shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Free 4U at MSU!

Page address:

If you are a student, chances are very good that you could be getting these birth control services at absolutely no cost to you:

  • Annual exam (pelvic, Pap smear, breast exam, blood pressure & other vital signs)
  • Testing and treatment of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) identified during an annual exam or a family planning appointment.
  • Birth control-the pill, the shot, the ring and condoms.
  • Emergency contraception
  • Family planning education

You can enroll at Minnesota State University Student Health Services if you:

  • Are a registered Minnesota State University, Mankato student
  • Are between 15 and 50 years of age
  • Are a Minnesota resident
  • Are a U.S. citizen
  • Are not pregnant
  • Are not enrolled in Medical Assistance (MA), MinnesotaCare, or another state-funded program
  • Earn no more than the monthly income limits below

Monthly Income Limits

Family Size Monthly Income Limit
1 person (you) $1,702
2 persons (you + spouse or child) $2,282
3 persons (you + 2 family members) $2,862
4 persons (you + 3 family members) $3,442

The income limit is your gross monthly wages before taxes are taken out of your paycheck. If you're a student, your parent's income is not a factor in determining your eligibility. If you own property such as a house or car, these assets do not count against you. And if you have private health insurance, it does not affect your eligibility.

How to Enroll

You can sign up at Student Health Service Medical Clinic. It takes less than 5 minutes and we will help you with the paperwork. If you qualify, your enrollment will be effective on the spot and you will be guaranteed for 2 months of coverage. To qualify for coverage past the 2 months, you must provide the state with:

  1. Proof of your income, if you are employed. Paystub(s) within the last 30 days or letter from your employer verifying your monthly wages.
  2. Proof of citizenship, such as a copy of your birth certificate. Immigration documents are accepted in place of a birth certificate. We can provide you with a website to obtain your birth certificate for a fee if needed.

Your Privacy is Important

  • Minnesota State University Student Health Services follows all state and federal privacy laws and is completely confidential.
  • You do not need anyone's consent to enroll.
  • Minnesota State Mankato Student Health Services Medical Clinic records are not part of your academic record.
  • We do not ask for information about your parent's income.


Call Student Health Services at 507-389-6276 or 507-389-6710. We'll be happy to answer your questions.

MFPP (Minnesota Family Planning Program) is a federal grant to prevent unplanned pregnancies.