shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Incomplete Grades

Page address:

The grade of “Incomplete” is reserved for special cases and means that, because of extenuating circumstances, the student failed to meet an important requirement of the course, but has in other respects done passing work for the semester.

  • A student and instructor must have a signed “Incomplete Contract” stating the assigned grade for the course is “I”. The form is located at
  • Completion of course requirements must occur by the end of the following semester unless the instructor sets a shorter time limit. For courses in Spring semester, the following semester is Fall. A grade of “I” automatically changes to “F” or “NC” at the end of that following semester if no other grade is assigned. The “F” or “NC” grade depends on the grading method the student chose at the time of registration.
  • The instructor may require the student to attend the same course in a subsequent term in order to complete the “important requirement of the course that need to be completed to determine the final assigned grade.” In no other instances is a student allowed to attend a course without registering for it.
  • Students completing an Incomplete should not re-register for the same class. Students completing an Incomplete cannot use these credits for enrollment or financial aid purposes in subsequent terms.
  • Incomplete grades count as credits attempted but not as credits earned.
  • All Incompletes must have a grade posted before a degree will be awarded.
  • Graduate Students-Completing the work for a grade of “I” is not considered to be enrollment for purposes of the Graduate student enrollment policy that graduate students enroll for at least one credit during the semester of graduation.

When an Incomplete grade is completed, the instructor submits the updated grade via E-Services/Class Management/Change Grade. For additional information on changing grades, go to

For more information on the grading policy, go to

Questions concerning incomplete grades should be directed to

room:  WA 132; phone:  389-2577