shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Residential Life FAQ

Page address:

Here's a list of parents most Frequently Asked Questions. If you don't see the answer you're looking for, please contact the Residential Life.

What address format should I use to send mail to my student?

Address all mail using the student's name as listed in the University directory and a complete address using the proper format, room number, and street address.

Address formats for each residence hall, including their unique street numbers and zip codes, are available here.

My student hasn't received some mail I sent them. What should they do?

For packages, the student should contact the shipping company using appropriate tracking or insurance numbers. Address all mail using the student's name as listed in the University directory. This is particularly important when mailing items purchased from another vendor, such as an online merchant. Do not use parents' or others' names in the "Ship To" field on such parcels. Please refer to the address information above for specifics on how to address packages to student residents.

If you are missing USPS mail or your mail arrived damaged go to

Where can I park when I come to visit?

Free one-day Yellow “Guest” parking permits are available from the Front Desk of each residence community. These permits are good for 24 hours from the time received, and are only for guests of Minnesota State Mankato residents and not for University students/faculty/staff.

From 6:00 p.m. Sunday to noon on Friday, Yellow guest permit holders may park only in designated Guest stalls in the specified lots adjacent to the residence halls. From noon Friday to 6:00 p.m. Sunday, Yellow permit holders may park in designated Guest stalls or in any stall in the specified lots adjacent to residence halls.

Questions about guest parking should be directed to residence community Front Desks or to University Security, 507-389-2111.

A variety of parking-related maps and driving directions to the campus can be found here.

What size are the mattresses and where can I purchase sheets?

All mattresses provided in the residence communities are 80" x 36" (203cm x 91cm) and require extra long twin sheets, except for Stadium Heights single rooms (beds are full-size).

Students must provide their own bedding, pillows, towels, and other personal items. Our Campus Marketing (OCM), a Residence Hall Association fundraiser, provides an opportunity to purchase extra-long linens needed to fit specially-sized residence hall beds. Through this easy and affordable program, students can have linens and accessories shipped directly to their homes over the summer. More information on the OCM program can be found here.

Can I use my financial aid to pay for off-campus housing?

Yes, you can! When you fill out your FAFSA, you will indicate whether you intend to live on or off campus. Either way, there is a housing cost figured into your cost of attendance. Your award amounts may be slightly different based upon which of these you select. The difference is not huge. If you have lived on campus, you know that your housing bill was previously paid directly out of your financial aid. When you live off campus, you become a middle agent and are responsible for making sure that the rent actually gets paid. After your tuition and fees are deducted from your financial aid, the balance will be sent to you via a check or direct deposit. You can use that money for whatever you want, but it is intended to cover your school-related expenses.

What should students do if they find something in their residence hall is not working properly?

Students may submit an online maintenance request here. Students experiencing any difficulties with this reporting procedure should contact their Front Desk for assistance. If a requested repair is not addressed within seven days, students should contact their Area Director.

What computer recommendations can you provide?

To get connected to the wired/wireless Internet in residence community rooms, students will need:

  • A computer with an Ethernet adapter or card.
  • An Ethernet cable (Cat 5 10/100Base-T cable with RJ-45 connectors) in order to connect their computer to the network port in their room if they want a wired connection.

Check current University-recommended standards for PC and Mac desktops and laptops.

What should a student do if they're having computer problems?

ResTech Services provides expert help at no charge for students living on campus who have computer issues. Students may bring their computers, by appointment, to the ResTech facilities located in the lower level of Carkoski Commons. More details and a link for students to set up an appointment can be found here.

Do freshman live in a specific residence community?

Students may live in any residence community whether they are a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior.

Can freshman bring cars?

All students can bring a vehicle to campus.  Please note a permit is required to park your vehicle on the main campus (parking at Stadium Heights is free).  Click here for Parking Information.

Where does an incoming freshman choose their meal plan?

Students will be invited to choose their meal plan after they have selected/been assigned a room for the upcoming year.  We will communicate with the student when it's time for them to choose their meal plan.

I have a question that isn't addressed here.

Contact the Residential Life - we're here to help!