shortcut to content
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Mankato

Academic Warning, Probation and Suspension

Page address:

When a student drops below a 2.0 cumulative MSU GPA or a a 67% cumulative total credit completion rate, they are put on Academic Warning or Academic Probation.



What happens when I am on Academic Warning or Probation? 

  1. You will be notified of your warning or probationary status by e-mail from the Academic Vice President's Office.
  2. The Arts and Humanities College Advising Office will send a follow-up email with additional information about your next steps.
  3. A registration hold for the following semester will be placed on your account.
  4. You must meet with a College Advisor, your faculty advisor and you must complete an Academic Plan.
  5. Your Financial Aid is on "WARNING" or "SUSPENSION". Please contact Campus Hub for details on your specific status.

Will I be suspended? 

To remain at the University you must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. Bring your cumulative MSU GPA up to 2.0 and your total cumulative Completion Rate up to 67% (return to Good Academic Standing); or
  2. Earn a term GPA of 2.5 and a term Completion Rate of 75% (continue on Academic Probation)

What happens if I am suspended?

  1. You cannot attend MN State Mankato, or any other Minnesota State institutions, for one full calendar year.
  2. Financial Aid is also "SUSPENDED".
  3. You must apply for reinstatement if you choose to return after a full calendar year. You can find the application steps here.
  4. Financial Aid is not automatically continued if you decide to return from suspension. There is an appeal process but certain criteria must be met. The Financial Aid appeal process can be found here.

How do my transfer credits impact my academic standing? 

Transfer credits from other institutions are calculated as part of Satisfactory Academic Progress credit completion rate. Your total cumulative credit completion rate is considered for your Academic standing.

Transfer credits from other institutions are not calculated as prt of Satisfactory Academic Progress GPA. Only your local cumulative GPA (MSU GPA) is considered for your Academic standing.


Helpful Resources

GPA Calculator

Center for Academic Success: Memorial Library Rm 125, 507-389-1791

Writing Center: Memorial Library Rm 125, 507-389-1791

Math, Science and Business Center: Memorial Library Rm 125, 507-389-1791

Counseling Center: Centennial Student Union Rm 205, 507-389-1455

Accessibilty Resources: Memorial Library Rm 132, 507-389-2825

Campus Hub/Financial Aid: 1st Floor Centennial Student Union, 507-389-1866


For more information please contact our office:

Arts & Humanities College Advising Office:
226 Armstrong Hall
Mankato, MN 56001
Phone: 507-389-1712 (V)
Fax: 507-389-5887

Office E-mail:

Gina Maahs-Zurbey, Student Relations Coordinator:

All information for both the University Policies for Suspension and Probation can also be found in the Undergraduate Catalog.