April 11, 2013
Last Day to Convert Maverick 160 Meals to Flex Dollars: April 30
Maverick 160 meals can be converted into Flex Dollars at a rate of $5.10 per meal, two times each semester. Your converted Flex Dollars can be utilized at any dining location on campus at any time of the day. Converted Flex Dollars not used by the end of the semester are forfeited.
There are three ways you can convert:
- Complete and submit the form electronically.
- Download, print, complete, and submit a Convert Maverick 160 Plan Meals to Flex Dollars form
- Stop by our office at 111 Carkoski Commons to complete a Convert Maverick 160 Plan Meals to Flex Dollars form.
Please allow up to three business days from the time your change is submitted for Maverick 160 Converted Flex Dollars to be available through your MavCARD.
Severe Weather Season is Here
Severe Weather Procedures
At the first indication of a tornado or severe weather warning:
- Go to the nearest severe weather shelter area. Do not go outside. Do not use an elevator. Electrical service could be disrupted, trapping people between floors.
- Stay away from windows and areas with wide free-span roofs (e.g. main corridors, cafeterias).
- Take a communication device (portable radio, cell phone) and/or flashlight to the shelter area.
- Remain in the severe weather shelter area until the warning has expired or has been cancelled according to the broadcast media. No public “all-clear” siren will sound.
Severe Weather Shelter Areas
While no shelter area can be designed as entirely safe, the following areas are designated as severe weather shelter areas in residence communities.
The shelter area is the lower level corridor of Carkoski Commons. Enter the shelter area through any stairwell leading into the lower level of Carkoski Commons.
Crawford Residence Community
The shelter areas are the Crawford laundry room, the tunnel leading from Crawford Residence Community to Carkoski Commons, and the north lower level hallway of Carkoski Commons. Enter the shelter areas through the stairs leading to the Crawford laundry room.
Julia Sears Residence Community (Residential Floors 1-4)
The shelter areas are the restrooms within suites.
Julia Sears Residence Community (Common Area)
The shelter area is the lower level service corridor. Enter the shelter area through the lower level service corridor door located near the elevator lobby.
McElroy Residence Community
The shelter area is the McElroy F Hall laundry room and the lower level service corridor under the McElroy Residence Community. Enter the shelter area through the stairs leading to the lower level of McElroy.
Margaret R. Preska Residence Community (I Hall, Floors 1-4)
The shelter area is the McElroy F Hall laundry room and the lower level service corridor under the McElroy Residence Community. Enter the shelter area through the stairs leading to the lower level of the McElroy or the Preska Residence Community lower level service corridor. Enter the shelter area through the marked stairways.
Margaret R. Preska Residence Community (J, K, and L Halls, Floors 2-4)
The shelter areas are the restrooms within suites.
Margaret R. Preska Residence Community (Common Area)
The shelter area is in the lower level service corridor. Enter the shelter area through the marked stairways.
RHA and NRHH Executive Boards Announced
Congratulations to the new RHA and NRHH Executive Boards!
President Becky Wegscheid
Vice President Mike Burbank
PCC Michelle Erdman
NCC Tyler Conlon
Tech and Design Emily Peterson
Treasurer Matt Longen
Secretary Colin Grillo
President Jillian Dotas
VP of Recognition Rujecko Machinga
VP of Service Amanda Anderson
VP of Public Relations Nick Wellman
VP of Records Rachel Ward
VP of Membership Tyler Conlon
Upcoming RHA Events
G.A.nanza Community Council Picnic
Monday, April 22 - 4:00 p.m. in Preska 126
All Community Council members are welcome to RHA's last GA of the year. Pizza, drinks, volleyball, games, and fun!
RHA's Mav Party
Saturday, April 27 - 4:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
Area vs. Area Softball Tournament - Sign-up on the board in your lobby or just come out and cheer! Winning Area gets RHA's infamous Traveling Trophy! Inflatables! Live DJ!
Tailgating - Use a meal or flex and join the tailgate party!
One Shirt Challenge Presented by Residential Life Leadership Experience
The Residential Life Leadership Experience is participating in the One Shirt Challenge service project. We will be competing against other schools around the nation to collect and donate the most clothing to a local charity. There are two ways to donate to the challenge:
1. Kick-Off Event: The Nearly Naked Mile
- When - Saturday, April 13 - 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- Where - Otto Recreation Center
- What - Run five laps around the track and try to throw your donatable clothes off the balcony and into bins for prizes! There will also be snacks and games!
2. Donation Bins in Area Lobbies
- When - Sunday, April 14 - Saturday, April 20
- What - Donate your clothes to the bin near your area's front desk.
Earth Day/Flower Planting Day
MSU Facilities Management cordially invites YOU to help us observe EARTH DAY 2013 on May 1 at 11:30 a.m. An annual celebration here at MSU, we observe this day by improving our campus environs. More details regarding this event will be available shortly.
Come join your friends for this time of fun, food and beautification on our campus.
The backup date is May 8 should the original date be cancelled due to weather or other unforeseen events of nature.
Watch for End of Semester Check Out Instructions Emailed to You on April 24
- The end of the academic year will be here soon! You will receive an email on April 24 with all the dates, times and procedures for a smooth and easy residence community checkout. Details will also be available on the Residential Life website.
- Your ACA/CA will hold a building meeting to review these instructions.
- Make your move easier and start taking items home now!
Student Organizations Needed to Help with Stomper Move Crew
Are you involved in a student organization on campus? If so, please share with them that the Department of Residential Life is seeking student organizations to assist in the unloading of vehicles as a part of Stomper Move Crew on Thursday, August 22, 2013. Together students, faculty and staff form the "Stomper Move Crew" that annually welcomes new students to our campus. Stomper Move Crew volunteers receive a t-shirt to wear during their shift. Most importantly, volunteers receive the undying gratitude of students, parents, and families on this important and meaningful day.
- Each volunteer will receive a Stomper Move Crew t-shirt
- Each group/ team / organization with at least 5 volunteers will be eligible for one of four $75 prizes
- Each group/ team / organization with at least 10 volunteers will be eligible for one of two $100 prizes.
An organization representative should contact Torin Akey, Associate Director of Residential Life, at firstname.lastname@example.org or
507-389-1011 by May 30. Information needed from volunteers includes:
- T-shirt sizes (S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL)
- Shift preference: Volunteers are needed from 7:45 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.
- Entire shifts are from 7:45 a.m. -11:45 a.m. and from 11:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.
- If you can’t make an entire shift, but could help for a couple hours, that will work!
Still Looking for a Roommate to Live With for Next Year?
Planning to live on campus, but haven't found a roommate yet? Try RoomSync, our new roommate matching software via Facebook and empower yourself to find the ideal roommate. RoomSync is free and available to students who have made a Minnesota State Mankato on-campus housing reservation for next year.
Then, be sure to add the name and TechID of each individual you would like to room with to your online Housing Reservation Application through E-services by May 20.
Apply Now for Summer 2013 On-Campus Housing
Summer 2013 Housing is available for students enrolled in at least one summer course at Minnesota State University, Mankato. Space is limited and assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis. Get details, rates, the application form and contract online now, or stop by the Residential Life office, 111 Carkoski Commons.
March 28, 2013
February 28, 2013
February 14, 2013
January 24, 2013
November 29, 2012: Winter Break Special Edition
November 15, 2012: Thanksgiving Special Edition
November 8, 2012
October 25, 2012
October 11, 2012
September 27, 2012
September 13, 2012
August 30, 2012