shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Facilities, Services, and Maintenance

Page address:

Facilities                        Services                          Maintenance (MR)

Community Bathrooms

Community Bathrooms are found on Crawford, McElroy and Preska I Hall floors.  Community Bathrooms are locked at all times and are to be used by men-only or women-only (as posted). Utilizing a bathroom of the opposite gender is considered misuse of University facilities. Public restrooms are available in each lobby.

Community Bathroom diagram   We provide this diagram as Community Bathrooms are not shown on campus tours in order to respect the privacy of our residents.

Bicycle Storage

Bicycle racks are located near the entrances to each residence community. In addition, bicycles may be kept in student rooms but not stored in hallways, laundry facilities, lounges or floor kitchens. Students will be held responsible for any damage caused by their bicycles; therefore, exercise caution in bringing them into buildings. The University assumes no responsibility for the theft of or damage to, any personal property (this includes bicycles). Bicycles left at the end of the academic year will be considered abandoned property and will be removed by University Security.

Carkoski Commons

Carkoski Commons connects Crawford, McElroy and Preska Residence Communities and houses the Residential Life Office, Chet's Place, Student Health Services, Health Education, ResTech Services, and Computer Lab. The RHA and NRHH offices are also located in this building. More information.


Crawford, Julia Sears, McElroy and Preska Residence Communities have elevators essential to the operation of the residence halls.  Misuse is strictly prohibited and disciplinary action will be taken against anyone misusing an elevator.  A malfunctioning elevator should be reported immediately to the Front Desk.  If stranded in an elevator, do not climb out.  Use the emergency alarm or telephone to request assistance from University personnel.

Ice Machines

Ice machines are located in Crawford, McElroy, Julia Sears and Preska Residence Communities. There is no additional charge for ice.


Food can be prepared in the air-conditioned kitchen on every floor in Crawford, McElroy, Julia Sears and Preska. Floor kitchen amenities include a sink, microwave, stove/oven, table and chairs. Stadium Heights kitchens include a sink, stove/oven, dishwasher and seating.  More information.


Washer and dryer use is included in your room and board rate. Manufacturers recommend the use of liquid "he" approved detergent for our equipment.  3-in-1 detergent-softeners are strongly discouraged as they will make the machine malfunction.

Washers and dryers are available in the following locations:

  • Crawford: Lower-level laundry room
  • Julia Sears: On each floor
  • McElroy: Lower-level laundry room and on each floor
  • Preska: Lower-level laundry room and on each floor
  • Stadium Heights: Third-floor laundry room (in Building 705 it's located on the 1st floor)

More about laundry, how to access, how to request maintenance and additional information. 


There is an air-conditioned lounge on every floor in Crawford, McElroy, Julia Sears, and Preska.  Lounge amenities include chairs, couches, tables and chairs, and a white board. More information.

Motorcycle Storage

Motorized bicycles, mopeds, or other motorized vehicles are not allowed in the residence halls. A personal assistive mobility device (e.g. motorized wheelchair, Segway, etc.) may only be used in order to accommodate a disability, on University business, or to be moved directly to and from storage or recharging areas. Outdoor parking is available on a limited basis in designated areas.


Residents of Crawford, McElroy, Julia Sears and Preska:
Motor vehicles may be parked in designated University parking areas after being officially registered with the University. Permits may be obtained at the Cashier's Office (128 Wigley Administration). Students are not permitted to plug their automobile into any residence hall room or outside building outlets.  Residents should purchase Green permits to park their cars in designated lots.

One-day visitor parking permits for guests who are not Minnesota State Mankato students are available from the Front Desk of Crawford, Julia Sears, McElroy and Preska.

Residents of Stadium Heights:
Motor vehicles with a Stadium Heights parking permit may be parked in designated parking areas on the Stadium Heights property. Residents of Stadium Heights may request a permit through the Property Owner's Office. Students are not permitted to plug in their automobile to any Stadium Heights indoor or outdoor building outlet. Information about guest parking at Stadium Heights is available from the Property Owner's Office.

Residents leaving Stadium Heights must return their Stadium Heights permit to the Property Owner's Office. Residents moving to Stadium Heights are required to return their Green permit to the Cashier's office (if applicable). A prorated refund will be issued.

More information including Parking Rates and Shuttle Services.


All University-owned furnishings must remain in the assigned student space. The Department of Residential Life does not provide storage space outside your room for personal belongings. Off-campus storage of University property is prohibited.

Bike Repair Stations

A free standing bike repair station is located between Preska Residence Community and Carkoski Commons. It has all of the tools needed for basic bicycle repair, including air pumps.  Bicycle repair stations across campus are accessible 24 hours per day.  More information. [PDF] Bike Repair Pole Detailed Description (176 KiB)


Charter Communications has converted to a digital broadcast signal in the residence halls. A TV with a Clear QAM tuner is required to receive the digital signal. If the TV was manufactured in 2006 or before, you may need to verify if it has the Clear QAM tuner.

  1. Make sure you have connected the TV properly.
  2.  Navigate through the menus correctly to run a Scan for channels on your particular model of TV.
  3.  If you receive 2 channels (HBO and Cinemax) your TV is NOT a digital TV.

There are TVs without a QAM tuner, such as Element, RCA, Westinghouse, Seiki, and Hysense. A good place to check specifications is CNET. com. We've found that the external tuner "Iveiw3500stbii" works well with our QAM cable system. If a converter box is required, you can purchase a tuner at most electronics stores. The tuner must be Clear QAM capable. Online price are approximately $38.00. More information.

Convenience Items

Grilled, frozen and refrigerated foods, in addition to convenience items, can be purchased in both Chet's Place (located in Carkoski Commons behind the Dining Hall) or in The 1872 Grill (located on the main floor in Julia Sears) using Flex Dollars, cash or credit card.

All students living in the residence communities have Flex Dollars or meals that can be converted to Flex Dollars.  Using Flex Dollars, you can make purchases in all University Dining Services locations.  Whenever your balance runs low, you can add Flex Dollars to your account.

Front Desk

The Front Desk is the information center of each residence community. The desk is staffed throughout the day and evening. Students who have questions or need assistance and cannot determine to whom they should direct their inquiry should seek assistance at the Front Desk. More information.

The hours for Crawford, Julia Sears, McElroy and Preska Front Desks:
8 a.m. - 3 a.m. every day of the week during Fall and Spring Semester (break periods have different hours).

The hours for Stadium Heights Office:
See the calendar posted on the office door.

Light Bulbs

Residents of Crawford and McElroy:
Remove the bulb and take it to the Front Desk where it will be exchanged for a new bulb. You must have the old bulb to get a new one. If a light bulb in your room burns out and you are not able to change the bulb or reach the light fixture, submit a Maintenance Request (MR) online at and a maintenance worker will bring a new bulb to your room and install it for you.

Residents of Julia Sears and Preska:
Submit a maintenance request (MR) online at

Residents of Stadium Heights:
Submit a maintenance request (MR) online at 

Living Green/ Recycling

At Minnesota State University, Mankato, Residential Life practices a green philosophy when it is safe and economical for our residents and community.  Students are also encouraged to Live Green. We recycle aluminum cans, tin cans, plastic, cardboard, glass, and paper (all types).  Recycling containers are located throughout the residence communities.  More information.


  • We sort and process trash so that less than 2% of our residential community and dining trash goes to a landfill.
  • Over 20,000 plastic water bottles per month are no longer being deposited in landfills because of our water bottle filler stations available in each residence community lobby.

You can:

  • Save energy by turning off your lights when you leave your room.
  • Let you laptop hibernate when not in use.
  • Unplug your chargers when not in use.

Lofts and Loft Adjustments

All beds in Crawford, McElroy, Julia Sears, Preska and Stadium Heights double rooms will be lofted when you arrive on campus.  All beds in these rooms have adjustable heights and may be bunked.  Stadium Heights full-size beds in single rooms cannot be lofted.

Metal Bed Instructions - Please complete a Maintenance Request if you are unable to make your bed modifications.

Lost and Found

Individuals who have lost an item should check with the Front Desk in their community to see if the missing item has been found. Similarly, an item found in the public areas of the community should be brought to the Front Desk.

Mail and Packages

Each residence hall room has an assigned mailbox which is located in the lobby of the residence community. Address all mail using the student's name and complete address using the proper format, room number, and street address. Address formats for each residence hall, including their unique street numbers and zip codes, are available here.

Maintenance Request (MR)

Students can use the online Maintenance Request form through our website to make a request or report a concern.  Your assistance in reporting maintenance or custodial conditions in a room or common area is very important to us!

Repair Workers and General Maintenance Workers (GMWs) ensure buildings are maintained and public areas are kept clean.  They also work to resolve maintenance requests.


MavPRINT stations are located in the residence communities near the front desk. More information.

Telephone Service

Most students use cellular phones for their personal communication needs. Local (wired) phone service can be made available in rooms through the local telephone service company.

For details and rates, please visit:

View additional information about phone service under “Residential Services."