President's WelcomePage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/students/basicstuff/intro.html
Welcome to Minnesota State University, Mankato! I am delighted that you have chosen to bring your big ideas to our University -- and I'm excited for you to be able to apply real-world thinking to them here as well.
Our faculty and staff are eager to help you achieve your potential in the classroom and through your campus and community experiences. We are committed to outstanding teaching, scholarship, research, and creative activity and are dedicated to preparing educated citizens for our society. I hope that you will explore the many educational opportunities that Minnesota State Mankato offers you.
There are many great stories taking shape at this University, and I want to share a few of them with you.
- In September, we celebrated the ceremonial groundbreaking of a new Clinical Sciences Building. Both our students and the community will benefit from this state-of-the-art facility, which will promote a greater degree of collaboration among our programs and local health care partners and provide better, more accessible services to people in southeastern Minnesota.
- Planning is well underway for the replacement of the Carkoski Commons student dining facility. Construction of the new building, which will be designed using best practices for healthy student dining, will begin in September 2015.
- Thanks to the opportunities created by our Honors Program and the support of our Fellowship Office, our students have been earning prestigious scholarships and fellowships. Sophomore Chengleng Xiong, for example, received the prestigious Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship to study in Thailand from December 2014 until May 2015.
- Minnesota State Mankato has been recognized as a national leader in undergraduate research by the Council on Undergraduate Research--one of only 57 institutions in the country to earn the designation. Our students have the opportunity to participate in the annual Undergraduate Research Symposium and to attend national conferences with the support of our Undergraduate Research Center.
- Forbes magazine continues to rank Minnesota State Mankato in the top quartile nationally of colleges and universities; in 2014, we also moved up six spots to 69th among four-year institutions in the Midwest in the U.S. News and World Report's Best College rankings. Additionally, the College of Business was named one of the nation's best business schools by The Princeton Review.
- Our Theatre and Dance and Music programs are consistently recognized for the quality of their performances with students receiving national awards in their performance areas. Likewise our student-athletes compete in Division I (men's and women's hockey) and in Division II (all other sports). In the 2014-15 academic year, three of our teams have enjoyed No. 1 rankings in their divisions: football, women's soccer and men's hockey.
I hope this will be a memorable and rewarding year for you at Minnesota State Mankato! I look forward to congratulating you upon your graduation when you will join the more than 114,000 successful alumni whose Minnesota State Mankato degree is a lifelong symbol of pride and achievement.