Cookbook - SoupsPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/wellness/cookbook/soups/hamwildricecrockpotsoup/
Ham and Wild Rice Crock Pot Soup
- 2 cups cooked ham (or turkey), diced*
- 3/4 cup wild rice, uncooked
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 lb bag frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth*
- 1 can cream of chicken soup*
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 cup water
- 1/2 cup half-and-half*
- Mix all ingredients, except half-and-half in 4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.
- Stir in half-and-half. Increase heat setting to high. Cover and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until hot.
Eight 1 cup servings.
*Try chicken in place of ham or a meatless product. Use low sodium and/or reduced fat broth and cream soup.
*Make your own half and half: one cup of half-and-half= 1 tablespoon of trans-fat free butter and enough skim milk to equal a cup with the tablespoon of butter.
*Instead of having a creamy soup, replace cream of chicken soup and half-and-half with low sodium and fat-free chicken broth.