Minnesota State Mankato, as part of the MnSCU system, is bound by this policy relating to discrimination and retaliation. This policy sets forth the system's prohibition against discrimination in employment and educational opportunities for all legally protected classes, including: race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, or membership or activity in a local commission as defined by law.
This policy also states that an employee of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities shall not enter into a consensual relationship with a student or an employee over whom he or she exercises direct or otherwise significant academic, administrative, supervisory, evaluative, counseling, or extracurricular authority or influence. This prohibition does not limit the right of an employee to make a recommendation on personnel matters concerning a family or household member where the right to make recommendations on such personnel matters is explicitly provided for in the applicable collective bargaining agreement or compensation plan.
Some of the most common occurrences in today's workplace include but are not limited to: sexual harassment (creating a hostile work environment), racial discrimination, gender discrimination, and disability discrimination.
- It means: it is inappropriate to discrimination against individuals because of a protected status with respect to the terms and conditions of their employment or education.
- Additionally, employees are not permitted to date students or employees over whom they exercise direct or otherwise significant academic, administrative, supervisory, evaluative, counseling, or extracurricular authority or influence.
- A faculty member cannot date a student who is in their class, or that they advise, or coach.
- A supervisor cannot date his or her employee.
- A supervisor cannot hire a family member to work for them.
- The above policy applies to applicants for employment, employees, applicants for admission, and students.