Student RecordsPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/requestsforinfo/private/studentrecords.html
Institutions must collect, disclose, and retain government data in compliance with state and federal law. Educational records are governed by the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Educational records contain information directly related to a student. These records are private and subject to strict rules of disclosure. **Data privacy rights extend to all students attending a post-secondary institution including PSEO students and minors. Only Directory Information can be released to parents without the student's written authorization or in a bona fide emergency.
Minnesota State University, Mankato has designated the following items as Directory Information. As such, this information may generally be released to the public without the consent of the student.
- Date and place of birth
- Local and permanent address
- Major field of study
- Local and permanent telephone number
- Dates of attendance
- Grade level classification
- Previous college/university attended
- Degrees received
- E-mail address
- Awards and honors
- Height and weight information for athletic participation
- Performance records and participation in competitive events and officially recognized activities, sports and organizations
Any information not included in the definition of Directory Information will not be provided to a third party requester without written authorization from the student. Inform the requester that Federal, State, and University regulations prohibit the release of private information. Further, the requester should be told to obtain the desired information from the student or ask the student to sign a written release form (which should be retained) permitting disclosure of the desired information to the third party requester.
Students may request that directory information be kept private by contacting the registrar's office, 132 WA. After submitting a confidentiality form, the student's address will only be used for internal purposes. However, students should be aware that addresses appear on many reports, e.g. advisor reports, grade reports, etc. and the releasing of information could occur by persons reading those various reports.
Students can request that their non-directory information (e.g. grades) be made available to specified third parties by contacting the Campus Hub, Student Financial Services, or Registrar's Office.
Questions? Refer to the Student Records Policies and Procedures for Minnesota State University, Mankato.
Consequences of Violating Data Privacy Laws
- Complaint to federal agency could result in loss of federal funding to college, or system
- Exemplary damages up to $10,000 per willful violation
- Recovery of damages, costs, attorney fees
- Injunctive relief
- Misdemeanor prosecution for willful violation
- Suspension or dismissal of employee who violates act
- Defamation action
- Disciplinary action, including termination