This section of The Stuttering Home Page features books, journals, articles, conference reports and archives of newsletters about stuttering.
Full-length Books Available Online
Myers, F. L., & St. Louis, K. O., (Eds.) (1992).Cluttering: A Clinical Perspective Leicester: FAR Communications. Reissued: San Diego, CA: Singular, 1996. (entire book freely available on the International Cluttering Association website).
Several of the chapters of Marty Jezer's book, Stuttering: A Life Bound Up In Words, originally posted to Casafutura website and retrieved from The Way Back Machine on June 13, 2005
Speech-Language Pathology/Stuttering - an extensive Wikibook by Tom Kehoe, well formatted with interesting information.
Historical Books about Stuttering
Because I Stutter by Wendell Johnson
- The real cause of stammering and its permanent cure: a treatise on psycho-analytical lines (1920) by Alfred Appelt
- The faults of speech: a self-corrector and teachers' manual (1916) by Alexander Melville Bell
- Principles of speech and distionary of sounds, including directions and exercises for the cure of stammering and correction of all faults of articulation (1916) by Alexander Melville Bell
- Behnke's stammering, cleft-palate speech, lisping (1922) by Kate Emil Behnke
- Bluemel, CS (1913) Stammering and Cognate Defects of Speech or volume 1 here and volume 2 here New York: G. E. Stechert and Co.
- The Project Gutenberg Etext of Stammering, Its Cause and Cure by Benjamin Nathaniel Bogue, Indianapolis September, 1929 - one of the infamous early "stuttering schools" in the US, attended by Charles Van Riper.
- A system of elocution, with special reference to gesture, to the treatment of stammering, and defective articulation (1853) by Andrew Comstock
- Memoir on the Radical Cure of Stuttering by a Surgical Operation (1841) by Johann Friedrich Dieffenbach, tr. by J. Travers
- An Experimental Study of Stuttering (1914) by James Madison Fletcher
- Elocution Simplified: With an Appendix on Lisping, Stammering, Stuttering and Other Defects of Speech (1877) by Walter K. Fobes
- Gymnastics of the Voice for Song and Speech: Also a Method for the Cure of Stuttering and Stammering (1893) by Oskar Guttmann
- Stammering and Stuttering: their nature and treatment (1861) by James Hunt
- Stammering and Stuttering (1870) by James Hunt and H.F. Rivers
- Philadelphia Institute for the Permanent Cure of Stammering, and All Other Defects in Articulation (1902) by Edwin S. Johnston
- Stammering: the Besley treatment (1900?) by W.J. Ketley
- Dorothy Deane: a children's story (1898) by Ellen Olney Kirk
- The Practical Treatment of Stammering and Stuttering: With Suggestions for Practice and Helpful Exercises (1902) by George Andrew Lewis and George Beswick Hynson
- Stammering: its origin and the advanced method of cure (1920) by Lee Wells Millard
- Penmanship Stuttering
by E. W. Scripture, Ph.D., M.D., visiting physician for Speech Defects to Randall's Island, New York City, reprinted from Journal of AMA, May 8, 1909, p. 1480-1481
- Stuttering and Lisping (1912) by E.W. Scripture
- Speech hesitation (1899) by Eliza Jane Ellery Thorpe
Self-Therapy for the Stutterer, by Malcolm Fraser, (11th edition) from the Stuttering Foundation.
Advice to Those Who Stutterer by Malcolm Fraser, from the Stuttering Foundation
To the Child Who Stutters: To the Pediatrician by Barry Guitar from the Stuttering Foundation
Easy Stuttering by Vivian Sheehan, M.A., CCC; Pamela Shanks, M.A., CCC and Stephen Mereu - price $9.98 (consists of articles and assignments based on the ideas and concepts Joseph Sheehan. Most of the assignments were originally written by him).
Redefining Stuttering: What The Struggle To Speak Is Really All About, 2008, - free PDF copy of John Harrison's 485 page book.
Therapy for the Severe Older Adolescent and Adult Stutterer by George G. Helliesen, a retired SLP explains Van Riper treatment strategies a 70 page online book in PDF format, made available online by the Journal of
Stuttering Therapy, Advocacy & Research (JSTAR)
Lindh, Stig (2012) Is Stuttering Something To Get Hung Up On? 295 pages, originally published in Swedish, translated by Louise Lindh and made freely-available online by the author
Theoretical Development of a Proposed Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy Based Model to Treat Persons with Chronic Perseverative Stuttering Syndrome Gunar Neiders, 2010 (a Ph.D. dissertation under the direction of Norman Mar, Ph.D.) More information about this dissertation
Courtney Stromsta's Stuttering: Its Nature and Management (PDF format) from the Stuttering Foundation
Starkweather, C. Woodruff, Ed, Conditioning in Stuttering Therapy: applications and Limitations. Publication No. 7, Speech Foundation of America, 1970
classic chapter on Counseling, Principles of counseling people who stutter from the Stuttering Foundation book, Effective Counseling in Stuttering Therapy edited by Jane Fraser
Self-Help Manual by Dr Satyendra Srivastava
Complete Children's Books Freely Available Online
Jeremy and the Hippo by Gail Wilson Lew.
de Geus, Eelco (1999) Sometimes I Just Stutter, translated by Elisabeth Versteegh-Vermeij is a book written especially for children who stutter. This book is also available in Spanish, Chinese, Dutch, and Italian! (translations of various books available here)
Changing the Words Around by Alan Badmington, illustrated by Christine Badgett-Richards
Everyone's Different by Alan Badmington
The Can't Be Seen Who Couldn't Squawk by Dale Williams, co-illustrated by Dale and Brennan Williams.
My Very Own: I can Do It Storybook! Starring Me by Julie Raynor from the Stuttering Foundation - a 10 page PDF with opportunity to fill in with pictures of a child learning to walk, drink from a cup, turn on the lights, swim, talk, etc. The book concludes "there are so many things to learn to do! And just remember one thing. If something is hard or you need help, don't worry about it. Just keep on trying and pretty soon you will get it!!"
Trouble at Recess by Jamie (PDF from the Stuttering Foundation)
Izabela: Pravljica o princeski, ki je jecljala/ (translated, Isabela: The Story about the Princess Who Stuttered) by Beata Akerman (The illustrated book is in Slovenian. The author sent an English translation).
Stuttering Stan Takes a Stand - a free online flash-animation books for kids about a squirrel who was teased and bullied about his stuttering who refuses to show that his feelings are being hurt until one day he learns an important lesson from a new friend.
Journals about Fluency Disorders
The four issues of Stammering Research the Electronic Journal of the British Stammering Association, edited by Peter Howell. 2004-2005.
Online Student Journal of Fluency Disorders welcomes exceptional student papers/projects about stuttering and other fluency disorders. Instructors may recommend papers that would be of interest to a general readership, be submitted to or linked to this web-publication.
The Journal of Stuttering Therapy, Advocacy and Research (JSTAR) is a free online quarterly publication co-edited by Gregory Snyder, Ph.D. and Peter Reitzes, M.A. All the articles below are available at the above URL in PDF format
- Volume 1, Issue 1
- Counseling People Who Stutter and their Families by
Patricia Zebrowski, Ph.D, SLP
- Using Essays in Therapy by
Dale Williams, Ph.D, SLP
- Mentors, Role Models, and Peer Support for Children Who Stutter by
Peter Reitzes, MA, SLP
- Stuttering Celebration by
Jill Smollen, MA, SLP
- Our Time Provides Kids Their Time by
Director of the Our Time Theatre Company
- Volume 1, Issue 2
- When Do I Get to Shut the Door? The Pseudostuttering Experiences of Two Undergraduate Students by
Joseph Klein, Ph.D., Maria Cervini, & Katerina Clemenzi
- A Preliminary Examination of SSMP Participants' Retrospective Self-Ratings of Changes in Attitude, Communicative Abilities, and Self-Acceptance by
Sandra A. Cullinan, MS CCC-SLP
- Pausing: Reducing the Frequency of Stuttering by
Peter Reitzes, MA, CCC-SLP
- Treating Fluency and Speech Rate Disorders in Individuals with Parkinson's Disease: The Use of Delayed Auditory Feedback by
Paul Blanchet, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
- My Journey with Stuttering by
- Volume 1, Issue 3
- Using Delayed Auditory Feedback to Treat Fluency and Speech Rate Deficits in Individuals with Parkinson's Disease: Specific Clinical Considerations by Paul Blanchet, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
- Five Fun Activities to Practice Pausing with Children Who Stutter by Peter Reitzes, MA CCC-SLP
- Learning and Discovering: A Parent's Journey with Stuttering by
- A Stutterer's Perspective: A Stutterer's Challenge by Eric Jackson
- Volume 2, Issue 1
- Development of an operant treatment for content word dysfluencies in persistent stuttering children by Phil Reed, Peter C. Howell, Steve Davis, & Lisa A. Osborne
- The Client's Perspective by Joseph Donaher
- Student Participation in the International Stuttering Awareness Day 2006 Online Conference by Charlie Osborne
- Effects of stuttering support groups on the perceived impact of stuttering on adults by Heather Wahba
- Volume 3, Issue 1
- Therapy for the Severe Older Adolescent and Adult Stutterer. (Text in Full) by George G. Helliesen
- Volume 3, Issue 2
- Stressors associated with the onset of stuttering in native Dutch-speaking children by Ronny A. Boey, Floris L. Wuyts, Paul H. Van de Heyning, Louis Heylen, Reinhard Stoop, Marc S. De Bodt
- Digital Audio and Self-Help for People Who Stutter by
Greg Snyder, Peter Reitzes, and Eric Jackson
- The Use of Altered Speech Feedback in Prosthetic Stuttering Management
by Greg Snyder
- The Existence of Stuttering in Sign Language and other Forms of Expressive Communication by Greg Snyder
- A Selected Review and Comment on Stuttering Treatment Measurements and Therapy Effectiveness by Greg Snyder
- School-age Children who Stutter: Attitude Changes Following a Thinking Skills Program by Joseph Agius
- The Demedicalization of Stuttering: Towards a Notion of Transfluency by
- Would You Date a Person Who Stutters? College Students Respond by
Robert Mayo & Carolyn M. Mayo
Journal abstracts and online bibliographies
Research bibliography from the Michael Palin Centre
- Journal of Fluency Disorders, the official journal of the International Fluency Association, allows free access to the table of contents and abstracts of articles from Volume 1 to the current issue as well as complimentary access to an entire journal.
- Efficacy in Stuttering Treatment Bibliography
- Annotated Bibliography of articles related to stuttering from journals 1990 to 2009. A project of Seminar in Stuttering, at Mankato State University.
- Stuttering Bibliography for 1976-1981 by Andreas Starke.
- Bibliography of Charles Van Riper's work
- Bibliography of Wendell Johnson's work
- Cluttering Bibliography by Judy Kuster.
- A Bibliography Of Writings On The History Of Logopedics, Phoniatrics, Communication
Disorders, And Allied Subjects by Jeffrey Wollock, D. Phil., New York. and Jorge
Perelló, M.D., Barcelona is a substantial work with many historical references to
stuttering as well as other communciation disorders.
Fourth Annual Stuttering And Fluency Bibliography from the International Fluency Association.
- Bibliography on Neurogenic Stuttering by Prof. Dr. Henny-Annie Bijleveld, sent by Patrick Coppens
Communication Laboratory Toronto Western Research Institute -
Director: Dr. Luc F. De Nil, has an extensive bibliography of De Nil's
publications relating to the neural bases of stuttering. (links on this page don't work and last updated in 2004, but still a good resource).
Magazines, Newsletters and Electronic Digests Available Online
Stuttering Center News and KidsSpeak - free bi-monthly newsletters from the Stuttering Center. Published from 2003-2005.
The Fluency Island souvenir magazine, articles in French and English, published on the occasion of the 4tth anniversary of Friends 4 Fluency in Mauritius, Africa. (PDF format)
Archive of Stuttering Foundation Newsletters from 1991-present.
Complete Articles Available Online
Below are several articles by Charles Van Riper
Stuttering Therapy in 2050 A.D., in Emerick, L.L., and Hamre, C.I. (ed.) An Analysis of Stuttering, Danville, Ill., 1972, pp. 808-812.
- "How are you doing, Dr. Van?" WMU Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing
, Volume 24, 1987, 1-2.
- Recollections From a Pioneer, ASHA, June-July 1989, p. 72-73
- Guest Editorial: To our Clinicians, written in 1979, and published, but we don't know where.
- Van Riper, C., A Handful of Nuts," WMU Journal of Speech Therapy, Volume 11, 1974, II, 1-3.
- Van Riper, C., To the Parents of a Stuttering Child, Staff , Volume 1, 1991, p. 1
- Van Riper, C., An Early History of ASHA ASHA, November 1981, Vol. 23:11, p. 855-858.
- Van Riper, C., "Again to Cope," Michigan Speech Association Journal, Volume 1, 1966, 2-8.
"Our Enterprising Predecessors And Charles Sydney Bluemel" by Ruth M. Clark, ASHA Magazine, April 1964, p. 107-114, reprinted with permission of ASHA, features information about the early "stuttering schools" which guarenteed cures for stuttering.
Chapter XII, "Stuttering (Dysphemia) from West, R. (1933). Disorders of speech and voice. (2nd edition) Madison, WI: College Typing Co.
Conference Reports and Proceedings Available Online
Notes from the 1997 Special Interest Division 4 (Fluency and Fluency Disorders) Leadership Conference, Tucson, AZ. Compiled by Nan Bernstein Ratner and Bob Quesal.
Foreword and Table of Contents (pdf), Proceedings of the Third World Congress in Fluency Disorders, Nyborg, Denmark, 2000, Edited by Hans-Georg Bosshardt, J. Scott Yaruss, and Hermann, F.M. Peters (complete preceedings is available for purchase)
Complete Program, including abstracts of all presentations for the 4th World Congress On Fluency Disorders August 11 - 15, 2003 Montreal, Quebec, Canada (complete preceedings edited by A.Packman, A.Meltzer and H.Peters is available for purchase)
Proceedings of the First World Conference on Cluttering (2007), Katarino, Bulgaria.
Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences Volume 193, Pages 1-358 (30 June 2015), Proceedings of the 10th Oxford Dysfluency Conference, ODC 2014, 17 - 20 July, 2014, Oxford, United kingdom Edited by Sharon K Millard, Dave T Rowley and Karen Fenton
added January 28, 2006
last updated September 1, 2016