shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Federal Compliance

Page address:

Institutional Accreditation

Legal Status for Operation

  • Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Board Policy 1A.1
  • Minnesota Statutes Chapter 136F

Student Complaints and Grievances

Minnesota State University, Mankato has a commitment to a respectful learning environment. Students have the right to seek a remedy for when they believe a campus office/department or a Minnesota State employee treated them in an improper, unfair or arbitrary manner. Students are encouraged to resolve the matter informally before initiating the formal complaint process. Students seeking advice may contact the Minnesota State Student Association or an academic advisor. The University maintains a record of all complaints and grievances filed and are collected and archived in the Student Affairs Division. The University's Student Complaints and Grievances Policy is available [PDF] here (382 KiB).

Complaint/Grievance Procedure
The goal of the complaint/grievance procedure is to quickly address a student's question/concern about a decision, action or inaction and come to a resolution agreeable to the student and the college as soon as possible. Resources and an online form for filing a complaint is available here.
The outcome of a complaint/grievance may be appealed by the grievant or the employee(s) named in the complaint/grievance if either party has new information or evidence of procedural errors in the handling of the grievance that substantially impacted the outcome. Appeals are reviews of process, not a new examination of contested issues. Appeals must detail the grounds for appeal and identify a suggested remedy. Appeals are to be filed with the administrator responsible for the Department Head, Dean, or Vice President who responded to the complaint/grievance form, no later than 7 business days after the parties receive notice of the outcome. The administrator reviewing the appeal, or designee, may request a meeting or additional information, if needed. A written decision will be provided to all parties within 21 business days of receiving the appeal unless reasonable cause for delay exists.
Filing Appeals and Complaints with Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU)
If the complaint/grievance specifically involves a MnSCU System Board policy or the actions of the University president, a student may further appeal a University decision via a written letter to the MnSCU Chancellor in accordance with Minnesota State System Procedure 3.8.1 Student Complaints and Grievances. The decision of the Chancellor is final and binding. To contact the Chancellor's Office or submit a written appeal: Academic and Student Affairs, Office of the Chancellor, Wells Fargo Place, 30 7th Street E., Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55101-7804.
Filing Complaints with the Higher Learning Commission
Minnesota State Mankato is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). In cases that involve compliance with the standards of the University's accrediting agency, questions or concerns may be directed to: Higher Learning Commission, 230 South LaSalle St., Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411.
Out of State Student Complaints
Minnesota State Mankato is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA), which regulates the manner in which participating institutions may offer distance learning education to students who reside in other states that are members of NC-SARA.

If a student has a complaint that involves distance learning education offered under the terms and conditions of SARA, the student must file a complaint with Minnesota State Mankato first to seek resolution. If the student bringing the complaint is not satisfied with the outcome of the University's internal process for resolving complaints, the student may contact the Minnesota Office of Higher Education (MDE) for further assistance. The direct link for instructions on how to file a complaint with MDE is here.

Out of state students may also file complaints with other states. Complaint resolution contacts by state can be found here.

 Student Rights and Responsibilities

Gainful Employment Program Information

Student Achievement Information

Student Right-To-Know Information