Technology Services Five Year PlanPage address: https://www.mnsu.edu/its/technologyservices/five-year-plan.html
MSU Strategic Goal Alignment FY14
Technology Service's 5-year plan Presentation October 30, 2012
Technology Services FY 16 Plan
* Service and Process Improvement
- Goal: Web Application Development with ImageNow and SharePoint to reduce waste, streamline business processes and improve workflow.
- Hire Office 365 / SharePoint developer to develop applications and workflows [August 20, 2015] [In progress]
- Develop applications and new business processes for colleges and departments that will improve service to students.
- Goal: Improve integration, interoperability and ease-of-use of unified communication systems.
- Develop analysis and improvement plan
- Communicate plan and buy-in from shared governance
- Implement improvements
- Goal: Improve security systems and move management toward the end-users.
- Gap analysis of current physical security systems. Systems include card access systems, emergency broadcast systems, key management systems, etc.
- Design improvement recommendations
- Communicate proposed improvements to campus stakeholders.
- Implement changes.
* Superlative Access To Data
- Goal: Replace network edge switches
- Purchase equipment and licenses [DONE]
- Implement plan for switch replacement [August 2015 - October 2015]
- Goal: Replace campus VoIP telephones that are end-of-life
- Purchase replacement equipment [DONE]
- Replace campus telephones [in progress]
- Goal: Improve wireless coverage and performance
- Purchase new wireless access points [DONE]
- Install 45 access points in high-density heavily-used classrooms [July - August 2015]
- Install 30 access points in CSU to improve coverage and overloaded APs.
- Install 5 access points in Memorial Library to improve coverage and overloaded APs
- Goal: Assist Res Life with High-Density wireless initiative
- Design network upgrade [DONE]
- Purchase equpment and licenses [DONE]
- Installation of equipment [in progress]
Technology Services FY 15 Plan
Technology Service's FY 14 Plan
* Service and Process Improvement
- Goal: Web Application Development with ImageNow reduce waste, streamline business processes and improve workflow.
- Hire ImageNow developer to develop applications and workflows [November 1, 2013] [COMPLETED]
- Develop applications for HR, Graduate Studies and Admissions [January 2013]
- Goal: Enable business process reengineering through use of technology and process improvement techniques.
- Goal: Assess ITS service offerings for alignment, providers, cost and effectiveness
- Complete internal assessment of service offering - align with MnSCU, University and ITS strategic goals [December 2013]
- Participate in peer reviews
- Define service performance targets [December 2013]
- Goal: Define scorecards to assess progress towards strategic goals, service and process health
* Superlative Access To Data
- Goal: Start looking at moving many of our services to the cloud
- Faculty/staff communication services along with voicemail service [spring 2014]
- Evaluation of personal drive storage [January 2014]
- Virtual cloud computing - begin testing cloud computing [winter 2013-2014]
- Goal: Improve reliability, security and speed of wireless data communication
- Expansion of wireless coverage and improved density in high-demand areas [fall 2013] [COMPLETED]
- Wireless management replacement [November 2013] [COMPLETED]
- Wireless controller replacement [winter break 2013-2014] [COMPLETED]
- Goal: Replace network switches to provide improved performance and reliability
- Phase I - Begin November 2013 - spring 2014 (70 switches) [10 Switches December] [Morris Hall, Wigley Admin and Armstrong Hall COMPLETED]
- Academic Computer Center recable and switch replacement [winter break 2013-2014] [COMPLETED]
Note: multi-year project dependant on funding
- Goal: Replace core network routers and firewalls to improve performance and reliability
- Firewall and boarder router replacement (awaiting equipment from MnSCU/MN.IT [winter break 2013-2014] [COMPLETED]
- Core router/switch replacement [HOLD FOR FUNDING]
- Fiber redundancy paths to redundant core [Spring 2013 - NOT completed]
- Goal: Implement technology to improve use of mobile devices for student learning.
- MavPRINT Mobile student printing [October 2013] [COMPLETED]
- Test Xerox mobile print option [Awaiting CSC RFP] [not completed]
- Mobile management solution [December 2013] [not completed]
- Office 2013 on MavAPPS [August 2013] [COMPLETED]
- Upgrade and expansion of cellular data repeater system [January 2014] [HOLD till 2017]
- Goal: Streamline and improve business processes and access to information to improve service to students.
- Review services and business processes [November - December 2013]
- Goal: Implement universal StarID authentication system for MSU students, faculty and staff.
- Testing and planning [August - October 2013] [COMPLETED]
- Pilot and automation [November 2013] [COMPLETED]
- StarID migration [December 19, 2013] [COMPLETED]
- Goal: Implement QlikView dashboards for self-service reporting.
- Implementation anticipated January 2014. [NOT FUNDED]
- Goal: Move Disaster Center Critical Services to Co-Location Center in Scott County.
- Projected for Summer 2014 [NOT COMPLETED]
- Need to purchase blade-type server to reduce footprint to two racks. [COMPLETED]
- Establish agreement with MN.IT to use Scott County POP. [NOT COMPLETED]
* Professional and Effective Staff
- Goal: Continue training in best-practice frameworks (ITIL, etc.)
- Continuous Service Improvement [July 2013] [DISCONTINUED]
- Cisco Mobility Wireless Design Clinic [December 12, 2013] [DONE]
- Goal: Continue to train staff in specific technologies (MSSQL, SharePoint, etc)
- SQL Server, System Center training [October - January 2013] [DONE]
- Goal: Present and attend conferences for exposure to current best practices
- Educause 2013 [COMPETE]
- MnSCU IT Conference 2014 [COMPLETE]
- MN Government IT Symposium 2013 [COMPLETE]
- Kaltura Annual Conference [COMPLETE]
* Relationships, Partnerships and Communication
- Goal: Implement new service catalog and related websites
- ITS Service Catalog [COMPLETE]
- ITS Technical Services catalog - for StarID services [October 5, 2013] [COMPLETE]
- ITS Technical Services Website redesign [January 10, 2014]
- Goal: Develop and promote media management and distribution of platform (MavTUBE) to enhance the strategic use of media throughout the University.
- Develop MavTUBE and SharePoint roll-based access to content [September 2013] [COMPLETE]
- Goal: Expand Services to ImageNow Institutions Within MnSCU.
- Added Central Lakes College December 2013 [DONE]
- Proposal to add Lake Superior College [DONE]
- Goal: Share Computing Resources and Services with MnSCU Schools.
- Off-Site Backup Co-Location Service for Normandale [December 2013] [HOLD]
- Goal: Continue and Develop Partnerships with Businesses and Government Entities.
- Execute Co-Location Service Agreement with Scott County [HOLD]
FY14 PROJECT PLAN
- StarID Migration [December 19, 2013]
- MavPRINT Student Mobile Printing [October 2013] READY FOR ROLLOUT
QlikView - Institutional Research Reporting [October 2013]
Data Warehouse and Analytics Projects [CANCELLED]
WAN Failover Redundancy Project [Winter break 2013-2014]
Firewall Replacement Project [Winter break 2013-2014]
ImageNow Audit [August - October 2013] [COMPLETE]
Network Switch Replacement (71 Switches) [Begin December 2013]
Office 365 - Voicemail Service and Faculty/Staff Cloud Migration [spring 2013]
MavNET Wireless Controller and Service Replacement [winter break 2013]
Hydra CAP Server Upgrade [December 2013]
VMware to Hyper-V Migration [Winter 2013]
Hyper-V to Azure Cloud migration [Spring 2013]
Cellular Repeater Expansion [January 2014]
Lync 2010 to 2013 upgrade [TBD]
SharePoint 2010 to 2013 upgrade [TBD]
Anti-Virus Software Replacement [September 2013] [COMPLETE]
Box Cloud Storage [Evaluation starting November 2013]
QIP Replacement [TBD]
Network Monitoring Replacement (Nagios) [Fall 2013]
USB Charging Stations and Laptop Charging Stations [TBD]
Key Box Replacement [TBD]
RFP - Long Distance Service [January 2014]
Xerox Faculty/Staff Mobile Printing [HOLD FOR CSC RFP]
ACC Recable and Switch Replacement [Winter break 2013-2014]
Replace Marginal UPSs and Batteries in Wiring Closets [October 2013) COMPLETED
MavTUBE - [September 2013] COMPLETED
MavNET Access Point Expansion (76 Access points) [August - September 2013] COMPLETED
MavAPPS - Office 2013 Virtual Applications [August 2013] COMPLETED