General RulesPage address: http://www.mnsu.edu/vehicles/policies/general.html
State vehicles may be used for state travel by University faculty, staff and students. The following link from the MnSCU Board Office website offers approved procedures:
Additional University guidelines:
- All drivers of Minnesota State University, Mankato vehicles must complete the Vehicle Consent Form on our Vehicle Website: www.mnsu.edu/vehicles, follow the Vehicle Consent Form link on the far left side. An e-mail will be submitted to you to verify your status.
- Minnesota State Mankato vehicles may be driven by students if they are on official University business with departmental approval and have an approved rating on their Vehicle Consent Form.
- A CAO-38 form will be submitted to the driver for each state vehicle reservation in a state vehicle key pack at the time of pick up. Submit the beginning and ending mileage on this form along with any comments or concerns that you may have on the state vehicle that was assigned to you.
- A personal vehicle may be parked in the MSU Parking Lot 17 stall which is reserved for the state vehicle that has been reserved for you. If additional passengers have personal vehicles they must follow standard Minnesota State University parking guidelines.
- State vehicles may park in General Purple stalls without a Purple permit.
- Reserved Gold stalls are permissible with your personal Gold Permit displayed within the state vehicle.
- Driver and passengers should wear safety seat belts at all times.
- Observe the speed limit at all times while driving your assigned state vehicle.
- Traffic violations are the responsibility of the personal recipient. The University does not pay for personal traffic violations.
- We do receive calls from concerned taxpaying public when they see state vehicles exceeding the speed limit or not properly representing the State of Minnesota during their vehicle usage. Please be cautious and respectful of your driving behavior at all times.
- Avoid side-trips. The Facilities Services Office will assist you on the best trip route upon your request.
- Smoking is prohibited in all state vehicles.
- No alcoholic beverages or containers are allowed within our state vehicles.
- Vehicles should be returned with a full tank of gas. A number of our state owned vehicles are designed for the usage of E-85 fuel, when permissible fuel these dedicated vehicles with E-85. If a fuel station does not carry E-85 fuel, unleaded fuel may be used to fuel the state vehicle.
- Do not use state vehicle fuel cards for improper or personal purchase.
- Return state vehicles trash free. The following customer will appreciate your efforts.
- Pick up and return state vehicles at the designated times requested. Improper usage of a state vehicle conflicts with the following customers schedule and will initiate an additional charge to your department.
- Accidents happen. Report all accidents, scrapes, bumps, etc., immediately upon return of your state vehicle. Our automotive mechanics will follow through the appropriate procedure for automotive repairs. State of Minnesota collision insurance provides sufficient coverage for such repairs. If accident damage is substantial with concerns of safe drivability of vehicle or a second party is involved call the local police department, or 911 for assistance. MSU Security, 389-2111, should be notified. If an accident happens on MSU property call MSU Security at 389-2111 first, they will notify Mankato Police if necessary. A statea vehicle procedures manual is stored in each state vehicle's glove compartment which assists with accident protocol.
- Minnesota State University, Mankato state owned vehicles are for University faculty, staff and students only on university business. Transporting of other personnel, such as friends, or family members is prohibited within state vehicles.
- Additional guidelines may be viewed at http://www.mnscu.edu/board/procedure/5-19p3.pdf
- Installation or usage of radar-detection device in a state vehicle is prohibited.
- Modifications of a state vehicle is prohibited. This includes bike racks, luggage racks, ski racks, etc.
- State vehicles are not allowed to attach or tow personal trailers or equipment.
Personal Vehicle Use
State Employee or Volunteer Use of Personal Vehicle on State Business. New Vehicle Usage Guidelines for state vehicles and personal vehicles if used on state business.
A. Local use of personal vehicles to conduct State business shall be as follows:
- When an employee has errands or events that are a combination of personal and state business. Reimbursement of a personal vehicle would be consistent with the appropriate reimbursement rates displayed on our website and under Travel on the Business Office website, information is also displayed below. The lower mileage rate of reimbursement will be utilized.
- Reimbursement for mileage expenses should be requested on an Employee Expense Form. Students/student organizations are not eligible for reimbursement unless travel is required as part of their work assignment.
- Conducting state business compared to the location of employee's residence does not allow the opportunity to receive state vehicles from the University's Vehicle Office site. Example: Minnesota State University, Mankato employee lives and instructs a class in the metro area their personal vehicle would be used.
B. Non-local Use of Personal Vehicles:
- Employees wishing to use their personal vehicle in lieu of a state vehicle shall submit a request through the website and submit it at least one week in advance of the travel date. Please be reminded that Risk Management encourages state vehicles to be used for state business travel.
- If the form is not approved by the Facilities Services Office prior to the trip, the employee shall not receive a higher reimbursement rate for the miles driven. Exception: State vehicle is assigned but is unavailable at requested departure time due to mechanical failure or previous customer's failure to return state vehicle at designated time.
Mileage Reimbursement Rates
(New Rates Effective January 1, 2015 - December 31, 2015)
Mileage rates are used to calculate reimbursements to employees that use their personal vehicle for university business trips. Employees should note that the university actually utilizes two reimbursement rates. The IRS standard mileage reimbursement rate (57.5 cents) is used when a state owned vehicle is not available. A lesser rate (50.5 cents) is used when a state vehicle is declined or not requested by the employee.
Employees are asked to use the new mileage reimbursement rates below when completing employee expense forms for trips taken between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015.
If you have any questions regarding travel or business expense reimbursements, please contact the University’s Travel Claims Clerk, Tami Galema-Liebl (Business Services) at 389-5006.
The designated higher mileage rate of reimbursement:
- State-owned vehicle NOT available 57.5 cents per mile
- State-owned vehicle available 50.5 cents per mile
- AFSCME (#202, #203, #204, #206 & #207)
- MNSCU ADMINISTRATORS (220)
- MANAGERIAL PLAN (220)
- MSUAASF (211)
- MMA (205)
- IFO (209)
- COMMISSIONER'S PLAN (213, 217, 218)
- MAPE (214)
Individual's who choose to drive their personal vehicle to the MPLS airport on extended trips will be reimbursed 50.5 cents per mile traveled (or approved lower rate structure reimbursement). This option will allow for the best utilization of state vehicles for our University customers.
Minnesota State University, Mankato has a fleet of vehicles that may be used by our faculty, staff and students that are representing the University at state functions. These vehicles should be used for all state business when possible. If a vehicle rental is required we do have a supplemental rental agreement withEnterprise Rent-A-Car.