shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Maintaining Status

Page address:

Things to Remember for Maintaining Status

  • Your passport must be valid for at least six months into the future.
  • You must attend the school that issued your visa document (I-20 or DS-2019 formerly IAP-66).
  • You must carry a full load of classes each semester except during summer vacation (12 credit hours for undergraduate students; 6 credit hours for graduate students).
  • If you change your major or your degree level, you must contact International Student Office (CISS) (phone: 389-1281) for more information.
  • If you are unable to complete your degree by your program end date on your I-20, you must request a Program Extension BEFORE your program ends.
  • You may not work off campus without permission from the USCIS. Come to CISS for more information.
  • You may work on campus up to 20 hours per week. (You will need to come to CISS for "work authorization" form).
  • If you move, you must give the CISS your new address within 10 days of the move.
  • If you are travelling outside of the United States, make sure you have valid passport, visa and I-20 while you re-enter.
  • While travelling outside of the United States, if you are on the process of transferring out from MSU, make sure you use MSU I-20 to re-enter.
  • You are limited on the number of on-line courses which do not require face-to-face interaction.  You may have one class/three credits toward your full-time courseload of study. For example, an undergraduate with only 12 credits may have one 3 credit course with 9 classroom credits.  A graduate student with only 6 credits can only have 3 credits on-line and the other 3 credits being classroom credits. 

Keeping your address current with MSU and Immigration

Continue to update your address at Campus Hub in the Centennial Student Union or log into E-Services:

(1) Log into E-Services

(2) Under "Account Maintenance" update your local and permanent address as where you are residing/living in the Mankato area. 

(3) You may also submit form AR-11 within 10 days of the change. It is always good to keep a copy of the form when mailing, or get a receipt from the Post Office when mailing.

If you should lose F-1 student status, follow these procedures:

If you are "terminated" in the SEVIS system as an F-1 student, there are options to apply for Reinstatement.  Please see an adviser and follow instructions (broken link) from Kearney International Center on applying for Reinstatement: