Maintaining StatusPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/international/status.html
Things to Remember for Maintaining Status
- Your passport must be valid for at least six months into the future.
- You must attend the school that issued your visa document (I-20 or DS-2019 formerly IAP-66).
- You must carry a full load of classes each semester except during summer vacation (12 credit hours for undergraduate students; 6 credit hours for graduate students).
- If you change your major or your degree level, you must contact International Student Office (CISS) (phone: 389-1281) for more information.
- If you are unable to complete your degree by your program end date on your I-20, you must request a Program Extension BEFORE your program ends.
- You may not work off campus without permission from the USCIS. Come to CISS for more information.
- You may work on campus up to 20 hours per week. (You will need to come to CISS for "work authorization" form).
- If you move, you must give the CISS your new address within 10 days of the move.
- If you are travelling outside of the United States, make sure you have valid passport, visa and I-20 while you re-enter.
- While travelling outside of the United States, if you are on the process of transferring out from MSU, make sure you use MSU I-20 to re-enter.
- You are limited on the number of on-line courses which do not require face-to-face interaction. You may have one class/three credits toward your full-time courseload of study. For example, an undergraduate with only 12 credits may have one 3 credit course with 9 classroom credits. A graduate student with only 6 credits can only have 3 credits on-line and the other 3 credits being classroom credits.
Keeping your address current with MSU and Immigration
Continue to update your address at Campus Hub in the Centennial Student Union or log into E-Services:
(1) Log into E-Services
(2) Under "Account Maintenance" update your local and permanent address as where you are residing/living in the Mankato area.
(3) You may also submit form AR-11 within 10 days of the change. It is always good to keep a copy of the form when mailing, or get a receipt from the Post Office when mailing.
If you should lose F-1 student status, follow these procedures:
If you are "terminated" in the SEVIS system as an F-1 student, there are options to apply for Reinstatement. Please see an adviser and follow instructions from Kearney International Center on applying for Reinstatement: