November 29, 2012 - Winter Break Special Edition
Winter Break Housing
The communities close for Winter Break at 7:00 p.m. Friday, December 14. Breakfast and lunch will be served on this day. The communities reopen for returning students at 8:00 a.m. Friday, January 11. Lunch will be the first available meal on this day.
Before You Leave, be Sure To:
- Remove all valuable items from your room. We are unable to assume liability for the loss of personal belongings left in your room.
- Turn off and unplug computers and peripherals and all other electrical items in your room except refrigerators and aquariums.
- Return all To-Go Meal containers to the Carkoski Dining Hall.
- Remove all perishable items from your refrigerator. If you unplug your refrigerator, please defrost it a leave the refrigerator door open.
- Take all plants and fish home. If this is impossible, aquarium equipment may be left plugged in. The University assumes no liability for fish or plants left in the room.
- Stadium Heights Residents: Make sure your smoke detector has a battery and is working. You will be charged repair or replacement costs if your smoke detector is inoperable or missing a battery. Batteries are available at your front desk.
- Make sure all WINDOWS are CLOSED and LOCKED.
- Close your blinds if you live on the first floor.
- Take out your garbage.
- Turn off the alarm on your clock.
- Turn all lights off.
- CLOSE and LOCK all doors.
A staff member will be checking your room on Friday, December 14 to help secure the building.
There will be limited service available in the Student Union during the Winter Break period.
No students will be allowed access to the residence communities over break unless previous arangements have been made with the Department of Residential Life.
Leaving Your Car on Campus Over Winter Break
Only residents who are registered to stay in Crawford, McElroy, Julia Sears or Preska over Winter Break may keep their cars in on-campus parking lots. If you are going home over break you must take your car with you or find other parking arrangements. Unregistered cars may be subject to towing.
Stadium Heights residents with parking permits may keep their cars in the small parking lot in front of building 701 over Winter Break. Cars without Stadium Heights parking permits may be subject to towing.
Winter Break parking poster
Semi-Suite and Apartment Residents: Be Prepared for Winter Bathroom and Kitchen Inspections
Residents with in-room or apartment bathrooms, or apartment kitchens can avoid potential cleaning charges by having rooms ready for Winter Break inspections. Bathrooms and Kitchens that do not meet the inspection guidlines will be cleaned by University or Stadium Heights staff, and roommates will be held jointly responsible for cleaning charges. Watch your mailbox and our website for cleaning tips to help you. Inspections are scheduled for _______.
Getting a New Roommate
If you are currently living alone in a room for two residents, there is a vacant space in your apartment, or if your current roommate is not returning for Spring Semester, you will be assigned a new roommate. So, before you leave for break, make sure that a bed, a desk, a desk chair, and closet space are available for your new roommate and that your room is clean. Failure to do so may result in a minimum cleaning charge of $30.00 and a conduct hearing. The Department of Residential Life will notify you by e-mail over the break when you are assigned a roomate.
Need to Change Your Meal Plan?
You can change your meal plan for Spring Semester to the AnyTime, Maverick 160 or 14 meal plan. Please come to the Residential Life office early to fill out a Meal Plan Change Request Form.
You Can Still Sign Up to Stay in Your Own Room on Campus During Winter Break!
All current residents who will also live on campus spring semester may stay during the break.
Residents of Crawford, McElroy, Preska, and Julia Sears - Register in the Residential Life office between now and Friday, December 7 to be eligible for the early sign-up rate of $300. Those who register after December 7 pay $350.
Residents of Stadium Heights - Register in the Residential Life office or the Stadium Heights front desk by Friday, December 14. The Winter Break fee has already been included in the Stadium Heights apartment rate, so there is no additional charge to stay provided you register for Winter Break housing by December 14.
Questions? Comments? Let Us Know!