Events - MSUPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/wellness/events/fall2007/
Fall Semester 2007 Events:
Healthy Holiday Newsletter (140KB PDF)
- Stressing with work or school? Wondering when you’ll ever find the time to get things done? Does loss of sleep hinder your productivity? This presentation will explain simple, yet powerful, techniques to help deal with issues of anxiety, stress, sleep deprivation, and time management. All techniques are supported with empirically-based research in behavioral psychology. Techniques reviewed: Deep Breathing; Visualization; Progressive Muscle Relaxation; Time Management and Goal Setting; Sleep; Hygiene. Presenter: Joe Wanzek, MSU graduate student in Clinical Psychology and intern in the MSU Counseling Center.
- When: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Dec. 5th
- Where: CSU 203
- Bring your lunch.
- Mt. Kato Night, Friday, February 8th
- Massages by Sister Rosalind - early February
- First Aid/CPR, Saturday, February 16th (4 hours) by Jen Myers
- Book Club Brown Bag
November 2007 Spotlight
Emotional / Spiritual Health
Yoga with Honey Lynn Stempka
- When: Mondays and Wednesdays 12:00-12:45 pm - through November 18th, 2007
- Where: PH 102
- Who: Beginners and up (that means you!)
- Cost: $2.00 a class or pay in advance $24 for one time a week for 12 weeks or two times a week for 12 weeks is only $40 (money taken at Benefit Fair or on first day of class)
- Audio files
Healthy Holiday Cooking Demo
- Holiday times are here! Join us for a cooking demonstration of 2 healthy recipes you can use over the holidays. Also learn some simple tips to modify your favorite recipes and have a healthier holiday season. Led by Rebecca Gruenes, MSU, Mankato’s Nutrition Health Educator
- When: 12:00 pm - 12:45 pm Nov. 13th
- Where: Wiecking room B 139
- Must RSVP by Friday Nov. 9th to firstname.lastname@example.org Limit of 25 participants. Bring your lunch.
Did You Know?
- The MN State Employee Assistance Program is a free, confidential service for MN state employees and members of their household. They work with people with a variety of issues, including relationship concerns, grief and loss, career and job issues, stress, and more. www.doer.state.mn.us/eap/eap.htm. 866.477.1586
Great American Smoke-out
- What better way to quit smoking than with the support of others? Nov. 15th is the nationwide day to quit. Want to encourage someone in their efforts to quit? Send them a chocolate-gram, a Hershey’s Kiss with an encouraging message.
- Stop by the table in CSU Lobby A at the Health and Wellness Fair on Nov. 15th from 10:00 am 2:00 pm to get one mailed on or off campus.
- Best part? It’s free!
- No we won’t actually be smoking and doing yoga, but we will be offering a free yoga class on Nov. 16th from 12:00 12:45 pm in PH 102 for all employees who want to try it. Yoga offers great relaxation and breathing techniques for its practitioners, especially beneficial if you are trying to kick the smoking habit.
- Smokers and Non-Smokers alike are welcome to attend this multi-level class.
- Wear comfortable clothes and bring a friend, we’ll provide the yoga mats.
The Legal Side of Elder Care
- Have you ever wondered if your aging loved one needs some type of legal protective power in place, such as durable power of attorney for health care, a conservatorship, guardianship or other legal protection? Come to this brown bag lunch to hear Attorney Ray Beckel from the Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services Office in Mankato discuss the differences in these powers, the process for obtaining them, and answers to other questions you may have about the legal side of care-giving for older adults. Please RSVP if you know you are planning on attending to email@example.com by Nov. 12th
- When: 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Nov. 15th
- Where: CSU 204
- Don’t forget to bring your lunch!
Drink Coffee? Try Tea!
- Do you find yourself drinking coffee most days, maybe a few cups more than you would like? Spice up your hot beverage routine and try some different types of tea. We’ll bring the hot water, cups and a variety of tea bags to sample, you bring your friends and your lunch.
- When: 12:00 pm -1:00 pm, Nov. 20th
- Where: CSU 202
YMCA Corporate Membership Drive
- The corporate membership drive ends November 15th and new memberships go into effect December 1st.
- To sign up or change your current membership, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 2068
October 2007 Spotlight
This month we are focusing on our physical health and how that can be approached from a multitude of different ways. Certainly part of it is what we eat and what activities we choose to participate in, but it goes a lot further than just being physically fit.
Numerous studies show that increased physical activities can lead to improved mental clarity, mood, greater job satisfaction, immunity, quality of life and a sense of vitality. In fact, even small amounts of exercise can reduce the risk of dying from anything by 58 percent (Journal of the American Medical Assoc. 1989).
Most of all, exercise shouldn’t be a chore, or you just won’t do it. So think about what you enjoy doing, or what you have always wanted to try, and quit making those excuses. Get out and do something fun, you won’t regret it!
Fall 2007 1st Meeting:
- August 29, 2007, CSU256, 10:30am - 11:30am
Orientation Benefit Fair:
- Wednesday, September 5, 2007, CSU Ballroom, 11am - 1pm
Annual Poker Walk - September 19th
- When: 12:00 pm
- Where: meet at the fountain
- Who: People who want to win prizes while strolling across campus. (Poker experience not necessary to participate)
- Cost: your favorite word, Free!
Family Weekend 5K - Fun Run/Walk
- When: October 20th, 2007 8:30 am
- Where: Behind Gage Complex
- Who: MSU faculty, staff, students, and families
- Receive a free MSU 5k t-shirt. Bagels and fruit at the finish line! To receive a t-shirt, register by calling Campus Recreation at 3269 by Oct. 1st, 2007.
Body Composition Analysis
- When: By appointment in October 2007
- Where: Campus Recreation
- Cost: $10, contact email@example.com for more details and to schedule
- Takes about 10 minutes, confidential discussion of results. A great opportunity to get a baseline for personal fitness goals.
Bike to Work Days
- When: October 10th, 2007 and 17th 4:45pm
- Where: Meet at the Fountain
- Who: MSU Employees with bicycles
- Ride to work in the morning then we’ll gather and ride through several local neighborhoods. If we pass near your house, you can stop there, if not, we’ll end at the Filling Station Coffee Shop.
- A drawing to win a new bike helmet and other prizes will be held.
- If you would like to see if we can plan the route to pass by your house, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday Oct. 8th
- When: October 22, 2007, 12:00pm (1st meeting0
- Where: CSU 203, Daniel Buck Room
- Who: People interested in a supportive community for better nutrition and weight management
- Cost depends on number of participants and length of program, usually $10-12 a week for a 14 or 17 week commitment. If interested please contact email@example.com
Individuals with a disability who need a reasonable accommodation to participate in these events, please contact Wellness Committee at 507.389.2068 (V) or 1.800.627.3529 or 711 (MRS/TTY) at least five days prior to the day of the event.