Winter BreakPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/reslife/housing/current/winter/winter_break.html
The Residence Communities Close on December 9, 2016
During Winter Break most of our students leave campus and return home to their families or make other travel arrangements. Food service ends at 1:30 p.m. and all of our residence communities close down and lock for Winter Break at 7 p.m on Friday, December 9. During Winter Break students are not allowed access to the residence communities unless prior arrangements have been made with the Department of Residential Life.
To ensure the safety and security of our facilities, staff members will be checking every student's room during closing procedures. If a policy violation is observed while staff are securing the building, staff will document the violation and follow-up will take place when the student returns for the Spring Semester.
Any student found staying in the residence communities during Winter Break who did not register will be charged for the full rate plus an administrative fee and may be subject to disciplinary proceedings.
The residence communities will reopen at 8 a.m. on Friday, January 6, 2017 for the Spring Semester.
Leaving for Winter Break
If you are leaving campus for Winter Break, check out this link for helpful reminders and information!
Registering for Winter Break Housing
Students who are returning to MSU for the Spring Semester are eligible to register for Winter Break Housing. Students who register for Winter Break Housing stay in their own room during the break period.
- The dining hall closes at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, December 9.
- There is no food service provided during Winter Break (the dining center and onsite convenience stores, including 1872 Grill and Chet's Place will be closed). Mav Ave in the CSU will be open limited hours during break.
- Students who register by December 2 will pay a $385 Early Bird rate.
- Students who register after December 2 will pay a $435 rate.
- Students living at Stadium Heights can stay in their room for Winter Break for no additional charge if they sign up by December 2. After this date, Stadium Heights students who sign up for Winter Break Housing will pay a rate of $50.
- Only students who have registered for Winter Break Housing are eligible to park their cars on campus during Winter Break. Unregistered cars may be subject to towing.
- All registered students who live on the main campus should park in Lots 14 or 16. Stadium Heights residents may keep their cars in the parking lots in front of Buildings 701 and 705.
- Registration for Winter Break Housing begins on Monday, November 7 in the Residential Life Office (111 Carkoski Commons).
- Students living at Stadium Heights may register in the Residential Life Office or at the Stadium Heights Office.
- If you plan to have a vehicle on campus while you stay over Winter Break, please bring the license plate number from your vehicle when you stop in to register.
Late Stay Exceptions
If you are participating in graduation events or would like to request an exception to stay in the residence halls past our closing date and time, please submit a Late Check-Out Request. Late Stay Exceptions are granted at the discretion of the Area Director in each residence community.
Take Your Car With You
If you are going home over Winter Break, you must take your car with you or find other parking arrangements. Unregistered cars may be subject to towing during the break period.
Apartment/Suite Residents: Get Ready for Winter Bathroom Inspections
Students living in suites and apartments can avoid potential cleaning charges by having bathrooms ready for Winter Break inspections. Bathrooms that do not meet the inspection guidelines will be cleaned by custodial staff and roommates will be held jointly responsible for cleaning charges. Watch your Residential Life Newsletter and floor signs for cleaning tips and inspection schedules.