Merchandise, Work Shirts and Promotional ApparelPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/standards/apparel/
University Printing Services is the preferred source for branded merchandise, apparel and employee work shirts. If you choose to work with an outside vendor to produce any of these products, you must complete and submit this form to receive approval.
Branded merchandise needs to use appropriate colors and must include either the University logo or full University name. If you have questions about applying any of the graphic standards to University-funded merchandise, please contact Doug Fenske, Director of Printing & Photocopying Services, 507-389-1181, email@example.com.
Employee work shirts, ordered for a group of employees to be worn as representatives of the University, should have:
- the full University logo, the full University name or a Minnesota State Mankato logo.
- purple as the dominant color on gold or gray fabric, and gold as the dominant color on purple fabric.
These standards apply to all promotional apparel produced by any University office, including residence halls, or Recognized Student Organization. Using personal funds for apparel representing a University-supported office or RSO does not exempt the shirt from brand standards, because the University brand is carried by the garment regardless of the funding source.
We urge you to use the University’s Printing and Photocopy Services (as opposed to an outside vendor) for apparel production, in order to ensure proper branding and avoid copyright violations. If you instead choose to use an outside vendor to produce apparel, you must submit your design through the online submission form administered by Printing Services.
Any RSO that orders apparel through Printing Services will be offered one hour of professional design service per order at no cost.
All promotional apparel (except affiliation clothing and event/cause garments, as noted below) must contain one of the University’s official logos or the University name somewhere on the shirt. You may also add the official athletics Stomper icon, if desired.
The two permitted versions of the University name are:
- Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Minnesota State Mankato
Promotional attire may use any of the following 14 fabric colors:
- Purple or gold (preferred as our school colors)
- Any of these neutral solid colors:
- ice gray/light gray
- gravel/medium gray
- Any of these heather colors:
- heather purple
- ash gray/light gray
- sport gray/medium gray
Choose from these imprint colors (with exceptions noted for color combinations associated with direct competitors):
- purple and gold combined (preferred as our school colors)
- gold (but not acceptable as the only color on black fabric)
- white (but not acceptable as the only color on purple fabric)
- black (but not acceptable as the only color on gold fabric)
If you want to produce apparel that shows affiliation with a larger regional/national/international organization, you have three options:
- Show only the larger organization’s brand, which means the University's graphic standards do not apply.
- Show only the local chapter’s brand, which means the graphic standards listed above do apply.
- Show the brands of both the local chapter and the larger organization, which means the following standards do apply:
- Use one of the neutral fabric colors listed above.
- Show the name or logo of both the University (described above) and the larger organization.
- Choose from the imprint color options for the University noted above.
- You may also use the imprint colors of the larger organization.
Event and Cause Apparel
If you want to produce apparel for an event or cause that has a well-known tie to a specific color, such as pink for breast cancer awareness, please call Doug Fenske of Printing Services at 389-1181.
If you have any questions about apparel design or production, please call Doug Fenske, director of Printing Services, 389-1181. He can answer your questions better by phone or in person at 309 Wiecking Center than by email. If you visit his office, he can show you shirt and fabric samples.