Grade Posting PracticesPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/requestsforinfo/private/grades.html
Posting of grades may occur if student privacy is protected in accordance with the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act.
Recommended grade posting practices
- Post grades according to numbers randomly assigned to students in an order that is not alphabetical by name.
- Post grades in sequence according to the number printed on the test or essay booklet given to each student.
- Post grades in numerical sequence according to a number randomly selected by each student or by a private pseudo name selected by each student.
Acceptable grade posting practices
- Post grades according to the last 2-3 digits of the student identification number listed on the grade roster in an order that it not alphabetical by name. (If the class is very small, it is better to use a method other than partial student identification numbers.)
Practices not allowed by law even with a students' written permission
- Posting grades by student names or initials.
- Posting grades by full social security number.
- Posting grades by full MSU student identification (file) number.
- Posting grades by full Minnesota State tech identification number.
Students may be notified of grades by other means, e.g., email and Web posting, as long as student identifying information is strictly protected.
Graded tests or papers may not be placed in open mail boxes or left in the open for students in an office or hallway. Students should be advised to pick up materials during the instructor's office hours by a specified deadline or to leave a self-addressed, stamped envelope for return by mail.
For more information on grade posting practices, contact The Office of the Registrar at 507-389-6266.