Page address: https://www.mnsu.edu/parking/tips.html
- "Early Bird" payment option, any "No Gold Permit" $25 citation paid within four working days will be charged out at $20, and any $15 citation paid within four working days will be charged out at $12.
- Lack of space is not considered a valid excuse for disregarding the parking rules.
- Parking over parking stall lines because of other illegally parked vehicles is not considered a valid excuse to violate parking guidelines. Vehicles parked over stall lines are subject to a parking citation and/or auto clamp/tow (auto clamp fee at least $40; tow fees vary).
Enforcement & Coverage
Reserved Gold permit stalls are enforced year round Monday through Thursday, 6:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and on Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Handicap Parking Stalls are enforced 24 hours a day year round. A fine of $200 will be issued to those illegally parked in handicap stalls. ("Early-bird" payment of $150 if paid within four days. Appealed citations lose the right to the "Early-bird" payment option. Payment plans may be arranged with the Office of Business Affairs.)
- Facilities Management/Vendor Permit parking stalls, Reserved stalls, as well as yellow curbs and red fire lanes are enforced 24 hours a day year round.
- General Purple permit stalls are enforced Monday through Thursday, 6:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), August through June. You can become a Nighttime Gold permit holder by going the The Hub (SU 117) and for $20 buy either a Fall Semester or Spring Semester Gold permit - the Nighttime Gold permit allows you to park in a Gold permit stall after 4 pm on weekdays.
- Nighttime Purple permits allow parking from 4:00 p.m. to 2 a.m. in Purple permit stalls, Monday through Friday.
- Residence Hall Green permit stalls are enforced 24 hours beginning Sunday at 6:00 p.m. through Friday 12 noon
- Once a parking meter or timed parking stall expires you are subject to a parking citation regardless of how long the time has been expired.
- Meters are programmed for 30 minute maximum.
- Meters will only accept quarters.
- Free parking is available in Lots 20 through Lot 23 on Saturdays and Sundays. However, you cannot park overnight and must be out of the lots between 2 A.M. and 6 a.m. Lot 20a, which is the Residence Hall Discount lot, is available overnight to Lot 20a permit holders and those who have proper temporary permits (Exception: Brown permit holders parked in the Brown permit are on Lot 22).
- For emergency parking situations short term exceptions to parking regulations may be obtained from University Security providing the individual notifies Security of their emergency immediately at 389-2111.
- Using emergency flashers does not allow anyone to illegally park their vehicle - especially in handicap stalls, Facilities Management/Vendor stalls, fire lanes, yellow curbs, etc.
- Slow down. Do not speed. The speed limit in the parking lots is 5 mph and on streets it is no more than 30 mph. Remember that pedestrians have the right of way. Parking on the grass, sidewalk, and crosswalk may result in a parking citation and/or auto clamp (auto clamp fee at least $40).
- Permit holders who forget to display their permit may receive up to two dismissals for "no permit properly displayed", contact Campus Hub (SU 117; #1866). Dismissals may be obtained only during the first 7 working days after receiving the citation. Any citation(s) that have been sent to term billing is ineligible for dismissal.
- Green permits only for Residence Hall renters.
- Residence Hall Green permit holders who no longer reside in the Residence Halls and fail to return their Residence Hall Green permit will receive a $75 fine and/or auto clamp (auto clamp fee of at least $40). A prorated refund is available within the first 10 days of Fall and Spring semester.
- Students who use their Residence Hall status to purchase a Residence Hall Green permit for non-Residence Hall students will receive a $75 parking citation and/or auto clamp (auto clamp fee of at least $40).
- Residence Hall students: remember you are responsible for obtaining a parking permit or parking information for your visitors. Residence Hall Guest yellow permits and information are available at Residence Hall front desks.
- Residence Hall students bringing their car to campus for a short period of time may obtain a temporary permit for $5 per week from the Cashier's Office.
State vehicle parking on MSU Campus
- MSU state vehicles may park in General Purple permit stalls. State vehicles (non MSU) may park in Reserved Gold or General Purple permit stalls.