Common Questions - Bills & Payment

When will I get my bill?

An e-mail is sent to each student’s University email account (MavMAIL address) prior to each semester to remind them to check their account balances online. Student billing information is accessed through the University’s e-services website,; semester invoices are not mailed.

What will be on my bill?

Your bill includes charges for each semester.

  • The cost for your classes is tuition & fees. The amount of tuition & fees depends on how many credits you’re enrolled in, whether at the undergraduate or graduate level, and your residency status. 
  • Some classes and programs charge additional fees to cover specialized costs as well; those amounts appear in the course description notes when you register.
  • If you live in a residence hall, there will be charges for the room & meal plan you selected.
  • If you charged your textbook/supplies purchases at Barnes & Noble at the start of the semester, that amount is included.
  • Aside from these charges, most other miscellaneous amounts will depend on activities or actions you take, such as health services charges, parking or library fines, graduation fee, etc.

I am taking summer classes. Will I be charged differently?

The tuition & fees rates are set up the same for fall, spring and summer, with similar billing timelines. More information about tuition, and Important Dates.

How do I apply for reciprocity?

Reciprocity is a formal agreement between states that qualify nonresident student to be charged less than the nonresident tuition rate, sometimes as low as the resident rate. South Dakota residents do not need to apply for reciprocity. Wisconsin residents apply online at North Dakota residents apply online at Students will need to meet application deadlines, as reciprocity status is not granted retroactively. For more information, visit

When is my bill due?

The “paid in full” due date is the 25th business day of the semester. This means your student account balance should be zero by this date whether you are using financial aid or personal funds to pay your bill. Due dates for a specific semester. 

There is another important billing date to be aware of that may require a payment. There are Registration Guarantee Dates that require students to meet minimum payment requirements to remain enrolled; the first of these guarantee dates comes 15 business days before the semester begins and the last one is on the 5th day of the semester. Students who do not meet the minimum requirements will have their registrations cancelled, so there are many warnings and alerts sent to any who are at risk. Find more information about what is required to prevent registration cancellation.

How do I pay my bill?

You may pay online with an E-check or U.S.-issued Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit card directly to the University through the E-services website, Online payments are immediately posted to your student account. Parents who wish to view their student’s account balance or pay online must work with their student to obtain bill pay proxy access on E-services.

Cash, checks and signed international or U.S.-issued Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit cards are accepted for payment in person at the University Cashier’s office, located at 128 Wigley Administration Center.
The Cashier’s service window hours during the academic year are 8:15 am–4:00 pm Monday through Friday. Summer hours are 7:45 am–3:30 pm.

Checks may be mailed to: 
University Cashier 
Minnesota State University, Mankato 
128 Wigley Administration Center 
Mankato, MN 56001
Please remember to note the student’s StarID or Tech ID number in the memo section of the check to ensure credit to the proper account.

If you enrolled in a payment plan with Nelnet/FACTS, your payments will be routed through that process to Minnesota State Mankato. These payments may take up to ten days to be received and posted to your student account.

Do I need to make a down payment to keep my classes?

Not necessarily. If the University has your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or if you enrolled in a Nelnet/FACTS payment plan for the semester by the published registration guarantee date, you will meet the requirement to stay registered in your classes. Those actions do take a few days to get updated on your university records, though, so be sure you see the green “GO” message on your E-services Bills and Payment page. A $300 payment will also guarantee your registration and you can pay online through E-services or in person at the Cashiers Office. If you need help, please contact us before the registration guarantee date so we can intervene to protect your classes if necessary. Find more information about how to be sure your registration won’t be cancelled.

Can I do a payment plan?

Yes, there are a couple different options when it comes to payment plans. 
First, you can enroll in a Nelnet/FACTS payment plan which is for one semester at a time and requires automatic monthly payments through the semester. Enrollment is done on E-services and there are timelines to get signed up for the different monthly plans. Information is provided at Payment Plans and Installments. If you have more questions, you can visit the Cashiers Office to learn more.

Another kind of payment plan is offered for students who are earning work-study and get paid every two weeks through payroll deposits. If you are interested in setting up this kind of payment plan, visit our Accounts Receivable Director in the Student Financial Services office.

What if a third party agency is paying my tuition?

Third party awards (i.e., Rehabilitation Services, Veterans Services, and Jobs & Training) are received by the University on behalf of students. If an agency provides written authorization (signed contract), the funding will be reflected on the student’s account. Students who receive the authorization forms directly from their third party agency need to submit the form to Student Financial Services for processing. The University will invoice the third party agency directly for authorized charges.

What happens if I do not pay my bill by the due date?

You will have three weeks after the due date to get your account paid in full before any penalties go into effect. If your account is still unpaid at that time it is considered past due. Past due accounts are subject to a late fee and an unpaid balance hold that prevents future registration transactions, the ability to receive official transcripts, and the ability to receive a diploma. The hold is released once your account is paid in full.

What if I can’t pay my bill by the due date? Will my classes be dropped?

Once you’ve met the minimum financial requirements to stay enrolled in your classes by the 5th day of the semester, you are financially obligated to pay for those classes. The University will not typically initiate a course drop after the 5th day, but if you drop all of your classes early on in the semester you may qualify for a partial credit or refund under the official withdrawal policy. 

You will have three weeks after the due date to pay before your account is considered past due. Once it is past due, a late fee may be charged and a registration hold may be placed. This hold prevents you from registering for the next semester until you have your account paid in full. It is important to get your account paid by the end of the semester to prevent further collection penalties; if you need to, you can contact the Cashiers Office to set up a payment plan to keep your account from being referred for collection and subject to additional fees and interest charges.

What if my bill is wrong?

Most of your charges have been generated automatically based on your actions. If you register for a class, a charge is generated. If you sign a residence hall contract, a charge is generated. There are some charges that are manually entered so we recognize that errors can occur despite our best efforts. Monitor your account routinely, at and question any charges you do not understand. Verify your class schedule, and become knowledgeable about the financial implications of various deadlines and due dates. 

The staff at the Campus Hub can assist you with billing questions and are happy to research account transactions on your behalf. Don’t let your questions go unanswered, because the earlier a problem is detected the easier it will be to resolve.

What if I change my mind and drop my classes? Do I still have to pay for them?

Students are allowed to make changes to their class schedules without financial penalty through the tuition obligation date, which occurs the fifth day of the semester or one day after the first scheduled class meeting, whichever is later.
Tuition & fees charges are not removed for courses dropped after the tuition obligation date, except as provided through an approved course exchange or tuition appeal, or as part of an official withdrawal from the university. Course exchanges are handled through the Registration Help Center. A Tuition Refund Appeal form is available from the Campus Hub and must be submitted when the courses are dropped, no later than the end of the semester. Documentation is required to support the reason for an appeal; approval of appeals is based on the verification of extreme extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control that include unforeseen medical situations, military deployment, death of a close family member, etc.

When do I need to drop my courses so I am not charged?

You can drop courses through the fifth day of the semester without financial obligation. If you drop a course after the fifth day you will still be responsible to pay for it, unless it is part of an approved course exchange or tuition appeal. More information about dropping courses

If you drop all of your courses, which is considered withdrawing from the university, you may be eligible for a partial reduction of charges. Information about official withdrawals.

If I decide not to attend Minnesota State Mankato after I registered for classes, what should I do?

Remember that when you registered for classes you accepted a financial obligation to pay for those classes. If you decide not to attend, or to stop attending classes, you must notify the University through the Official Withdrawal process in a timely manner by following the steps outlined.  

Students living in campus residence hall must also arrange with the Office of Residential Life for a room checkout interview to establish plans to vacate as well as to determine financial liability for room and/or meal plan charges up to the date of withdrawal.

Refunds/credits of tuition and fees for withdrawal are based on the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Refund Policy. A student’s withdrawal date is determined by the date that all courses for the semester are dropped/withdrawn on the registration system or the date the Campus Hub receives notification of the withdrawal, whichever is earlier. Important Note: Students who withdraw and have already received financial aid may be required to repay all or part of those funds. The amount of repayment will depend on the withdrawal date.

My account is in collections. Who should I contact?

If your account was referred to Minnesota Department of Revenue you can contact that office, also called Minnesota Collections Enterprise, or MCE, by calling 651-556-3003. 

If your account was referred to Williams and Fudge you can contact this private collection agency by phone at 800-849-9791.

If you aren’t sure where your account was referred or if you have other questions, you can contact the Cashiers Office at the university by email at or call 507-389-2259.