide students to help themselves. We are here to empower students to become better independent learners.

Subjects we tutor: The Center for Academic Success provides assistance in most 100 and 200 level subject areas, concentrating on general education courses plus specified Biology, Chemistry, and Accounting courses.

How to get a tutor: Tutoring in Accounting, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Writing, and ESL is done on a walk-in basis only. Students may request tutoring in other subjects by going to the Center for Academic Success web site and clicking on the Sign-up Online icon.

When we tutor: Generally, tutoring hours are Monday–Wednesday 9 a.m.–8 p.m. and Thursday 9 a.m.– 4 p.m., Friday 9 a.m.–3 p.m. Stop in the Center for Academic Success' office to pick up schedules listing specific hours for walk-in tutoring. Be sure to check the Center's website for any changes/updates concerning hours.

Counseling Center

245 Centennial Student Union


The Counseling Center provides free, short-term confidential counseling to help enrolled students cope with personal, social, and educational concerns that may be interfering with their ability to be successful at Minnesota State. Typical issues that students explore include relationships, stress, anxiety, depression, grief and loss, self-esteem and time management. Appointments are required. The Counseling Center also serves as the University's testing center. Students seeking information about registration for and administration of the CLEP, LSAT, GRE, MAT, GMAT, ACT, PRAXIS and other exams should contact the Counseling Center.

Dental Hygiene Clinic

3 Morris Hall


Through the Dental Hygiene Program, Minnesota State has an on-campus Dental Hygiene Clinic. The Clinic offers limited dental care (cleaning, X-rays, fluoride treatment, exams, bleaching and sealants) for a modest fee. The Dental Clinic accepts all forms of dental insurance including Medical Assistance, Doral Dental and Delta Dental of Minnesota.

Financial Aid Information

Student Financial Services – 120 Wigley Administration Center
Campus Hub – 117 Centennial Student Union


Financial aid consists of grants, scholarships, work-study employment, and student loans. Students who wish to apply for financial aid can do so as early as January 1 prior to the start of fall semester each year. The application can be completed online each year at the FAFSA web site. The school code for Minnesota State University, Mankato is 002360.

New and returning students are encouraged to apply as early as possible each year. March 15 is an established priority application date for certain types of financial aid programs that must be allocated by the campus to students meeting stated eligibility requirements.

Financial aid awards can be viewed by logging on with the student's TechID number and PIN to Minnesota State University, Mankato's E-services web site. Financial aid program information is also published on the Student Financial Services web site.

Individual assistance with financial aid questions is provided at the Campus Hub, located on the main level of the Centennial Student Union. Advising appointments are also scheduled through the Campus Hub.

Health Education

100 Carkoski Commons


Health Educators, Graduate Interns and Peer Educators provide information on nutrition, stress management, weight control, birth control, pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases, alcohol, drug use and abuse and a host of other health education topics.

Intercollegiate Athletics

135 Myers Field House


The Minnesota State University, Mankato Mavericks compete at the NCAA Division II level in the North Central Conference, except for men's and women's hockey programs are NCAA Division I members of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association. Visit the official MSU Athletics web site for more information.

Men's Program Women's Program
Baseball Basketball
Basketball Bowling
Cross Country Cross Country
Football Golf
Golf Hockey
Hockey Soccer
Swimming Softball
Tennis Swimming
Track Tennis
Wrestling Track

International Programs Office

238 Centennial Student Union


The International Programs Office is designed as a resource center to help students research and participate in international activities such as study, internship, volunteer service, or work abroad. Minnesota State University, Mankato currently sponsors several study tours and six on-going study abroad programs in locations such as France, England, Sweden, Finland, Mexico, Ecuador and Spain. It is also possible to participate in a program sponsored by another university or agency. The staff of the International Programs Office can help with all aspects of academic travel, including credit transfer, course selection, use of financial aid, researching scholarships, travel discounts, insurance and offers a pre-departure orientation. Go global at the International Programs web site.

International Student & Scholar Services

219B Centennial Student Union


The International Student & Scholar Services offers advising on visa, immigration, cultural adjustment and academic issues for international students. The office also coordinates international social/cultural activities, including intercultural programs for the entire campus community. The International Student & Scholar Services can also be contacted via e-mail at

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Center

173 Centennial Student Union


The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Center (LGBTC) provides programming, support, advocacy, and information to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students and their allies enrolled at Minnesota State University, Mankato. Additionally, the center provides educational programming to the University community through the provision of resource information, as well as classroom presentations that encourage understanding, tolerance, and respect for diversity among individuals. For more information, call the LGBTC at 389-5131 or e-mail

MavCARD Office

117 Centennial Student Union

Your Minnesota State University, Mankato MavCARD means access to cash, University dining, Barnes and Noble on campus, vending library services, Visitors' Paylot, campus recreation and more.


Your MavCARD serves as your official student indentification card, on and off campus, for as long as you're enrolled at Minnesota State University, Mankato.

On-Campus Vending

MavCASH is a prepaid, stored-value account for use with vending machines, photocopy machines, campus printing and all food services on campus. MavCASH is online! Check your balance 24/7 at the MavCARDs Office website. Family and friends can add MavCASH for you online. All they need is your name and 16 digit number from the front of your card. You can also add money to your MavCASH account at the MavCARD office or at any of the three Cash Management Stations on campus. One is located in the Centennial Student Union near Ostrander's Auditorium, one is located in Wiecking Center near the Wiecking Auditorium and one is on the first floor of Memorial Library. MavCASH is separate from your Wells Fargo account.

Campus Services and Events

The wireless antenna inside your MavCARD works with wiresless door access points on campus. Residence Hall students in McElroy, Julia Sears and Crawford complexes have exterior door access. Campus Recreation uses door access to allow admittance to their facilities. Other departments across campus utilize the door access feature as well. The barcode on the back allows you to check out books and materials from Memorial Library and gain pre-paid admission to home Maverick Athletics and Student Activities events.

Banking Convenience

The University has teamed up with Wells Fargo so you can use your MavCARD as an optional ATM/PIN debit card, when you link your MavCARD to a Wells Fargo College Checking account

For Additional Information, visit the MavCARD Office web site.

Multicultural Affairs

243 Centennial Student Union


The Office of Multicultural Affairs is open to all students and promotes cross-cultural interactions between ethnic and cultural groups on campus. To ensure that information on history and the culture of various groups is accessible and a part of all student's, faculty and staff's education at Minnesota State University, Mankato. The Office of Multicultural Affairs assists the University in developing and implementing cultural programs and activities on campus and in the community at large. Direct services provided to students of color or any Minnesota State University, Mankato student, include, but are not limited to financial aid, personal and academic counseling, mentoring, academic advocating, referral, and tutorial services.

Nontraditional Student Program

218 Centennial Student Union


It is our mission to build a strong and supportive community for nontraditional and parent students within the university community in order to enrich the educational experience and to help ensure success for all adult students. Visit the Nontraditional Student Program web site for more information.

You might identify as a nontraditional student if you are:

  • an undergraduate student 24 years or older;
  • a student who is also a parent;
  • a student who is married, partnered, widowed or divorced;
  • entering or returning to college any time other than immediately following high school;
  • or a veteran.

Through our programs and services you will find a peer group, access to many campus resources, programming geared at nontraditional students, parenting resources and a welcoming space to serve as a hub for your Minnesota State University, Mankato experience. Our membership is comprised of nontraditional students, both women and men, who have the desire to strengthen our community and are committed to reaching out to others who share our life experiences. We work in collaboration with are located in the Women's Center. Anyone who is a nontraditional student is invited to join us!

Office of Campus Recreation

118 Myers Field House


What programs are offered?
The Office of Campus Recreation at Minnesota State University, Mankato offers four major program areas: Open Recreation, Intramural Sports, Fitness Activities, and Sport Clubs. Currently enrolled students, faculty and staff are eligible to participate in the above mentioned programs.

The Open Recreation program offers both indoor and outdoor facilities for leisure time activity daily. Indoor facilities include: newly remodeled Otto Recreation Center with three basketball/volleyball courts, a weight room, a 3-lane walking/jogging track and a cardio area; remodeled locker rooms attached to the pool; Myer's Field House with an 8-lane 200 meter indoor track with four basketball, volleyball, tennis and badminton courts on the infield; Schellberg Gym with two basketball/volleyball courts; two aerobic, dance and martial art multi-purpose wood floor studios; a new matted martial arts/wrestling multi-purpose room; four remodeled racquetball courts; a remodeled 25 yard, six-lane swimming pool. Outdoor facilities include: four softball/flag football fields; a soccer field; a lacrosse field; a rugby pitch; sand volleyball courts; and six tennis courts. Equipment is available to be checked out with a current Minnesota State University, Mankato MavCard and includes: basketballs, volleyballs and standards, soccer balls, softball equipment, footballs and flag football equipment, floor hockey and broomball equipment, weight belts, racquetball equipment, tennis equipment, badminton equipment, jump ropes, frisbees, wallyball equipment and more.

The Intramural Sports program offers organized, competitive leagues, tournaments and special events. The following is a list of some of the offerings: flag football; 3-on-3 and 5-on-5 basketball; slow pitch softball; volleyball; sand volleyball; indoor soccer; ice hockey; broomball; bowling; 8-ball and 9-ball pool; punt, pass & kick; football pick-em; golf; racquetball singles; hot shot contest; NCAA holiday football bowl pick-em; foosball doubles; tennis singles; free throw contest; darts; table tennis singles and doubles; sports trivia; NCAA basketball tourney pick-em and more.

The Fitness Activities program offers individuals the opportunity for personal fitness through both the aerobics program and use of the fitness center. Aerobics classes include: total body conditioning, yoga, pilates, step, cardio boxing, cardio ball, jazzercize, kick abs, body pumping, body sculpting, water aerobics and more. The fitness center offers both cardiovascular and weight training opportunities which include: treadmills, elliptical machines, stair machines, exercise bikes, crossrobics machines, variable resistance selectorized weight equipment, free weights and more.

The Sport Clubs program offers a unique experience for students and student leaders to participate or compete in local, regional and national competition. Current sport clubs include: aikido, badminton, men's baseball, competitive cheer/stunting, cricket, fencing, men's ice hockey, isshin-ryu self defense, judo, men's lacrosse, paintball, men's and women's rugby, shotokan karate, men's soccer, tae kwon do, ultimate frisbee, and men's and women's volleyball. New sport clubs can be started with some interest from other students.

Are there student employment opportunities in Campus Recreation?
Campus Recreation hires graduate assistants to help coordinate the different programs, allowing them to gain valuable educational experiences inside and outside of the classroom, preparing them for careers in recreation. GA's receive a monthly stipend and full tuition waiver during their contract period, usually lasting two years. Graduate degrees exist in sports management, sports psychology, exercise physiology, preventative and rehabilitative cardiovascular health, developmental/adapted physical education, elementary/secondary physical education and experiential education.

Employment opportunities also exist for currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students in Campus Recreation in the following areas: facility managers, ID checkers, weight room and cardio area supervisors, intramural sports supervisors and officials, office aides, equipment check-out personnel, aerobics instructors, lifeguards and water safety instructors.

For more information about Campus Recreation and the facilities, programs and services offered and how to get involved, contact:

Office of Campus Recreation
Minnesota State University, Mankato
135 Myers Field House
Mankato, MN 56001
507-389-5393 (fax)
800-627-3529 or 711 (MRS/TTY)

Accessibility Resources

132 Memorial Library


Minnesota State University, Mankato provides students with disabilities reasonable accommodation to participate in educational programs, activities or services. Students with disabilities requiring accommodation to participate in class activities or meet course requirements should first register with Accessibility Resources and then contact their professors.

What does Accessibility Resources Do?
Accessibility Resources coordinates accommodations for students with disabilities, houses the required documentation of disability for students, provides verification of disability for faculty, and provides direct service to students such as taped textbooks, note takers, interpreters, technology access, and acts as a liaison to other offices.

Who is considered to be a person with a disability?
Under federal law "an individual with a disability" is a person who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. Major life activities include caring for one self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, breathing, learning, and working.

What should I do if I want to receive accommodations?

  1. Self-Identify – Students with disabilities are not required to report or identify themselves to Accessibility Resources unless they desire to request academic accommodations or services. All information, correspondence and records are kept confidential.
  2. Documentation – Students must provide Accessibility Resources with recent documentation of their disability before an accommodation plan can be written. Recent documentation is generally considered within the last three years. Documentation must be from a professional in the area of the disability.
  3. Accommodation Plan Development – once appropriate documentation is on file, the student and the Accessibility Resources Director meet to develop an accommodation plan specific to the needs of the individual student.

Office of Institutional Diversity

265 Morris Hall


The Office of Institutional Diversity enjoys a long history, since 1970, of providing and/or supporting academic and social-cultural programs at Minnesota State University, Mankato. The primary goal of the program is to create and maintain an environment that promotes cross-cultural understanding and appreciation for the entire University community. The program sponsors the Pan African Student Leadership Conference, Latino Conference, Asian American Symposium, American Indian Awareness Week, Cambodian, Hmong, Lao and Vietnamese culture celebrations as well as music and literature events on campus.

The Office of Institutional Diversity houses the University's Intercultural Student Center which provides a location for ethnic student organizations and individuals to meet on a formal or informal basis. This facility is widely used by all ethnic groups and is a major force in promoting integration and positive cross-cultural relationships.

The Office of Institutional Diversity maintains the Office of Multicultural Affairs which has four assistant directors representing Hispanic-Latino American, African American, American Indian and Asian American groups. This office is the primary service at Minnesota State University, Mankato providing direct services to students of color and new immigrants from Somalia, Sudan and other places.

The Office of Institutional Diversity houses the National Student Exchange program. Students may study up to one year at any of the 177 schools participating in the program while paying tuition at Minnesota State University, Mankato. Students participate in the program for a variety of reasons – to broaden personal and educational perspectives, explore and appreciate new cultures, take courses not offered at Minnesota State University, Mankato and learn from different professors, etc.

Office of the Registrar

132 Wigley Administration Center


Minnesota State University, Mankato no longer mails grade reports at the end of each term. Instead, students can use the web to view/print their grades. The location for viewing grades is the same as that for registering on the web. After your student has logged in with their TechID and PIN, press the Student Button. Then use Select Year/Term option at the top of the page to set the appropriate term. Finally, select the Term Grades option to view grades. Grades are not fully posted until one week after the end of the term. Grades are only released to a third party upon request if the student has signed a release authorizing the third party to receive the grades.

Information regarding course offerings and registration can be found at the Registrar's Office. Course offerings can also be viewed on the Class Schedule page.

Residential Life

111 Carkoski Commons


Students who live in the residence halls become a part of a vibrant, active community. On-campus residents generally perform better academically, and are more likely to graduate than their counterparts who live off-campus. Several common interest floors are available to students and all students can benefit from social, educational, and academic programs organized by Residential Life staff.

Community Advisors (CAs) are student paraprofessional staff members who reside on each floor to serve as a resource and role-model to the residents of the floor. In Maverick Hall, a building for first-year students, one CA lives on each floor, along with a student academic mentor. Each complex also has a graduate level staff, Assistant Complex Directors (ACDs), as well as a full-time professional Complex Director.

For Additional Information regarding meal plans, housing available during breaks, or other details about life in the residence halls, please call the Office of Residential Life at the above phone number.

Student Health Services

21 Carkoski Commons


Student Health Services is staffed with physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, laboratory technicians, pharmacists, health educators, and office personnel. Services are available each weekday school is in session including summer sessions. Individuals must be enrolled to use the clinic. Medical services available at Student Health Service include care for acute and chronic medical treatment, preventative services, laboratory, pharmacy and referral as needed. Students are encouraged to make appointments, to be seen in a more timely manner. Walk-in patients will be treated based on emergency needs and availability.

Student Activities

173 Centennial Student Union


Student Leadership Development & Service Learning offers opportunities for student involvement in campus life through co-curricular activities including the Student Events Team Campus Activities Board, fraternities or sororities, religious clubs, departmental organizations, or through involvement in volunteer and service opportunities on campus and in the community.

There are over 200 student organizations on campus. Students interested in joining a club or developing a sense of belonging through co-curricular activity should contact our office or stop by CSU 173 to speak with one of the staff.

Our Mission: To help students develop a sense of pride and school spirit while bringing soul to the University community through a diverse offering of quality programs and activities. We foster a creative learning environment that enables individuals to engage in personal growth and development.

Students can get involved in any of the following programs:

  • Service Projects throughout the community
  • Break for America - Service Trip
  • Jumpstart - A National Service Children's Literacy Program
  • AmeriCorps - National Service Program
  • Student Events Team - Campus Programming Board- Concerts, Lectures, Films, Event Weeks, etc.
  • 7 National Fraternities and 4 National Sororities
  • LGBT Center - Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Center

Off campus housing assists students with finding available housing, finding roommates or sub leasers. Additionally, the off campus housing maintains information about off-campus living and renter/landlord rights and responsibilities. A Ride Board is located outside for students who are seeking a ride home for the weekend, or would like someone to split the gas money for their weekend trip.

Students Rights and Responsibilities

336 Wigley Administration Center


Each student is responsible for knowing and adhering to the University Policies. It is recommended that you take some time with your student discussing the policies and the expectations you have of your student while they are at the institution. We highly recommend discussing the Alcohol and Drug policies, Academic Honesty, computer usage policy and the Residential Life policies. As a family member the university will not notify you of any violations your student may have on record. Please take a look at the University Policies on our web site and click on the publication.

University Security

222 Wiecking Center


Staffed 24 hours a day, every day of the year, our dedicated staff is here to assist you with emergencies any time of the day or night. The Security Department is an integral part of the campus community and assists in the personal safety of all members and guests, the security of buildings and property; and maintaining the lost and found program. In addition, Security provides Safety Education and Crime Prevention programming, a walking Campus Escort Service and has Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT's) available to respond to medical emergencies during the regular school year.

Minnesota State University, Mankato Security maintains a recorded Personal Safety Hotline (389-2594) which offers personal safety tips, and any up-to-date information regarding current security issues on campus – this same information, in addition to a variety of other services and resources, is available at Security's website.

Women's Center

218 Centennial Student Union


Women's Center, Assault
The Mission of the Women's Center is to foster a healthy, safe and engaging campus community by enabling the full and active participation of women students in both their personal and educational pursuits at Minnesota State University, Mankato. The Women's Center provides programs, connections, advocacy, service and leadership opportunities for all Minnesota State University, Mankato students.

Three main services students can find in the Women's Center are:

  • Sexual violence resources. Survivors and concerned others can find caring help, empowering prevention work and access to related local and global agencies. Included in the category of sexual violence are: sexual assault, domestic abuse, relationship violence, date rape and incest.
  • Nontraditional student services. You might identify as a nontraditional student if you are: an undergraduate student 24 years or older; a student who is also a parent, married, widowed or divorced; entering or returning to college any time other than immediately following high school; or a veteran. Through the Women's Center you will find a peer group, access to many campus resources, programming geared at nontraditional students, parenting resources and a welcoming space to serve as a hub for your Minnesota State University, Mankato experience.
  • General advocacy and support. We offer non-therapeutic help or appropriate referrals for any and all student issues. We specialize with eating issues, body image, self esteem, assertiveness, recognizing and confronting sexism, developing leadership skills and we address countless other issues.

In addition, staff members at the Women's Center are available to present programs and facilitate workshops for campus organizations or classes. All students are encouraged to visit the Women's Center to find out more about our programs, services, and staff.