SafetyPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/reslife/housing/policies/safety/safety.html
Safety and Security
Safety and security entail certain responsibilities for all of us. The Department's activities in providing for your safety and security are described throughout this guide. Your responsibilities in supporting a safe and secure environment in the residence communities include:
- Making sure your belongings are covered by insurance, either under your quardian's' policy or your own
- Locking your room and/or apartment door
- Being alert when walking around after dark and using the "Safe Walk" service
- Reporting lost keys immediately, and
- Cooperating with University personnel and their designees
Residents are required to live in the room to which they have been assigned and may not access (or allow guests to access) additional rooms (including additional resident rooms within their living unit) without the permission of the room resident or the Department of Residential Life.
A number of security measures are taken to assist residents in maintaining a safe residence hall environment.
- All student room doors have peepholes so residents can see who is at their door before opening it.
- Community bathrooms are locked so that only residents of that floor can gain entry.
- Access to residential floors is limited to only residents and their escorted guests from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 a.m. Monday - Friday and from 7:30 p.m. to 11:00 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- In addition, each residence community is staffed by Overnight Safety Monitors from 11:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. The Overnight Safety Monitors monitor doors during the nighttime hours.
- MavCARDS provide entry to Crawford and McElroy for residents of Crawford and McElroy, for Julia Sears residents to enter Julia Sears and for Preska residents to enter Preska.
- Security programs and access hours are subject to change.