Data Privacy ToolboxPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/requestsforinfo/toolbox/
Four Step Approach to Data Practices Requests
Contact DeeAnn Snaza or call 507-389-2015 for assistance.
Questions to ask in determining response
What is requested?
- Is it data? (If the data does not exist, there is no need to create it.)
- Is it government data?
- If the answer to the above questions is "yes", then:
What is classification of data?
- Type (e.g., personnel, educational, investigative, etc.)
- Accessibility (e.g., public, private, confidential, etc.)
- If the data is Public – immediate access if possible, or within "reasonable" time.
See form Request for Public Information.
What if the requested data is private, not public?
- Identify who is requesting
- If the requestor is the subject of the data, access is within 10 days
- Others have no access without the written consent of the subject unless otherwise authorized:
- School official with legitimate educational interests
- Subpoena/Court order
- Health or safety emergency
- Other legal authority (e.g., INS)
- Others as authorized in the Minnesota State University, Mankato Policy on Student Records
Are there procedures needed before release?
- Redacting out private data on others
- Completion of receipt of information form
- Warning against re-disclosure
- Maintain records of 3d party requests/disclosures of student data
- Prior notice to student of subpoena/court order compliance
Access is free. If copies or other services are requested, check the schedule of charges.
|Government Data||All data collected, created, received, maintained, or disseminated regardless of its physical form, storage media or conditions of use||Public, unless the law says it is not public||Depends upon classification|
|Educational Data or Records||*Directly related to a student (includes former students and applicants)
*Maintained by an educational institution or agency or a party acting for the institution or agency
Not: Desk drawer notes, law enforcement records, employment records (not work study), treatment records, former student records (alumni information)
|Private||To student, by consent [13 exceptions]|
|Directory Information||*Information not generally considered harmful or invasion of privacy if disclosed, e.g. address
*Identified by institution with notice to student
*Student does not object
|Public, unless student objects||Access, unless student objects|
|Personnel Data||Data on individuals collected because the individual is or was an employee or an applicant for employment by, performs services on a voluntary basis for, or acts as an independent contractor with the state agency||Part public, part private||Depends on classification|